Fox Sports/Pat Moran reports Bills not confident they will get Coles

Being reported he left Cincy w/o a contract. So that is not necessarily good news for people like me who dont really want him here. I dont mind Coles at all, but think we have many more important areas to fill. OL DT LB, and of course DE. I wouldn't mind Jermaine Phillips at Saftey. If it is a money issue, which it usually is. I would rather see it spent more wisely in areas of need. Lets see if Steve Johnson or Hardy have what it takes. And focus on the areas where we dont have someone to develope like DT, DE, OL, and safety.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if Coles is the answer. But right now we don't have a bona fide #2 receiving threat. I am a HUGE Steve Johnson fan. But even I can see that we need someone to take the heat off Evans and consequently Edwards. I suspect at some point if Johnson is given enough opportunities he'll take on the #2 or even #3 role.

But right now the program is in dire straits and we need a proven guy. I also like the idea of trading for Scheffler from Denver and/or Cutler if he is available. He has the talent and swagger to be the next Jim Kelly. Plus he's played in cold weather. He's from Santa Claus, IND for God's sake...

Right now there is no established #2 receiver on the Bills roster. Jackson or Hardy might grow into that in another couple of years, but they're not there right now. IMO I'd prefer to see Torry Holt here as our #2. If he could be had for a low level pick and then restructure and extend his contract to something along the lines of Coles 3 yr $18m. I like Coles and wouldn't mind having him here, but the 3 yrs $18m is overpaying for him.

Give him a 4 year deal and if he plays really well it will be worth it after a few years. We have 0 right now that threatens our opponents besides Evans and Coles would force them to gameplan. Add a TE through FA and draft us a guard / Center and let's score some points.

I'm going to puke if I have to watch us lose alot later this year.

The jackasses at One Bills Drive don't even realize that they already have their #2 receiver in Steven Johnson. The guy made two awesome redzone TDs catches towards the end of the season. He has great hands and feet, and is perfect for the possession receiver roll, but the Bills are addicted to bringing in new WRs and CBs I guess. It's comical how stupid they all are.

Brother, I fail to understand your take on this.

If Johnson is as good as you say (I don't say that he is or isn't), his talent will shine through with or without Coles, ya know? Coles imo can help us a lot. He gets open and scores touchdowns. If you recall, he loved playing with Pennington, which suggests to me that he is more of a timing receiver than a blazer. We already knew that, but it sounds like a great weapon for Trent, and a compliment to the speed receiver (Evans) who we already have. It isn't a bank breaking deal either.

I really hope they sign him and draft some linemen.

No need to apologize Beast. I'm worked up too.

If his agent and he came back to leverage a better deal (and this would possibly hurt me if I was a GM), I'd tell them to take a hike...really out of spite.

What I would love to see at this point is that the Bengals don't make an offer as good as the Bills and he comes begging back to us.

I know that's petty of me but that's the way I feel. It would send a message to players and agents to not screw with us and use us just to set the market.

But, he needs to feed his family. :rolleyes::huh:

I was referring to getting a reliable pass catching TE there (aka a version of Royal that can catch), Mick. Coles certainly hasn't been a guy that just runs 5 year outs over his career - he normally averages around 12 yards per catch (which would be an almost perfect complement to Lee Evans' huge averages - he's more of a mid-range guy).

Perfect if that is what we use him for as opposed to what we have used Reed and Roscoe for, shorty short passes and hope they put a move on after the catch or break a tackle. I am at a point where I'd like to see plays with no dump off option at all for Trent, it may be the only way to force him to take some chances downfield and give Lee a chance to make a play. If you give him a guy in the flat, you can guarantee that if there is any trouble with the rush, that is where the ball is going.