John Guy Specials

DDD

Maybe I've become pessimistic thru our recent free agent signings, but the signing of Hamgartner has John Guy's name all over it. And that is not good. Hamgartner started at center for the Panthers in 2006 and was so effective he was replaced. Heck, the guy had spot duty last year at several positions. Now he's going to be our starting center. Wonderful. I know Jeff Saturday resigned with the Colts but why not offer something to Matt Birk? The guy has been to the Pro-bowl. This signing has Larry Tripplett, Robert Royal, Craig Nall, Matt Bowen, Touton Reyes, and Marvin Fowler written all over it. And Ryan Fitzpatrick...please. I am so passionate about the Bills but damn, we don't have a chance to win. :thumbdown:

That part made me laugh.

But the sad part is you're right. The Bills have a lot of cap space and a lot of needs and yet we didn't go after anyone good. They should have made an offer to Birk. Dammit.

Ryan Kalil was their starting center this past season. The book on Hangartner has yet to be written in Buffalo, but the was their top reserve. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Point is, picking up guys you hope have potential is a risky bet. Low cost and cap friendly sure, but what result will this yield. At the outset it sounds like a 2006 signing. He'll be thrown into the fire really quick with the schedule Buffalo plays this year.

Remember, 13 of the 14 UFA's Buffalo signed in 06-07 are now gone. That sort of track record gets you promoted in Buffalo.

Failure=reward...Its sad!!!

Actually I haven't seen him play but the scouting reports I've seen say he has a strong arm.

What would make you say that Modrak and Guy think they're smarter than anyone?

They get too cute with picks and players. Dockery is a good example they gave him Steve Hutchinson, top pro bowl gaurd money because he had size and potential. He was not even the best gaurd in that free agent pool. They drafted Chris kelsay ILO Umenyiora b/c Kelsay has a "great motor" and the list goes on and on. The roster is not good enough beacuse the personnel dept does a poor job evaluating talent pro and college.

In one of the deepest drafts at the C position in decades, the Bills brain trust goes out and takes a "potential flier" on a part-time starter, utility lineman, and backup C in free agency, paying him a contract that he himself admitted was "way more than he ever expected". These are the sorts of strategic gems that this franchise comes up with.

In one of the deepest drafts at the C position in decades, the Bills brain trust goes out and takes a "potential flier" on a part-time starter, utility lineman, and backup C in free agency, paying him a contract that he himself admitted was "way more than he ever expected". These are the sorts of strategic gems that this franchise comes up with.

yes, thus the reason they have sucked for 10 years