Coles

zdro22

I have never liked this guy. He is too similiar to what we have on this team already. Hes 5'11. He does not address our height need on the outside. He doesnt address our red zone problems either. Im glad they are active, but this isnt the answer in my opinion. Hes injury prone(foot) and not exactly 26, I believe hes 33. I just want to know why everyone is so excited. If they are trying to get speed on the outside at both spots, that doesn't seem to make sense with our average(atbest) armed qb.

The guy is 31 and not much better than what is on the team now. I think Steve Johnson is going to step up this year. I would've preferred to see them take the money they may end up giving him and have used it on Brown.

I think people are excited, I know I am, because he's a name and that he can score. A lot.

:w00t:

Are there better options available? The Bills need WR help and are not going to sign or trade for a top tier guy.

Coles has been a solid pro despite playing with mediocre QBs. His career averages are 70-900-5.

Buffalo has greater needs than a WR.

Coles has been a very good wide receiver for the Jets and Redskins. This would be an excellent signing because he is a #1 receiver. Plus, it would mean that the Dolphins won't get him. The only risk is injury, but you have that with any player.

Some players have a greater risk of injury compared to other players due to past track record. Coles falls into that category IMO.

I agree. I probably watch at least 6 Jets games a year. Obviously the 2 vs. Buffalo then various division match ups or prime-time games. With watching them so much, I never once said "wow I wish we had Laveranues Coles or a receiver just like him". I guess I wouldn't complain if we got him, but I would think that his signing would not be a significant upgrade.

What he said. ;)

Josh Reed is a very solid possession receiver for the Bills. Let's face it he saved their butts many a time on long third down situations.

:wallbash:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh Reed was born to play slot reciever. With Hardy out, Steve Johnson and Roscoe Parrish are our only options on the outside. You really don't think a guy who averages 900 yards a season is a significant upgrade over Roscoe Parrish? :w00t:

Not for the money that Coles is looking for, especially at 31 years old. He walked on a 1 year $6mil. deal in NY. He wants a long term contract, for that kind of money, I would rather see the Bills go after an o-lineman or Linebacker. When they cut DD, I thought they had a line on a replacement. I assumed a guy like Jason Brown was in the bag. You know what they say about assuming.

Not for the money that Coles is looking for, especially at 31 years old. He walked on a 1 year $6mil. deal in NY. He wants a long term contract, for that kind of money, I would rather see the Bills go after an o-lineman or Linebacker. When they cut DD, I thought they had a line on a replacement. I assumed a guy like Jason Brown was in the bag. You know what they say about assuming.

Can't argue with any of that, but none of it has any bearing on whether or not he's an upgrade on the field. :w00t:

Look, no disrespect to Coles, but we don't need him, certainly not at his asking price. We all agree that Evans is the #1, right? We've got Parrish and Reed who both play the slot very well, so the #3 and #4 options are covered (should we go to 4WR which doesn't happen often enough IMO, but that's another subject). Are people already calling Hardy a bust? Isn't it a little early? And what about Steve Johnson? He was a 7th round pick and IMO really made strides last year. He's also got great size (6'2" 202 lbs.), he's young, and he can catch the ball. We don't need Coles, and we don't need to pay him $6M+/year.

I say sign Kelley Washington to play special teams, he did a great job doing that with New England last year and it will be a cheap signing. Then let him compete with Johnson and Hardy for the number two and let Parrish and Reed (and Justin Jenkins, I suppose) battle it out for the number three. Remember, Kelley Washington was a #65 overall pick with the Bengals who was projected to go in the first round had it not been for injury concerns (that never came to fruition, I might add), and has great size at 6'3" 215 lbs. Take the money saved and get that lineman from Carolina (Hangartner), see if we can widdle an aging Jason Taylor from the Redskins for a year or two (I know that's just a pipe dream...trust me), make a run at L.J. Smith (TE from Philly), and draft Orakpo or E. Brown in the draft.

Thoughts?

There is a part of me that wants Coles. I know that he would be an upgrade to what we had last year. He would bring some much needed excitement to the Bills fans base.

When I look at this move from a logical standpoint and take out the emotion of it, I believe it will be a slight upgrade, because I believe that Steve Johnson is going to be better than what many people expect. I look at the cost of signing Coles, you have to figure it would be a three year deal worth at least $16 Million and $10 Million guaranteed. He wouldn't of walked away $6Million guaranteed this year to accept anything less than what I just mentioned.

Buffalo has greater needs than a WR.

What kind of stupid ass comment is that? Because they have "greater needs" they shouldn't pursue any solution at WR?

I guess they shouldn't look around at TE or C either because DE is a "greater need".

:w00t:

I think its nice they brought him in for a visit but do we need another short WR on this team?

for years we have been screaming about size at the WR.

Coles is 31, and has been a very productive WR...and will be looking for a long term deal. Do we give him that money or see what upside we can get out of Steve Johnson and let invest that money elsewhere.

I think its nice they brought him in for a visit but do we need another short WR on this team?

for years we have been screaming about size at the WR.

Coles is 31, and has been a very productive WR...and will be looking for a long term deal. Do we give him that money or see what upside we can get out of Steve Johnson and let invest that money elsewhere.

Who says they can't do both? And are you willing to go through another season having the current receiving core that can't get open, and a playmaking WR who does nothing because he can't get open due to opponents double and triple teaming him?

THE OFFENCE WAS WHAT KEPT THE BILLS FROM THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR. The current offence can't find the end zone, and they will continue to miss the playoffs until something is done, or until they can figure out howto get the defence to score more points, or Special Teams scoring on every kick

First off, it's "offense" not "offence". We're not in the UK. Second, yes, obviously Evans was getting double-teamed but that doesn't mean we should throw a bundle at an aging, slowing, undersized WR looking for one last pay-day. You don't become a great team by just signing high-priced free agents - just ask Daniel Snyder. Let Johnson, Hardy, and maybe Kelley Washington compete for the #2, and may the best man win.

One other thing you should realize is that Trent got real skittish after the concussion. Despite double-coverage (I don't think Evans was ever triple teamed - he's not 2001 Randy Moss) he would still get open but Edwards wasn't finding him. I like Trent a lot and I hope he can work through the skittishness this year, but throwing money at Coles won't help that.

I have never liked this guy. He is too similiar to what we have on this team already. Hes 5'11. He does not address our height need on the outside. He doesnt address our red zone problems either. Im glad they are active, but this isnt the answer in my opinion. Hes injury prone(foot) and not exactly 26, I believe hes 33. I just want to know why everyone is so excited. If they are trying to get speed on the outside at both spots, that doesn't seem to make sense with our average(atbest) armed qb.

100% agree. I don't want another short receiver. Receivers MUST have height. Sure, you can have maybe ONE short guy and we have that guy already (Lee Evans). That's enough. We can't have a passing attack with 2 short guys and I don't care about the talent level here -- size DOES matter at this position -- sorry, but it does.

Because even though he is smaller, he is like a better version of Josh Reed. Which is like saying he's got a similar style to Andre. He isn't afraid of going over the middles, slants, etc... He's been injured a little, but his run after catch is damn good and he'll take the hit to make the catch. He's actually a perfect receiver for a west coast offense. Unlike Evans who is better for a vertical game. Coles and Josh Reed would actually be great receivers for Trant and would keep the chains moving.

Reed has really developed into a strong player -- great blocker, doesn't drop passes like the old days, plays smart, leader on the field. I wouldn't take Coles for Reed, straight-up. Reed has been one of the few consistent performers on this offense.

100% agree. I don't want another short receiver. Receivers MUST have height. Sure, you can have maybe ONE short guy and we have that guy already (Lee Evans). That's enough. We can't have a passing attack with 2 short guys and I don't care about the talent level here -- size DOES matter at this position -- sorry, but it does.

That's great, but where is this hypothetical tall receiver coming from? Of course, all things being equal, you'd rather have a tall guy who can play the position, but I think it's foolish to pass on a guy who's a proven producer simply because he doesn't meet some arbitrary height criterion. Frankly, I'm astonished by the number of people who are content to stick with our corps of Evans and a bunch of #3 receivers simply because Coles is "short".

Look, no disrespect to Coles, but we don't need him, certainly not at his asking price. We all agree that Evans is the #1, right? We've got Parrish and Reed who both play the slot very well, so the #3 and #4 options are covered (should we go to 4WR which doesn't happen often enough IMO, but that's another subject). Are people already calling Hardy a bust? Isn't it a little early? And what about Steve Johnson? He was a 7th round pick and IMO really made strides last year. He's also got great size (6'2" 202 lbs.), he's young, and he can catch the ball. We don't need Coles, and we don't need to pay him $6M+/year.

I say sign Kelley Washington to play special teams, he did a great job doing that with New England last year and it will be a cheap signing. Then let him compete with Johnson and Hardy for the number two and let Parrish and Reed (and Justin Jenkins, I suppose) battle it out for the number three. Remember, Kelley Washington was a #65 overall pick with the Bengals who was projected to go in the first round had it not been for injury concerns (that never came to fruition, I might add), and has great size at 6'3" 215 lbs. Take the money saved and get that lineman from Carolina (Hangartner), see if we can widdle an aging Jason Taylor from the Redskins for a year or two (I know that's just a pipe dream...trust me), make a run at L.J. Smith (TE from Philly), and draft Orakpo or E. Brown in the draft.

Thoughts?

I'd be happy if it played out that way, but from the little I've seen so far from OBD, I think there's little chance of almost any of that coming to pass. Get ready for more mediocre, "other people's trash" signings that OBD will try to pass off as "steps up" instead of at best sideways.....

Sounds like the same "FANTASY FOOTBALL" wish crap that has kept us away from the playoffs for 9 years....

This team needs lineman who can block,,,,and guys who can get to the passer....spending any big $$ on players that do anything other than those 2 things is fools gold

Remember the scheme to beat us last year was rush 3 and drop 8 into coverage. We need receivers who can get open and find soft spots in the zone. Josh reed had a knack for that.

Sounds like the same "FANTASY FOOTBALL" wish crap that has kept us away from the playoffs for 9 years....

This team needs lineman who can block,,,,and guys who can get to the passer....spending any big $$ on players that do anything other than those 2 things is fools gold

That's a great message board soundbite and all, but unless you're in a 30 team league it's been a while since we had a 2nd WR that was drafted in FF.