John Guy Specials

DDD

Maybe I've become pessimistic thru our recent free agent signings, but the signing of Hamgartner has John Guy's name all over it. And that is not good. Hamgartner started at center for the Panthers in 2006 and was so effective he was replaced. Heck, the guy had spot duty last year at several positions. Now he's going to be our starting center. Wonderful. I know Jeff Saturday resigned with the Colts but why not offer something to Matt Birk? The guy has been to the Pro-bowl. This signing has Larry Tripplett, Robert Royal, Craig Nall, Matt Bowen, Touton Reyes, and Marvin Fowler written all over it. And Ryan Fitzpatrick...please. I am so passionate about the Bills but damn, we don't have a chance to win. :thumbdown:

Maybe I've become pessimistic thru our recent free agent signings, but the signing of Hamgartner has John Guy's name all over it. And that is not good. Hamgartner started at center for the Panthers in 2006 and was so effective he was replaced. Heck, the guy had spot duty last year at several positions. Now he's going to be our starting center. Wonderful. I know Jeff Saturday resigned with the Colts but why not offer something to Matt Birk? The guy has been to the Pro-bowl. This signing has Larry Tripplett, Robert Royal, Craig Nall, Matt Bowen, Touton Reyes, and Marvin Fowler written all over it. And Ryan Fitzpatrick...please. I am so passionate about the Bills but damn, we don't have a chance to win. :thumbdown:

As usual I'm optimistic but I've been optimistic before like so many of you.

Let's see what else they do and then of course we can actually grade them when the smoke clears on the 2009 season.

In the meantime there's the tricky little question of getting people to renew their season tickets. That more than anything might be the biggest failure of this offseason, not the product on the field.

IMO, the signing of Fitzpatrick is a perfect one! He is a backup QB, no looking over his shoulder for Trent. However, with Trent's injury history, Fitzpatrick is a perfect backup for us. The choice of the number 14 is a great omen. The number of the perfect backup!

This is a big test for Guy, I think. Buffalorumblings reported that the Bills had Hangartener as the #2 OL in free agency, after Jason Brown. This is the dude they wanted, big time. If it's a whiff, I think that it's about as damning to Guy as our last, oh, 16 UFA busts.

IMO, the signing of Fitzpatrick is a perfect one! He is a backup QB, no looking over his shoulder for Trent. However, with Trent's injury history, Fitzpatrick is a perfect backup for us. The choice of the number 14 is a great omen. The number of the perfect backup!

Yeah this makes A LOT of sense.

I cant fathom how someone could actually feel this way.

Trent is injury prone. He WILL miss time. Our backup will most likely start/play in 4-7 games, that's if we're lucky.

Did anyone watch Fitzcraptick play last year? or the previous few years? WHAT COULD WE POSSIBLY LIKE IN THIS NOODLE ARMED SCRUB?

Does he have "poise"?

I can't imagine how signing this bum has people excited. These are the same people that were pumped about signing Kelly Holcomb and Billy Joe Hobert.

This dude is a chump and will hopefully be cut before the season.

Birk made it well known, he would NOT come to Buffalo.

Carolina had one of the best rushing offenses in the NFL

Ryan Kalil was their starting center this past season. The book on Hangartner has yet to be written in Buffalo, but the was their top reserve. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Point is, picking up guys you hope have potential is a risky bet. Low cost and cap friendly sure, but what result will this yield. At the outset it sounds like a 2006 signing. He'll be thrown into the fire really quick with the schedule Buffalo plays this year.

Remember, 13 of the 14 UFA's Buffalo signed in 06-07 are now gone. That sort of track record gets you promoted in Buffalo.

This is a big test for Guy, I think. Buffalorumblings reported that the Bills had Hangartener as the #2 OL in free agency, after Jason Brown. This is the dude they wanted, big time. If it's a whiff, I think that it's about as damning to Guy as our last, oh, 16 UFA busts.

Why is it that these guys keep being busts with Buffalo?? I say it's coaching but the Bills even had McNally and still the O-Line underachieved. Mike Gandy ends up being the starting LT for the Super Bowl Cardinals. He wasn't much with the Bills. I suppose Dockery will now make the Pro Bowl back with the Skins?? If the Skins watched film of him the last couple years, why would they offer him $5 Mil a year??

What became of Tuten Reyes??

One thing most of you have right is that most of the Bills' free agent signings have been based on potential. With all of the deals that ended overpaying for performance, just once a year paying for a proven star should've paid off better.

That does not suprise Modrak and Guy think they are smarter than everybody else in the league. Usually they end up looking stupid...here we go again.

Yeah this makes A LOT of sense.

I cant fathom how someone could actually feel this way.

Trent is injury prone. He WILL miss time. Our backup will most likely start/play in 4-7 games, that's if we're lucky.

Did anyone watch Fitzcraptick play last year? or the previous few years? WHAT COULD WE POSSIBLY LIKE IN THIS NOODLE ARMED SCRUB?

Does he have "poise"?

I can't imagine how signing this bum has people excited. These are the same people that were pumped about signing Kelly Holcomb and Billy Joe Hobert.

This dude is a chump and will hopefully be cut before the season.

Actually I haven't seen him play but the scouting reports I've seen say he has a strong arm.

That does not suprise Modrak and Guy think they are smarter than everybody else in the league. Usually they end up looking stupid...here we go again.

What would make you say that Modrak and Guy think they're smarter than anyone?

This signing has Larry Tripplett, Robert Royal, Craig Nall, Matt Bowen, Touton Reyes, and Marvin Fowler written all over it. And Ryan Fitzpatrick...please. :thumbdown:

There's a list that should make every Bills Fan proud!... :lol:

Hangartner allowed 1 sack and had no penalties in 15 starts at center for the Panthers in 2006. As for his run blocking, I can't say.

Considering how Dangelo Williams absolutely dominated , id say his run blocking is fairly good

Considering how Dangelo Williams absolutely dominated , id say his run blocking is fairly good

Wasn't the same said when we signed T. Reyes and his blocking at the time w/ S. Davis and their running game ? Believe when i say these guys have talent, our coaching staff doesn't have a glue in regards to putting player in the position to make plays. LETS GO BILLS....

just go away. you say your a bills fan. this guy has waited his turn on a very good offensive line and has played well when inserted into the lineup its his time. go read carolinas board their fans hated to lose this kid and so did the team.

so what are we getting a young expiranced player who's sees his opportunity to play and who is chomping @ the bit what more can we ask for?

the players you compared him to rarely preformed well and were known stop gap players who were not complete players @ their positions.

tripp/quick but small,royal/good blocker bad receiver,nall career backup who was not brought in to start. bowen brought in for depth. reyes brought in for depth and stop gap player. lastly fowler,good technician but too small physically to play the position another stop gap player.

. the difference with this kid is that he has played well when called upon and he is young and hungry and is the whole package and he is definitely not to small to take on nose guards @ 6/5 315.

preston and JP received a rare opportunity last year to showcase their talents for the bills and the rest of the league and they both failed miserably. duke's a career back up and has proved that time and again when he played jeff when he played played well. JP with his performance last year most likely played himself out of the league.

WTF lets watch the guy preform for a couple of games before we criticize him and the bills.