PFW: Bills prioritizing downfield pass catching TE in draft...

in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round...

now with the Owens signing, this could make us into a dynamic offense....

Ingram would have been the #1 TE in the draft if he hadn't been injured. He was supposedly medically cleared to play the last two games, but there was no reason to take any chances with all that rust. Best I could say about him is that the talent is there, but it's at best a risk that might take time to pay off. If he were still around in the 3rd I'd be surprised, but it would be a no-brainer pick. 2nd? I don't know. Wouldn't hate the pick, but it's chancy.

Can't say I know a whole lot about Case other than what I've read. Think I saw 1 Rice game this year and I can't remember him standing out.

Chase Coffman. The guy catches anything thrown his way. Never drops a pass. His dad was an All Pro with Green Bay. I'm telling you, he is going to be a perennial all pro. trade down a few slots in the second and take Chase Coffman.

NCAA all time leader in receptions by a TE....what more can you ask for? :thumbdown::D:thumbsup:

Ingram would have been the #1 TE in the draft if he hadn't been injured. He was supposedly medically cleared to play the last two games, but there was no reason to take any chances with all that rust. Best I could say about him is that the talent is there, but it's at best a risk that might take time to pay off. If he were still around in the 3rd I'd be surprised, but it would be a no-brainer pick. 2nd? I don't know. Wouldn't hate the pick, but it's chancy.

Can't say I know a whole lot about Case other than what I've read. Think I saw 1 Rice game this year and I can't remember him standing out.

I think he'll be off the board in the second, but Shawn Nelson seems to be a late riser. He had a fine Senior Bowl, and pancaked Maualuga in drills.

Casey will be a 25 year old rookie, and doesn't seem to have the blocking ability Buffalo might want. He had great production, but it was Rice.

Ingram put on 15 pounds and is coming off the ACL tear, but he's the type who if recovered, has the speed to stretch the field. I still believe any receivers coming out of UF need to prove they're capable of playing in a NFL offense and not the spread.

Jared Cook lit up the combine in terms of measurable 4.40 forty and 41 inch vert, I like the highlight tapes of Ingram he understands how to use his body and catches the ball well, Shawn Nelson alos looked fluid at the combine.

But really I'm not sure our offense needs vertical TE. T.O and Lee can both work well down the seams, Roscoe and Reed are capable slot guys. From a TE stand point I think we need a guy who can block linebackers and D.E, start from the H-back position release into the flats, and just find open holes in zones. Honestly I'd be happy to roll with Schouman, Fine maybe add a guy through F.A like Kleinsasser, Tony Curtis or Estandia. Then see if we can hit a on a late round pick at TE.

Does anyone else feel like there are 2-3 TEs you wouldn't mind having, and pettigrew is not one of them. I hope we don't take him in the 1st.

Pettigrew is still my first choice, and I would like the pick if they took him in the first. I think DE is the bigger priority there, but there aren't any in this draft I consider good enough to (A) use that pick on, and (B) fill the need we have for an elite DE.

If you've seen Pettigrew play, you know he can catch the ball and that he's tough as nails. Speed is his only issue, and speed aint everything.

I think we go DE/DT in first round, DE/DT (whatever we didnt pick in the first) in the second round, and then as the third round approaches we just see if TE's start falling off the board, if they do then we trade into the end of the second round and grab one of the 4 good TE's, if not then we pick the one we like best with our normal pick in the third round. This is going to be a fun year as long as we sign a good OLB and LG soon and draft like this.

As a big Florida Gator fan, I can tell ya we thought the season was over when Ingram was lost for the season in early drills. Yes, we had Rainy, Murphy, James and a couple guys names Harvin and Tebow, but Ingram became such a stud TE the year earlier, many of us felt he was the key to a Championship.

Obviously, we were joyously incorrect, but Ingram can take a game over!

Still a big -and unexpected- hole at guard to fill, but YES, let's get a new TE!

Does anyone else feel like there are 2-3 TEs you wouldn't mind having, and pettigrew is not one of them. I hope we don't take him in the 1st.

Absolutely TE is 3rd to 5th round.

Also I am not sure the Bills need that Nelson - Cook - hybrid type TE/WR Field stretching TE with Owens and Evans on board next season.

Remember there is just one Ball. Our TE needs to catch 35- 40 passes a season. Move the chains, hold on to the ball, run after the catch and Block his butt off.

I like Gronkowski in the 4th or 5th round not just because his is local. I heard the SEC safety from Oregon on Sirus say Gronkowski was the best TE he faced. Big strong and Fast. His combine numbers outstanding, He is more athletic and faster than Pettigrew AND He really wants to play here.

Also I am not sure the Bills need that Nelson - Cook - hybrid type TE/WR Field stretching TE with Owens and Evans on board next season.

Remember there is just one Ball. Our TE needs to catch 35- 40 passes a season. Move the chains, hold on to the ball, run after the catch and Block his butt off.

Think long-term, though! When Owens leaves, we're going to need a pass catching TE. We've been searching for one for years and years now. Lets not allow that search to continue if we don't have to.

NCAA all time leader in receptions by a TE....what more can you ask for? :thumbdown::D:thumbsup:

He, not literally...actually, cannot block at all. Great receiving threat, who is utterly worthless in the running game. Every time he's on the field, the Defense can disregard a running play.

Call me a pessimist, I think we can ask for more.

I've got to do a little more research on James Casey.

His stats are just insane, 1329 all purpose yards and 13 TDs this year. I know about his background in baseball and coming into the NFL as a 24 year old, but I still am shaky on how the guy is as a blocker.

I dont care if he played for a weaker team, those type of numbers dont just happen every day.

I can't but agree 100% with you. Pettigrew is not in my top 10 for TE's. Coffman, Casey and a few others some first.

I'll take Travis Beckum. If he hadn't been hurt, he would have been a 1st rounder this year. He is 6'3" 243, runs a 4.60 (while not being 100%), had the most combine bench press reps, had 61 catches 903 yards 5 tds in his soph, and 75 catches 982 yards 6tds in his junior year.

Lets review... hes the strongest TE, the fastest when healthy, and extremely productive.

I'll take Travis Beckum. If he hadn't been hurt, he would have been a 1st rounder this year. He is 6'3" 243, runs a 4.60 (while not being 100%), had the most combine bench press reps, had 61 catches 903 yards 5 tds in his soph, and 75 catches 982 yards 6tds in his junior year.

Lets review... hes the strongest TE, the fastest when healthy, and extremely productive.

I am gonna argue the fastest statement. Check the combine results, but great production. As far as 6'3 I'd personally prefer a 6'5 guy.

I am gonna argue the fastest statement. Check the combine results, but great production. As far as 6'3 I'd personally prefer a 6'5 guy.

He ran a 4.60 while only being 80% back from a broken leg. He could easily run in the high 4.4's to the low 4.5's if he was 100%.

Pettigrew is the best, there is no doubt in my mind that he will be one of the best all around TE's coming from the draft this year. He is what a true Tight End should be. People see his 40 time and then they want to immediately disregard him. Obviously that is logic that is flawed. If people have seen him play, then they know that he is going to be one hell of a pro football player. In my view he is an upgraded version of Heath Miller.

Having said that, This year's draft is so deep for TE's, it would be logical to either trade down to get Pettigrew, or pickup one of the other promising Tight End's in the 3rd-5th rounds.