Carolina OL Geoff Hangartner signs with the Bills

kdipirro

do we know how much money/year the contract is? i haven't seen anything yet

It is for 4 years, but I have seen no numbers. There is an article on the main page from a Rock Hill paper in South Carolina, where Hangartner says it is not a "sick" contract, but it is for more money than I ever thought I'd make. Estimated to be north of $3M/year-- probably $14-16M for 4 years.

That article is also interesting in what it reveals about Hangartner. Talks about how much he is liked in Carolina, and about an emotional phone call he had with Delhomme about leaving. Seeing that, and seeing he is real smart--which is critical for a center, as it impacts the whole line as he makes the blocking calls--I am feeling very good about this guy.

Now we need a left guard, a linebacker, and someone who can make plays catching the ball(WR or TE) in FA and we would be in pretty good shape going into the draft.

I also like Fitzpatrick. I think a smart QB is really good too. Strikes me as a Frank Reich type, not blessed with great physical tools, so he can't be a starter because his weaknesses are eventually exposed, but plenty smart and good to fill in. Brains are underestimated at the QB position, in favor of physical gifts. That's Losman's problem, all the physical tools in the world, but inadequate brain power to harness those gifts...CD

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One view from the Carolinas:

You got a steal in Geoff Hangartner.

There were times that he struggled, but he had a standout season about three or four years ago and I think that if he's put in one spot, doesn't get shuffled around and gets the chance to work as part of a cohesive unit, he'll shine. To give you an idea, he started two or more games at both guard spots and center last year.

The Panthers have a strong line now, and didn't have a starting spot for Hangartner. But his versatility, unselfishness and quality given that he was a backup could be sorely missed if Geoff Schwartz or the draft doesn't come through. Frank Omiyale went to Chicago, and Jeremy Bridges got himself cut due to off-field idiocy.

While I would have much rather kept Hangartner, it's time he got a chance to start and after the year the starters had last year in Charlotte, it wasn't going to happen there. Ryan Kalil was a pretty high draft pick a couple of years ago from Southern California who showed the chops to take the reins quickly, hence Hangartner being a backup.

Here's a story from the Panthers website during last season:

http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=37708

Sounds as though Hangartner was a late bloomer who may have suffered by playing multiple positions.

I'll give him and (I can't believe I'm saying this) the front office some benefit of the doubt. I think we'll know relatively quickly if he's capable of being a super sub or legitimate starting NFL center.

Hangartner can very cheap. Less than 10 mil for four years.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=3350

Yep. As I've said elsewhere, it's refreshing to see them pay market or below-market rates for decent vets for a change, instead of overpaying the Fowlers, Dockerys and Peerlesses of the world. With this signing and the Coles non-signing, the mob has gathered at the gates screaming the "Ralph is Cheap" chant. But the fact is, Ralph was anything but cheap under the Marv years (except for paying coaches), and it got the Bills nowhere. Brandon seems to have a better feel for how best to add value to the franchise.

Yep. As I've said elsewhere, it's refreshing to see them pay market or below-market rates for decent vets for a change, instead of overpaying the Fowlers, Dockerys and Peerlesses of the world. With this signing and the Coles non-signing, the mob has gathered at the gates screaming the "Ralph is Cheap" chant. But the fact is, Ralph was anything but cheap under the Marv years (except for paying coaches), and it got the Bills nowhere. Brandon seems to have a better feel for how best to add value to the franchise.

I agree.

I think this is the best long term approach.

Those salaries that Hangartner is about to make don't mention anything about a signing bonus? does anyone know how much?