Ask Tim Graham

Lori

Well, since Dock and Royal aren't on the team, the first lineup isn't an option. How about presenting REAL options with, and without, Peters.

My point was even without Peters we may be able to break even or do a little better on offense as opposed to last year- I don't know if anyone tried to make the case for resigning Peters more than me (except for Mickey of course) but if he can't meet the Bills at 9.5mil a year, well I can't make that case anymore- 9.5 is good faith, it's top five LT money and that's what Jason Peters is a Top 5 OT, what he's not is the best OT in the NFL, I think the whole thing was handled badly by both sides from the beginning and bridges were burnt.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the alternative is some sort of trade where we end up replacing him with a first round OT, won't we be paying that rookie pretty close to what Peters is asking? Seems to me I would rather pay a little extra for a pro bowler in the hand rather than a rookie in the bush.

Sorry to muck up the Tim thread, but not even close. Last year at #11, McKelvin got a 5 year 19 million dollar deal with 12 guaranteed i think. An OT at #11 would be much less than half of what Peters is asking.

I think if they trade Peters it is because they really have little choice. Keeping him means having a disgruntled player that could become a locker room cancer. If that is the case it does not matter who is left, you trade him.

Not a cancer. He's never been a cancer. But certainly a distraction. Which is bad enough.

Sorry to muck up the Tim thread, but not even close. Last year at #11, McKelvin got a 5 year 19 million dollar deal with 12 guaranteed i think. An OT at #11 would be much less than half of what Peters is asking.

Fair enough but the 2007 11th got 16.7 so the increase this year would put the 11th at 22.1 assuming all the deals go the same which they won't. Mayo at 10 got a million less than the RB at 13 last year. That is a lot of money for a guy who has never played a down in the NFL. I'd still take the pro bowler even with the next Mike Williams at half price. Even if that picks turns out ok, it won't be right away.

The whole point of scouting and drafting is to get top talent on to the roster, not losing top talent in exchange for a 325 pound sack of "maybe". Just my opinion.

If this was the case then Peters would have a deal and not be considered trade bait. However since he may be on the trade block it is because the Bills do not want a prolonged holdout and potential locker room problem. I stick by my original statement if the Bills trade him it is to maximize the return, not to replace him with a rookie. I am not saying they dont pick a O-tackle with that pick, they may. I am just saying they do the trade no matter who is left. It doesnt really matter this team is not playoff ready let alone Superbowl ready, there will be more holes then players to fill them come draft day. If Ralph was really worried about winning a championship he wouldnt have worried about having to pay DJ and Brandons contract and cleaned house. This would be a good year to do it, with GMs like Lombardi and coaches with rings like Cowher, Gruden, and Billick all available(probably have to pay alot for Cowher). If Ralph really did not care about money he would give Peters 11.5 million a year rather then 9.5 million a year. Ralph is a business man first, thats why Polian was canned instead of his accountant. Trust me to Ralph the bottom line matters, the team needs to be an easy sell for when he dies because they need the liquid assets to cover what I am sure is going to be a alot in Inheritance tax. He may not have that money without the sale of his team, and the worry of leaving that on his spouse and children I am sure are on his mind more then a championship(as it probably should be).

What evidence do you have that Peters is "on the trade block"? It does not follow that if, as I believe, Ralph's primary goal is a trophy before he dies, that Peters would be singed. You run out of money for the rest of your talent in this league if you spend money you don't have to spend. So you do all you can to get the best deal you can which easily explains the negotiations and how hard they are, between the FO and Peters' agent. Which, by the way, we know are actually going on which is more than I can say about the trade speculation.

What evidence do you have that Peters is "on the trade block"? It does not follow that if, as I believe, Ralph's primary goal is a trophy before he dies, that Peters would be singed. You run out of money for the rest of your talent in this league if you spend money you don't have to spend. So you do all you can to get the best deal you can which easily explains the negotiations and how hard they are, between the FO and Peters' agent. Which, by the way, we know are actually going on which is more than I can say about the trade speculation.

Does it really take a leap of faith to think they are open to trading Peters. Also if you read what I wrote I said that since he may on the trade block. I also stand by my comment that Ralphs primary goal is no longer winning a championship but making the team as easy a sell as he can for his families sake. It is very possible that with the Bills his Net Worth far outwieghs his liquid assets, after he passes it is a real possibilty that his love ones would have to pay more in Inheritance Tax then money they have to pay it. He probably wants a quick sell of the team so his family does not have that hardship. Which I stated I dont think is a bad thing his families well-being should be his primary concern. Ralph has done nothing to show he will do whatever it takes to get a Lombardi before he dies, did he fire any staff after going 2-8 in the last 10 games no he didnt( I tend to believe that they wouldnt fire the staff if they went 2-14 next year). If he did he would have to pay the contracts of both the fired staff and new staff and Ralph wont do that-never has with anyone with more then a year left on their contract).Also no matter what Raplh's true intentions are this team is not playoff ready with or without Peters and it is pretty Mute. Even the TO signing I feel was more about selling tickets then winning. While the negotiations you talk about seem very one-sided which make them even more difficult. I never said I wanted Peters traded, I want to keep him, it feels however that this is going down hill fast.

Does it really take a leap of faith to think they are open to trading Peters.

While I don't think they will ending up trading Peters, and don't think they should, the Bills' FO wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't listen to possible trade offers.

Some people (Jay Cutler, for example) simply can't understand that Front Offices should always be testing the market, to see what is available, and at what price.

Sirrus NFL talk radio reported that the Minnesota Vikings have eliminated 79 players from thier draft board due to, "Character" or "injury" issues.

To the best of your knowledge is this what the Bills do as well? Let's say that Pettigrew was a character concern would a team eliminate him from consideration in any round?

It makes sense to me that a player could drop a round or two and in a few cases be dropped completely but 79 seems like a lot of players to me.

What have you heard as to how the Bills or other teams approach this?

Tim, I've heard conflicting reports about Lynch's meeting with the Commissioner. Was he called in or did he ask for it? Did he ask for it because he knew he was going to be called in anyway? B-)

Lynch and his representation asked for the meeting to move along the process and try to impress upon the commissioner that he will make changes in his life.

Sirrus NFL talk radio reported that the Minnesota Vikings have eliminated 79 players from thier draft board due to, "Character" or "injury" issues.

To the best of your knowledge is this what the Bills do as well? Let's say that Pettigrew was a character concern would a team eliminate him from consideration in any round?

It makes sense to me that a player could drop a round or two and in a few cases be dropped completely but 79 seems like a lot of players to me.

What have you heard as to how the Bills or other teams approach this?

I think teams measure character differently. Some will put a line through their name before the draft ever begins. Others will weigh what they know if the time comes that a player is available when they're on the clock. Drafting is an art more than a science. Character is an issue in all 32 draft rooms, but there probably are 32 different ways to plug it into an evaluation process.

i think the "jason peters watch" is beginning to wear on fans...

and nothing of substance was reported. Of course Brandon "expects" Peters to be on the team, he is currently under contract Brnadon makes a few generic statement and everyone starts reading too much into them. McDaniel said he expected Cutler to be his startiing QB 2 days before he was traded.

Tim,

Any idea if the Bills are looking to shore up their RB spot before the Draft? They seem to be interviewing quite a bit of RBs lately...do you think they'll make a move soon or wait to see whats available in the Draft?

They are trying to do that, but it's not considered a high priority. They're looking for a reliable body.

i think the "jason peters watch" is beginning to wear on fans...

I agree, but it's coming to a head within the next 10 days. If he doesn't get traded before the draft, the chances of him getting traded at all this year become tiny.