Matt Cassel traded to Chiefs

BLZFAN4LIFE

Per rotoworld...

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Matt Cassel is expected to be traded to the Chiefs, but there may a third "mystery team" in play.

Schefter has softened his wording, saying the deal has been "agreed to" and "expected." Paperwork has been drawn up; Cassel will be traded. Schefter says there is now some question whether Kansas City could be his final destination. The "mystery team" is supposedly a surprise, which would seemingly rule out Tampa. That team could either swoop in or get involved in a three-way deal. Cassel is also working out a possible contract, which is probably the biggest factor in holding up this news. It's possible the Patriots agreed to trade compensation, but Cassel's contract demands are holding the deal up. If Cassel is dealt, it's safe to say the Tyler Thigpen era is over before it started.

So it says a surprise mystery team could be part of this deal and be the actual landing spot for Cassel...wonder who that would be...

Here we go Detroit, here we go!

*clap clap*

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you think it was stupid to franchise Cassell? they got picks for him instead of him walking away.

It was still a huge financial risk for even the great and powerful Pats to franchise this guy. Let's say these trade talks break down, because of Cassell's top 5 QB salary this season, the Chiefs and whoever else walk away from the table. They are unable to cut a long term deal with Cassell, and he remains a Patriot. That's a hell of a lot of money tied up in their two quarterbacks, don't you think? That's why I thought the Pats would not franchise him. But obviously, like I said in my last post by the way, it turned out to be the best decision for them in the long run, since I doubt this trade won't go through, the Chiefs will get Cassell, and the Pats will get the picks like you said.

Cassel and Vrabel (who was an all-pro in 2007) for a 2nd rounder? Looks like the Chefs made out on this deal. And while Cassel isn't worth near the $14.65M he'll make this year, the Chefs have the cap room, and if there's no salary cap in 2010, Cassel become a RFA who they can tender at the highest level.

Chiefs complete trade for Cassel

The New England Patriots have traded quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel to Kansas City for the Chiefs' second-round pick in the 2009 draft, SI.com has learned.

The trade is expected to be announced this weekend.

The Patriots originally dealt Cassel to the Chiefs -- now run by former New England vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli -- on Friday for an undisclosed draft pick. Now it has been learned that the Chiefs will get both Vrabel and Cassel in exchange for the 34th overall pick in April's draft.

It's a stunning acquisition for Kansas City. Cassel, who never started a game at quarterback in his career at USC, was drafted in the seventh round of the 2005 draft when Pioli ran the New England personnel department. He relieved the injured Tom Brady in the first quarter of the 2008 season-opener -- against Kansas City -- and proceeded to have one of the best seasons of any quarterback in football. He was eighth in the league with 3,693 passing yards and 10th with an 89.4 quarterback rating.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

It was still a huge financial risk for even the great and powerful Pats to franchise this guy. Let's say these trade talks break down, because of Cassell's top 5 QB salary this season, the Chiefs and whoever else walk away from the table. They are unable to cut a long term deal with Cassell, and he remains a Patriot. That's a hell of a lot of money tied up in their two quarterbacks, don't you think? That's why I thought the Pats would not franchise him. But obviously, like I said in my last post by the way, it turned out to be the best decision for them in the long run, since I doubt this trade won't go through, the Chiefs will get Cassell, and the Pats will get the picks like you said.

There was no risk. They could have traded him somewhere for less than the Chiefs offered. or if the market totally fell apart, just released him any time the $ were too much of a problem for their cap & paid him nothing. They couldn't be in any worse case a scenario than letting him walk as a UFA.