Jauron's "Come to Jesus" meeting with T.O.

IMHO .... much much worse for the team, city, and fans can happen.

T.O. will have the ear of the national media (as always) because they just can't wait for the next melt down. When the Bills start doing poorly (as we all know it very well may happen) T.O. will start ranting and raving about how the Bills are a two bit team playing in a two bit town. The fans will then start to get on his case and boo him out of town.

But T.O. will have another "episode" and it will be in front of a gaggle of national media and he will blame everything on the team, the town, and the fans ......... mark my words.

When willis left and gave a few "swipes" at Buffalo nobody in the media heard or cared ..... when T.O. starts, the national media will be having a field day.

How is this much different from the past few years.

The national media always has a field day with the Bills.

So what if TO calls Buffalo a 'two bit town' he wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

If he calls the Bills a 'two bit team', he'd probably be right.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the trigger to cut TO will be very short if he starts opening his mouth and bad mouthing the team or city.

I doubt he will unless the team is already imploading, in which case we are going to blow the team up at the end of the year anyway.

It will be like the Hindenberg if it happens, tragic but you won't be able to take your eyes/ears off it as the Buffalo Bills go down in flames.

RTB

IMHO .... much much worse for the team, city, and fans can happen.

T.O. will have the ear of the national media (as always) because they just can't wait for the next melt down. When the Bills start doing poorly (as we all know it very well may happen) T.O. will start ranting and raving about how the Bills are a two bit team playing in a two bit town. The fans will then start to get on his case and boo him out of town.

But T.O. will have another "episode" and it will be in front of a gaggle of national media and he will blame everything on the team, the town, and the fans ......... mark my words.

When willis left and gave a few "swipes" at Buffalo nobody in the media heard or cared ..... when T.O. starts, the national media will be having a field day.

I dunno, if you've been following the talk around TO it seems to me that there's an emerging consensus that he needs to keep his mouth shut and not stir up drama. If he starts in with trashing the team and city I think he's going to get a very chilly reception. No one will take him seriously if he starts trying to blame things on the team and fans with his track record.

Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post suggests that coach Dick Jauron was not in favor of the Bills' signing of Terrell Owens.

Lombardi notes that Jauron hasn't commented on T.O. and that CEO Russ Brandon is now the top personnel man in Buffalo. Owens makes Lee Evans and Trent Edwards better on paper, but this isn't a usual Jauron move. It does have the potential to improve Jauron's chances of keeping his job through 2010.

Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post suggests that coach Dick Jauron was not in favor of the Bills' signing of Terrell Owens.

Lombardi notes that Jauron hasn't commented on T.O. and that CEO Russ Brandon is now the top personnel man in Buffalo. Owens makes Lee Evans and Trent Edwards better on paper, but this isn't a usual Jauron move. It does have the potential to improve Jauron's chances of keeping his job through 2010.

Brandon is a marketing guy. A personnel guy? :lol:

Not the most popular post to introduce yourself with, but welcome aboard anyway. :lol:

Anybody who has there doubts about how well TO will do here in Buffalo really shouldn't be playing, judge jury and executioner before he even has a fair chance. TO was used as a scapegoat in Dallas and if you try to tell me TO wasn't doing a good job there when he scored more TD's then any other WR in the game during his stay, I'm not buying it. :lol:

No doubt the guy will put up big numbers, I'm excited to see him in our colors. I just hope he doesn't tear down the clubhouse, but then again it's not like we've been a playoff team before. Maybe since Buffalo lacks the major media outlets he will behave, I just don't know. Anyways, on the field it's a great move. Cancer is internal.

Guest dog14787
we already had cancer. people just don't get it

Its not your fault because the word gets kicked around allot, but My Mom is battling cancer right now and I'm sure almost every family in our nation has had cancer touch their lives in one way or another, don't you think we can find better terminology. :lol:

Gee whiz...if only all of his other coaches had just sat down with him before the season started, he would have been just fine. Maybe Philly and Dallas made him feel it was ok to assuem HE was in charge. It was all just repeated cases of miscommunication!

DJ is so smart--he went to Princeton or something!

And the best part was having to explain that Evans will still be getting some passes. This is the part where TO stopped listening to DJ.

No doubt the guy will put up big numbers, I'm excited to see him in our colors. I just hope he doesn't tear down the clubhouse, but then again it's not like we've been a playoff team before. Maybe since Buffalo lacks the major media outlets he will behave, I just don't know. Anyways, on the field it's a great move. Cancer is internal.

To continue beating the cancer analogy because to some extent it fits, one of the other pieces of handling cancer which often works is that the disease takes time to form and different treatments work when you get their early.

This is the case with TO in this situation as I have little doubt that he will have a petulant brat meltdown at some point when he is here, but the tools have been put in place by the situation and the 1 year down that as a Bills fan I have little worry about him melting down this year.

A player becomes a cancer when he divides the locker room. For example in Philly there were some vets who were McNabb guys and some vets who were TO guys and when the fight boiled into the public the media had a grand time fanning the flames of division.

However, with a 1 year deal and the forewarning which comes with TO having jumped ship in Philly and having to be cut by Jerry Jones, I really doubt that TO is going to be able to divide the locker room with a half a season, 3/4 of a season or even a full season of great play. Even if he pulls some his historic antics like the Sharpie show or the pom-pom show these are merely going to be seen as antics which actually lessen the effectiveness he would have in building friendships and a fan base here.

The general word was that 2/3 of NFL teams already were not in the Terrell market because of his bad rep and actually the fact one of the best WRs in the history of the NFL could be had for a mere $6 million (chump change in today's NFL) and no upfront money speaks volumes about the likelihood that if the Bills do not want to re-sign TO after this year or even cut him during the season that it likely it for him getting one more big contract.

TO has always been about TO. This year it is pretty clear that this one year is a try-out for TO to solidify his image (actually I think this of little real value to TO since he is legend in his own mind) and to gin up interest in what will be an FA year for him next year (I think TO loves being a star and even he knows that star will burn brightly if he has a level of his usual productivity even with the likely decline of age he will meet or exceed the standards of achievement obtained by the Bills WRs the last few years AND he is not seen as a cancer).

My sense is that the outcome of the year will be:

1. TO is getting older but can still produce something akin to the 1000 yds and 10+ TDs he has reached the past three years, even if he drops to 800 yards and 8 TDs he is among the best Bills WRs, makes Evans a better player, and far exceeds what we have gotten from our #2 WR.

2. TO likely plays the game of being a good scout for a year as some feel he generally is and as he generally has been able to do at his previous stops. If there is a tough decision to be made by the Bills its whether to try to re-sign him next year and if the predictions of those who claim he will meltdown after mid-season this actually makes the Bills decision next off-season quite easy.

3. If TO surprises everyone and actually had a productive year both on and off the field, the Bills would actually have an inside track on signing him if they want to and could even tag him at a huge but not unreasonable one year cost at the average pay of the top 5 WRs.

The experience clearly shows that TO will meltdown eventually, but again the experience shows that this is unlikely to happen in his first year here and even if it does it makes the decision to let him go an easy one.

I do not think anyone should reasonably be worried about the outcome of this deal. Even at its worst we are no worse off than we would have been.

Found this nugget on SI.com:

Peter King says he was told that Owens had a "come to Jesus" meeting with Bills head coach Dick Jauron. And Owens met with Buffalo's offensive coaching staff. The Bills wanted to make sure T.O. understands that Lee Evans is still going to get a lot of passes.

---------

My comment - I am not a DJ fan but I have to say this was a smart tactic for the Bills to employ. Since TO is basically auditioning for the rest of the NFL this year, it was smart to take the approach from Day 1 that the organization, and not TO, is in charge. Any disciplinary action taken by the Bills publicly against T.O. will be another nail in his coffin and I think it was smart to lay down the law right from the start.

Houston, I have a minor problem. Could you post the link of this article please?

I read MMQB this morning and another Peter King/Terrell Owens piece and didn't see the sentence you're referring to.

Thanks and welcome.

TO has motivation to perform and behave. It's in the form of a one year contract playing for a team in a small market. He also knows most teams didn't want him and he has something to prove after the Dallas issues.

He's got some records to break this year, too. :blink:

Found this nugget on SI.com:

Peter King says he was told that Owens had a "come to Jesus" meeting with Bills head coach Dick Jauron. And Owens met with Buffalo's offensive coaching staff. The Bills wanted to make sure T.O. understands that Lee Evans is still going to get a lot of passes.

---------

My comment - I am not a DJ fan but I have to say this was a smart tactic for the Bills to employ. Since TO is basically auditioning for the rest of the NFL this year, it was smart to take the approach from Day 1 that the organization, and not TO, is in charge. Any disciplinary action taken by the Bills publicly against T.O. will be another nail in his coffin and I think it was smart to lay down the law right from the start.

I'm glad that they're asserting to Owens that Evans is number one right away. But with Owens a great over-the-middle receiver and Trent's tendency to shy away from the long bombs, I expect Ownes to have just as many or more catches than Evans but for Evans to have more yards.

Having two number one receivers is a good problem to have.

It's all about winning. Victory has a thousand fathers, defeat is an orphan.

If the Bills win, then signing TO will have been everybody's idea and he'll be a solid team guy.

If they lose, then no one will take credit and T.O. will probably implode because he's not getting the ball more to "help the Bills win".

It's really that simple IMHO.