Apparently the FO screwed up trading Dockery

coastalpika

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If i'm not mistaken, in a trade, the original team still has to eat any bonus money paid out, but the hard contract goes to the new team. I believe that the Bills have already paid the bonus portion to him, so they would have saved his entire salary. Also, more importantly, because of when he was cut, we will still see a money off the cap next year for him, when in a trade we wouldn't have.

If anyone knows for certain, please feel free to correct me.

this is exactly right.

now, there were no deadlines here. dock didn't have to be cut before any given date, so it's not like the bills didn't get the paper work in in time. there was no deadline.

i think dock might not have liked the lions, so disagreed on a new contract, so the bills just let him go.

That sounds like it could be what happened. The deadline comment, in the article, made little sense to me. The Bills cut him...he didn't become a FA at midnight because of a missed deadline. Clearly the trade to Detroit didn't come to fruition...unless I am missing something here.

There was no deadline to trade a player, so what is this "didn't get the paperwork in" crap? If we wanted to trade him we would have, right? Its not like he had to be traded by a certain time...

yea, doesn't make sense to me. but i don't see why a late round pick isn't better than no pick at all :D

yea, doesn't make sense to me. but i don't see why a late round pick isn't better than no pick at all :D

A late round pick IS better...but that is only if Detroit was willing to trade for him at his current $$, and/or if he was willing to redo the deal to go to Detroit.

I'm surprised that people are suddenly regarding John Clayton's word as gospel. :w00t:

I wouldn't say his word is gospel, but it's not a if the Lackawana Times reported it. Clayton is a douche, but he has a greater degree of credibility when it comes to a source.

I honestly do not understand this team...I really don't....I have no idea what to say...

We created 2 more holes on this team and only signed Fitzpatrick...

We could have traded Dockery, but why bother checking the fax machine...lets just cut him....

Are you kidding me???

Man, this is really embarrassing. We need a legit GM.

There was no deadline to trade a player, so what is this "didn't get the paperwork in" crap? If we wanted to trade him we would have, right? Its not like he had to be traded by a certain time...

No, but there was probably a Mar. 1 roster bonus involved.

I was just about to post about this. If this is true, then I'm done paying attention until the draft maybe. Are you kidding me with this. The Bills had the opportunity to let this guy go to Detroit where ALL of his salary would have come of the books and gotten a draft pick or two out of it. But instead, because they didn't use FedEx, they eat his salary and get nothing back?

This is by far the dumbest thing the Bills could have done, besides keep DJ as head coach.

Wow, I want to hear the other side of this, but it sounds shoddy.

However, even if you trade a guy, you still have the remaining prorated bonus money to pay. Trading doesn't get you out of that money being charged to your cap. But they could have picked up a pick or two or maybe a useful guy.

Horrible.

I honestly do not understand this team...I really don't....I have no idea what to say...

We created 2 more holes on this team and only signed Fitzpatrick...

We could have traded Dockery, but why bother checking the fax machine...lets just cut him....

Are you kidding me???

Yeah for some reason this team just LOVES cutting people that they don't even have to.

If i'm not mistaken, in a trade, the original team still has to eat any bonus money paid out, but the hard contract goes to the new team. I believe that the Bills have already paid the bonus portion to him, so they would have saved his entire salary. Also, more importantly, because of when he was cut, we will still see a money off the cap next year for him, when in a trade we wouldn't have.

If anyone knows for certain, please feel free to correct me.

In terms of the cap, trading a guy and cutting him are exactly the same.