Fox Sports/Pat Moran reports Bills not confident they will get Coles

Now Moran says the Bills may offer a fourth year and can easily match whatever Cinci offers Coles. Take it all with a bulldozer of salt. There is obviously and understandably a lot of bullschitt spewed by even reliable sources during this time of year. Mostly because reporters and insiders get all their info from agents and team execs and other players who are ALL trying to jockey for the best bargaining point.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow,

Everyone's freaking out.

When Coles walked away from the Jets, it was widely viewed as a big risk on his part. There was much skepticism that he would get a free agent offer which would have justified his decision to enter free agency.

Doesn't the fact that the Bills are the only team to offer him a contract show that in fact they might have offered him a contract which will overpay him?

No other team was even interested until the Bengals lost T.J.

And isn't it significant that the Miami Dolphins with his buddy Chad Pennington, and the man who drafted him Bill Parcells, had no interest in him?

The Bills made him a damn good offer. I'm surprised it was that much in view of the lack of competitive bidding. If he goes to Cinci, good riddance I say. He's always been a high-maintenance, ego-driven player. Let him take his act to someone who'll give him stupid money.

If he accepts the Bills offer, fine. If that isn't good enough for him, that's fine too.

I'm easily excited by signing from the Bills. Sorry

I'm easily excited by signing from the Bills. Sorry

No need to apologize Beast. I'm worked up too.

If his agent and he came back to leverage a better deal (and this would possibly hurt me if I was a GM), I'd tell them to take a hike...really out of spite.

What I would love to see at this point is that the Bengals don't make an offer as good as the Bills and he comes begging back to us.

I know that's petty of me but that's the way I feel. It would send a message to players and agents to not screw with us and use us just to set the market.

I agree with the above assessment. Besides, Holt i better than Coles and I would grab him in a minute. He has two years left in his tank was a far better a no. 1 than Coles and would suit the Bills offense. I also think the moves the Bills are making means they have settled on Pettigrew in the draft. Once they pick up a guard, Simmons or Water, Coles or Holt at WR, Pettigrew completes the offense.

Now Moran says the Bills may offer a fourth year and can easily match whatever Cinci offers Coles. Take it all with a bulldozer of salt. There is obviously and understandably a lot of bullschitt spewed by even reliable sources during this time of year. Mostly because reporters and insiders get all their info from agents and team execs and other players who are ALL trying to jockey for the best bargaining point.

That's what people in show biz do. Football included. Can you actually think the business isn't populated by huge numbers of folks that will say anything,going for the grab for money?

Good gosh - look at the incessant credits at the end of a movie - everybody in the biz nowadays has to get a little lump in their pants... :rolleyes:

Good gosh - look at the incessant credits at the end of a movie - everybody in the biz nowadays has to get a little lump in their pants... :rolleyes:

Yeah, because two seconds of getting on screen recognition for 18 hour days working your ass off 6-7 days a week for a year on a movie sucks. Screw the 100 girls and guys that actually make the movie and just love the top few. :w00t:

No need to apologize Beast. I'm worked up too.

If his agent and he came back to leverage a better deal (and this would possibly hurt me if I was a GM), I'd tell them to take a hike...really out of spite.

What I would love to see at this point is that the Bengals don't make an offer as good as the Bills and he comes begging back to us.

I know that's petty of me but that's the way I feel. It would send a message to players and agents to not screw with us and use us just to set the market.

I don't think there's any reason to take it so personally. Coles simply wants to sign a contract with the highest figures possible. Who can blame him?

By the way,

I thought it was a well-written article and much of it made total sense. Many here have speculated that the Bills have contingency free agent plans but until the Coles situation is resolved, those plans are on hold.

He mentions such pending situations as:

Cornerback: Jabari Greer/Drayton Florence (who's obviously our fallback if Greer leaves).

Guard: Kendall Simmons/Brian Waters.

Strong Safety: Sean Jones/Jermaine Phillips.

and tackle: some verification of the theory that letting Dockery go was partly to free up money to sign Jason Peters.

I don't know how true the article was but it made sense and rings true to me.

I think 3 years, 18 million is too much for him. If he's honestly looking for more than that, he'll probably be disappointed by the Bengals' offer too.

Yeah, if the Bengals were to offer more, they would be approaching what Housh was looking for that they didnt want to pay...so why would they pay that for Coles and not Housh when Housh is better, knows the system, and already has a great rapport with their QB?

I dont see Cincy offering much more, and we are the better team. Not to mention, I am sure he would rather play with Evans and not that baby CJ...

Wow,

Everyone's freaking out.

When Coles walked away from the Jets, it was widely viewed as a big risk on his part. There was much skepticism that he would get a free agent offer which would have justified his decision to enter free agency.

Doesn't the fact that the Bills are the only team to offer him a contract show that in fact they might have offered him a contract which will overpay him?

No other team was even interested until the Bengals lost T.J.

And isn't it significant that the Miami Dolphins with his buddy Chad Pennington, and the man who drafted him Bill Parcells, had no interest in him?

The Bills made him a damn good offer. I'm surprised it was that much in view of the lack of competitive bidding. If he goes to Cinci, good riddance I say. He's always been a high-maintenance, ego-driven player. Let him take his act to someone who'll give him stupid money.

If he accepts the Bills offer, fine. If that isn't good enough for him, that's fine too.

We stated ... I agree with everything you said

I don't think there's any reason to take it so personally. Coles simply wants to sign a contract with the highest figures possible. Who can blame him?

That's why I said it was petty of me and would probably make me a poor G.M.

Actually I'm not like that, I don't hold grudges. And when I get into a situation like that and feel that way, I step away and calm down. I don't know why I got all worked up...

I think it's all Beast Mode's fault (I can pass blame from time to time). :rolleyes:

Where'd you see that, Kelly? Because the latest post on his blog, which the OP linked to, indicates the Bills aren't prepared to get into a bidding war over Coles. Not disputing what you say, just wondering.

Where'd you see that, Kelly? Because the latest post on his blog, which the OP linked to, indicates the Bills aren't prepared to get into a bidding war over Coles. Not disputing what you say, just wondering.

He posts all day long on another board. Here is the little blurb in particular, which was well after the article he wrote.

12:30: Just got a text, saying the Bills are confident Cincinnati’s offer to Coles won’t be anything Buffalo can’t match. “they didn’t offer TJ five years. They wont offer Coles five. The Bills could add a fourth year if that’s what it takes”

He posts all day long on another board. Here is the little blurb in particular, which was well after the article he wrote.

12:30: Just got a text, saying the Bills are confident Cincinnati’s offer to Coles won’t be anything Buffalo can’t match. “they didn’t offer TJ five years. They wont offer Coles five. The Bills could add a fourth year if that’s what it takes”

Now this is cause for hope.

IMO, I do not see Coles as the answer for our number 2 WR. Reed can go over the middle and is a great blocking WR. It may take another year fot the lights to come on with Hardy, and Johnson will eventually be Reed's replacement. In the meantime, how about someone with some expierience, around 6'5" tall, Reggie Williams. I remember him hurting us in the game with the Jags two years ago. I know about the poor work ethic claims, and he has been an underachiever. But maybe he may be one of those where this little bit of non-interest in him during the FA period lights his fire. In addition, he was the Number 1 in Jax, maybe being a number 2 is where he belongs and where he can excel.

I have to say, I'm annoying myself right now. SOmetimes I write posts begging the Bills to bring Coles in, then I read other posters talk about how we have Reed and he can do the same things and we don't want to play, and then others that say we should get Holt. I honestly think my opinion changes about every 5 minutes. I just want something to get done, I'm driving myself crazy. Same goes for who we should draft too

I think 3 years, 18 million is too much for him. If he's honestly looking for more than that, he'll probably be disappointed by the Bengals' offer too.

Why? The Bills are way under the cap. They could spend 10 million/year and they'd still be way under. The cap is irrelevant.

You're forgetting: an 11th overall draft pick, and starting LB, DE, CB and SS. Unless the Bills are getting some of the earmarks in Obama's spending spree -- I'd say Ralph better take on a second job to afford the kind of contracts that you are negotiating.

Coles is not worth the type of money he is seeking and I don't fault the Bills for not "showing him the money."

I didn't realize a LB, DE, CB, and SS were part of the offense. :cry: