A TBD request for an ESPN.com post

This is what I sent:

As a long time Bills fan (35 years) who just happens to now live in Dallas I have watched the T.O. signing with interest and frankly, shock... His history suggests that he will not.

TO's history SCREAMS he will make an impact, in the first year. (And, of course, this is a one-year deal.)

As for overpaying, he is getting less (again for one year) than Coles wanted (and got)...and he is being paid millions less than Lee Evans, for that one year.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My contribution from Baltimore:

From a diehard Bills fan via twobillsdrive.com:

Most of us Bills fans have laughed at the problems T.O. has had in other places, but now that he is a Bill, I'm half startled and half excited. The odds were long that he'd sign, and even longer that he'll stay after a year, but Dick Jauron has no excuses anymore. The Bills have the tools to get to the playoffs with T.O., so I think Jauron's results will be the bigger story come November and December.

Just telling the truth :thumbsup:

TO's history SCREAMS he will make an impact, in the first year. (And, of course, this is a one-year deal.)

As for overpaying, he is getting less (again for one year) than Coles wanted (and got)...and he is being paid millions less than Lee Evans, for that one year.

Dean - T.O. has had numbers but you also have to question at what expense. He has demanded the ball and the attention of the offensive coordinator. The Cowgirls played this out with him for a while but it did not lead to victories. Also, go back and read the Ross Tucker article and post recently up on the board.

Ross Tucker

In the article Ross clrearly said a prima donna can set your team back. Why do you think the cowgirls let T.O. walk and why were so many other teams refusing to bring him in? For exactly this reason. TO at his best is a heck of a WR at his worst he is cancer and a crybaby. Which version will play in Buffalo? We can only hope it is the productive T.O.

Also for those that believe T.O. is a leader, where does his history suggest that he has been? The guy has been productive at times. In no way is he a leader like Thurman Thomas was. Thurman demanded 100% from his teammates but then gave 120% of himself on the field. T.O. has had the history of demanding 120% of the teams focus be on him and then his play will range from 80% effort to 100% effort.

This could be a huge signing for Buffalo or it might just be a colossal flop. Time will tell.

I just want to thank everybody for contributing. I didn't want to look into the mailbag to see how the responses were going until this afternoon (watched pot never boils, and all that), and I must say I'm blown away by the volume. I'll be posting your comments today.

Again, thanks for the passionate response. People will love reading your take on the Owens deal.

As Bills Correspondent for www.DraftTek.com, I am excited by the T.O. signing.

It tells me that the Bills are committed to improving its team, and not only offense. TO will keep drives going, which will benefit the defense, and score touchdowns, which will benefit our strong spepcial teams play.

TO is a red zone advantage, and will divert attention from our other playmakers.

Finally, bringing in a playmaker is exactly what Ralph said he wanted. I don't think we're done in FA. Scheffler or Gonzalez may not be far behind.

Dean - T.O. has had numbers but you also have to question at what expense. He has demanded the ball and the attention of the offensive coordinator. The Cowgirls played this out with him for a while but it did not lead to victories. Also, go back and read the Ross Tucker article and post recently up on the board.

Ross Tucker

In the article Ross clrearly said a prima donna can set your team back. Why do you think the cowgirls let T.O. walk and why were so many other teams refusing to bring him in? For exactly this reason. TO at his best is a heck of a WR at his worst he is cancer and a crybaby. Which version will play in Buffalo? We can only hope it is the productive T.O.

Also for those that believe T.O. is a leader, where does his history suggest that he has been? The guy has been productive at times. In no way is he a leader like Thurman Thomas was. Thurman demanded 100% from his teammates but then gave 120% of himself on the field. T.O. has had the history of demanding 120% of the teams focus be on him and then his play will range from 80% effort to 100% effort.

This could be a huge signing for Buffalo or it might just be a colossal flop. Time will tell.

I think you missed the point of the tucker article. Tucker was saying that when you give a guy a ton of guaranteed money and a long term contract he can do whatever he wants because the team knows to cut him they'll have to take a huge financial hit. This is not at all the case with the bills and owens, in fact it's quite the opposite. If the bills want to cut owens mid season they can do so with almost zero financial or long term repercussions. Therefore, if he wants to have a future in the league beyond this year, he knows he has to be on his best behavior.

A quick heads up ...

The response was so overwhelming, I won't be able to use everybody's submission. The file would be too huge ... even for the internet.

You can delete mine... no sense causing the whole internet to crash.

A quick heads up ...

The response was so overwhelming, I won't be able to use everybody's submission. The file would be too huge ... even for the internet.

My involvement has been known to crash the internet so be careful...

A quick heads up ...

In that case, here's mine:

Tim,

I've been wrestling with this all day, but in all honesty I love the move. The Bills have some potentially very good WR's in J. Hardy and S. Johnson, but they are entering their second year (and Hardy is still recovering from ACL surgery). Buffalo needed a big, strong possession receiver to compliment the speedy Evans. Galloway and Holt didn't really fit that mold. Coles sort of did (even though he is only 5'11") with his playing style, but he was absurdly overpaid by the Bungles. Owens is a future hall of famer, no doubt, and was obtained at a relative bargain. It should also be noted that his first year with every team (SF, Philly, Dallas) he's been a veritable angel. It's also a smart move for Buffalo because it makes them instantly attractive from a national standpoint and will sell tickets as well as attract primetime television coverage. The risk is that he breaks Edwards' mind but Edwards hasn't proven he's an NFL QB yet so so be it.

Hopefully this works out for Buffalo. Hopefully Hardy makes a full recovery and him and/or Johnson are ready to be a legit #2 in 2010. But now Buffalo has the playmakers to be a contender in the AFC. Hopefully the coaching staff will be up to the task.

I no longer live in Buffalo and have found it harder and harder to follow the Bills because they're just terrible. After I found out that Dick Jauron was going to be retained after this season, I decided to financially and emotionally throw in the towel. I wasn't going to quit the team and jump ship for the Patriots or anything like that, but I wasn't going to spend my Sundays spending an assload of money sitting in a NE bar to watch the game on direct tv nor was I going to purchase any more Bills merchandise. I figured, if the management didn't give a sh--, then I wasn't going to give a sh-- either.

This signing puts me right back on the wagon. Do I think T.O. is going to solve all of our offensive problems? No. But I do believe that this move helps the team as we really have no stand out offensive player. There is player on the team before the TO signing that I could look to or rely on to score the winning TD when the game is on the line. The Bills now not only have someone that they could rely on to get them out of a tight jam, they also have a player that will draw attention and free up some of our other "star" players.

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.