Ask Tim Graham

Lori

As an outside observer looking in I think if Peters is traded it will be after the Lions select first. I feel the Lions are the Bills best trade partner if they would unload pick number 20 and a third or fourth rounder. If the Lions trade for Peters now everyone knows they will take Stafford 1st overall. This prohibits the Lions from negotiaitng with Stafford for a more cost friendly contract(because he will then know he is going number one), and negotiating with other teams who may try to trade up to take on of the top O-lineman. I think the Millenless Lions are trying to position themselves to get Stafford and a top tackle with there first two picks the only way they can do that is with trading for Peters.

I think the Bills might wait until they see if Andre Smith or Michael Oher are there at 11 before trading Peters- I'd want Detroit's picks at 20, and 33 for Peters and whatever we get for Parrish or Parrish himself, Parrish might make a pretty good WR opposite C. Johnson.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the "NFL Total Access" replay, and Lombardi didn't mention any proposed numbers. In fact, he didn't even mention that a recent offer had been made at all. Where did you get the $9.75 million?

Lombardi did say he thought it was a 75 percent possibility IF a team can satisfy the Bills with a "high first-round pick and some other things helping it" and Peters' salary demands.

I don't think Lombardi is blowing smoke, but what he said sounded more like educated speculation than insider info.

I swore I heard it....but I was also writing/editing a whitepaper.... :lol: That's why I didn't start the 2 millionth Peters thread and went to the absolute impeccable source of all Bills knowledge for guidance.....

As an outside observer looking in I think if Peters is traded it will be after the Lions select first. I feel the Lions are the Bills best trade partner if they would unload pick number 20 and a third or fourth rounder. If the Lions trade for Peters now everyone knows they will take Stafford 1st overall. This prohibits the Lions from negotiaitng with Stafford for a more cost friendly contract(because he will then know he is going number one), and negotiating with other teams who may try to trade up to take on of the top O-lineman. I think the Millenless Lions are trying to position themselves to get Stafford and a top tackle with there first two picks the only way they can do that is with trading for Peters.

I believe Stafford has already revealed he is in negotiating with the Lions as their #1 pick. I heard it on Sirius NFL. No link though.

PTR

I believe Stafford has already revealed he is in negotiating with the Lions as their #1 pick. I heard it on Sirius NFL. No link though.

PTR

I thought I heard the Lions were negotiation with more than one player...but I might be confused about that.

I thought I heard the Lions were negotiation with more than one player...but I might be confused about that.

No, your not confused....at least not this time.

Yesterday, SI.com’s Peter King wrote in his Monday Morning QB column that the Lions have narrowed their list down to three players: quarterback Matthew Stafford, linebacker Aaron Curry and offensive lineman Jason Smith.

It seems clear that they would prefer to take Stafford, but would also prefer to have their picked signed....thus leaving open the door for Smith and Curry.

I think the Bills might wait until they see if Andre Smith or Michael Oher are there at 11 before trading Peters- I'd want Detroit's picks at 20, and 33 for Peters and whatever we get for Parrish or Parrish himself, Parrish might make a pretty good WR opposite C. Johnson.

I think if they trade Peters it is because they really have little choice. Keeping him means having a disgruntled player that could become a locker room cancer. If that is the case it does not matter who is left, you trade him.

I swore I heard it....but I was also writing/editing a whitepaper.... :devil: That's why I didn't start the 2 millionth Peters thread and went to the absolute impeccable source of all Bills knowledge for guidance.....

That was your second mistake.

Do you want to bet $100 right now that he signs with the Bills?

By the way, on Total Access that you were wondering about, Lombardi said Peters was asking for "ultimately over 10 million a year"

That's asking price, and not more than 11 mil.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fc1f1b

I don't understand why they don't sign him. I'm starting to think the problem is over guaranteed monies.

I hope so.

If Detroit chooses Stafford it's probably going to blow up in their face ala Alex Smith with the 49ers.

This may be a situation where I think the Bills just need to give into him. Give him his money, pack it with lots of incentives, and let's get back to work.

If the alternative is some sort of trade where we end up replacing him with a first round OT, won't we be paying that rookie pretty close to what Peters is asking? Seems to me I would rather pay a little extra for a pro bowler in the hand rather than a rookie in the bush.

I think if they trade Peters it is because they really have little choice. Keeping him means having a disgruntled player that could become a locker room cancer. If that is the case it does not matter who is left, you trade him.

I don't think a team that just singed Terrel Owens is all that worried about locker room cancers. I think they are depsperate to win. Ralph, God bless him, can't live forever and wants a championship a lot more than he wants to secure a price tag of 9.9 gazillion dollars for the franchise when sold after he is gone rather than a measley 9.7 gazillion dollars.

That was your second mistake.

Tim any chance you will be at RWS for the draft? I will save you a chair in the Paul McGuire Club. 5-6 of us are serious draftniks for many years, besides being long time season ticket holders. A few are long time posters here but will let them chime it if they want. We come very well prepared....and that might be an understatement :devil:

I don't think a team that just singed Terrel Owens is all that worried about locker room cancers. I think they are depsperate to win. Ralph, God bless him, can't live forever and wants a championship a lot more than he wants to secure a price tag of 9.9 gazillion dollars for the franchise when sold after he is gone rather than a measley 9.7 gazillion dollars.

If this was the case then Peters would have a deal and not be considered trade bait. However since he may be on the trade block it is because the Bills do not want a prolonged holdout and potential locker room problem. I stick by my original statement if the Bills trade him it is to maximize the return, not to replace him with a rookie. I am not saying they dont pick a O-tackle with that pick, they may. I am just saying they do the trade no matter who is left. It doesnt really matter this team is not playoff ready let alone Superbowl ready, there will be more holes then players to fill them come draft day. If Ralph was really worried about winning a championship he wouldnt have worried about having to pay DJ and Brandons contract and cleaned house. This would be a good year to do it, with GMs like Lombardi and coaches with rings like Cowher, Gruden, and Billick all available(probably have to pay alot for Cowher). If Ralph really did not care about money he would give Peters 11.5 million a year rather then 9.5 million a year. Ralph is a business man first, thats why Polian was canned instead of his accountant. Trust me to Ralph the bottom line matters, the team needs to be an easy sell for when he dies because they need the liquid assets to cover what I am sure is going to be a alot in Inheritance tax. He may not have that money without the sale of his team, and the worry of leaving that on his spouse and children I am sure are on his mind more then a championship(as it probably should be).

If this was the case then Peters would have a deal and not be considered trade bait. However since he may be on the trade block it is because the Bills do not want a prolonged holdout and potential locker room problem. I stick by my original statement if the Bills trade him it is to maximize the return, not to replace him with a rookie. I am not saying they dont pick a O-tackle with that pick, they may. I am just saying they do the trade no matter who is left. It doesnt really matter this team is not playoff ready let alone Superbowl ready, there will be more holes then players to fill them come draft day. If Ralph was really worried about winning a championship he wouldnt have worried about having to pay DJ and Brandons contract and cleaned house. This would be a good year to do it, with GMs like Lombardi and coaches with rings like Cowher, Gruden, and Billick all available(probably have to pay alot for Cowher). If Ralph really did not care about money he would give Peters 11.5 million a year rather then 9.5 million a year. Ralph is a business man first, thats why Polian was canned instead of his accountant. Trust me to Ralph the bottom line matters, the team needs to be an easy sell for when he dies because they need the liquid assets to cover what I am sure is going to be a alot in Inheritance tax. He may not have that money without the sale of his team, and the worry of leaving that on his spouse and children I am sure are on his mind more then a championship(as it probably should be).

I would prefer that Peters be resigned but, check this out, say Andre Smith is there at 11 we take him then trade Peters to Detroit for pick 20 and their 3rd rd - with 20 we take Pettigrew- so which would you rather have - Peters LT, Dockery LG, Fowler C, Royal TE or Bell LT, Andre Smith LG, Hangartner C, Pettigrew TE

I would prefer that Peters be resigned but, check this out, say Andre Smith is there at 11 we take him then trade Peters to Detroit for pick 20 and their 3rd rd - with 20 we take Pettigrew- so which would you rather have - Peters LT, Dockery LG, Fowler C, Royal TE or Bell LT, Andre Smith LG, Hangartner C, Pettigrew TE

Well, since Dock and Royal aren't on the team, the first lineup isn't an option. How about presenting REAL options with, and without, Peters.

Tim any chance you will be at RWS for the draft? I will save you a chair in the Paul McGuire Club. 5-6 of us are serious draftniks for many years, besides being long time season ticket holders. A few are long time posters here but will let them chime it if they want. We come very well prepared....and that might be an understatement :rolleyes:

There is a chance, and that's a good idea. Maybe I will cover it from there instead of the media room.

I hope to be back in Buffalo by the end of the month to do some house shopping, and I'm trying to coordinate so that I can be there for the draft. But too much is up in the air. I'll keep you posted.