Am I the only one....

Armchair GM

Jerry Porter got released today from Jacksonville - he's down to his last chance, if we want to give it to him.

OMG...

:):):P

What is with the posters on this board trying to bring in players who played WORSE than Reed last year (and in years pasts) to replace Reed?

Bryant, R. Williams, Clayton, and now Porter? None of these guys amassed 50 catches last year...3 didnt even get 40...reed had 56 in 13 games playing in an inept passing game where our QB (both Trent and JP) struggled to find open WR's and provide and consistent vertical threat.

Yet, you want to bring them in to replace a MORE productive guy who KNOWS the system and bump our young guys like Johnson out of the rotation so they don't get the much needed experience to develop.

This time next year you same posters will be BLASTING the FO for bringing in these unproductive bumbs...

What we really need is simply a WR that runs precise routes and catches the ball when it hits his hands. I could live with another Josh Reed, for example. I've said before that it really seemed like Trent's struggles coincided with Reed going down, as the young QB couldn't trust the young WRs to run their routes. Since Roscoe is really more or less a #4 WR, lets just hope that Stevie Johnson can continue to progress and that Hardy has been watching plenty of film during his rehab.

When you talk about precise route running, you are describing Jeremy Maclin and crabtree. Forget about Crabtree, but here's a draft that would take Maclin and get our needs addressed pretty well:

Trade with Houston (#15) who wants a better DE choice. They give us the RD1#15 and RD3#77.

RD1#15-Jeremy Maclin, WR

RD2#42-Robert Ayers, DE Tennessee

RD3#75-Eric Wood, OC Louisville

RD3#77-James Casey, TE Rice

Trust me, Good TE's are going to drop in this draft and will be available in Round 3. I couldn't pass on Maclin if I knew I could get Ayers, Wood, and Casey later on.

I think we should bring in a vet JUST IN CASE Steve Johnsonton hits the sophmore slump.......

But when we think about who it should be.....it should be a guy that fits this offense AND Trent Edwards style......

That means it needs to be a guy who can get open in the intermediate part of the field. We dont need a deep threat guy.

I think we should bring in a vet JUST IN CASE Steve Johnsonton hits the sophmore slump.......

But when we think about who it should be.....it should be a guy that fits this offense AND Trent Edwards style......

That means it needs to be a guy who can get open in the intermediate part of the field. We dont need a deep threat guy.

Maybe you're describing what a TE is supposed to do (go out and find a seam) if the O-Line can hold up, rather than a WR--I think of Reed as the guy who catches anything, and I like Steve Johnson. I'd also take a WR later in the draft, like in the 5th (Austin Collie or Kenny McKinley), or 6th (Quan Cosby or Darius Passmore).

Ralphy boy wants to bolster the talent on the offense. By short term, I mean a 2 yr contract, at most. Josh Reed is meant to play in the slot, where I think he'll have his best year so far if we are able to move him there. Hardy will be coming off a major injury from which his rehab may extend into the first few weeks of the upcoming season, possibly on PUP, besides that, he needs some experience under his belt and work on his route running. I like Steve J, but he needs too much work to fill in as a viable #2 threat. I think this may be an area we address in FA. My wish list, in order:

1.) Amani Toomer

2.) Reggie Williams

3.) Bryant Johnson

4.) Michael Clayton

Any thoughts?

I am right with you here Hardy is out of the picture next year.

The Bills really, really, for real need a top notch WR opposite Lee Evans in my opinion. This would do a few things right away.

1. Take all the double and triple coverage off Lee.

2. Help Derek Fine who I think will be a very good TE (like Clark-Cooley).

3. Allow us to take care of 2 positions WR - TE.

4. Allow us than to concentrate on DE/DL/LB help.

So with the Bills 1st round pick the 11th overall in the 2009 NFL Draft the Bills select

Jeremy Maclin - University of Missouri - MIZZOU Height / Weight: 6-1 / 200

2008 STATS RECEPTIONS - YARDS - TOUCHDOWNS

102 1,260 13

CAREER STATS RECEPTIONS - YDS -TOUCHDOWNS

182 2,315 22

I totally understand we need help at DE/DL/LB but can we pass him up ?

Maybe you're describing what a TE is supposed to do (go out and find a seam) if the O-Line can hold up, rather than a WR--I think of Reed as the guy who catches anything, and I like Steve Johnson. I'd also take a WR later in the draft, like in the 5th (Austin Collie or Kenny McKinley), or 6th (Quan Cosby or Darius Passmore).

Don't forget about Jamarko Simmons from Central Michigan, Patrick Turner from USC, Aaron Kelly from Clemson. Simmons had 98 catches for 1,184 yards and 7 TD's. Turner had 49 catches for 741 yards and 10 TD's on a USC squad that was loaded on offense. Kelly had 61 catches for 648 yars and 3 TD's, but Clemson struggled all year long with their QB play and that effected his #'s. Simmons is 6'2", Turner is 6'4", and Kelly is 6'5". They all have good size. Simmons also is 235 lbs. and is built like David Boston when Boston was on the juice. Turner and Kelly are the better leapers that can go up and get the ball at it's highest point over top of DB's. They all will likely be around in the later rounds and could be steals.

I just dont see Buffalo drafting a wr in the first. Especially after last year it was proven how difficult it is for a rookie wr to make an impact. They have two vets in Reed and Evans. Two young guys in Johnson and Hardy. When they drafted Johnson last year i thought to myself this kid could be the sleeper of the draft for the Bills. I watched him play at Kentucky. His stats senior year are not that far off Macklins, and Johnson played in the SEC. Which has much better D's then the Big 12. If you dont believe me go check out the Big 12's drop in offensive production during the Bowl season. I would be very wary of drafting any O player out of that confrence. Just cause you put up good stats doesn't mean much. Most of the times it was like those guys were playing 7 on 7.Johnson is going to be a very solid player.

At the end of the day guys, the Bills have much more pressing areas to adress. I for one would be disappointed if we selected a wr in the first. The Bills need to go D in the First. Either tackle or end. Maybe TE in second. Then a LB with next pick. That order could change depending what they do in FA. But sorry no Macklin and no vet wrs please.

I just dont see Buffalo drafting a wr in the first. Especially after last year it was proven how difficult it is for a rookie wr to make an impact. They have two vets in Reed and Evans. Two young guys in Johnson and Hardy. When they drafted Johnson last year i thought to myself this kid could be the sleeper of the draft for the Bills. I watched him play at Kentucky. His stats senior year are not that far off Macklins, and Johnson played in the SEC. Which has much better D's then the Big 12. If you dont believe me go check out the Big 12's drop in offensive production during the Bowl season. I would be very wary of drafting any O player out of that confrence. Just cause you put up good stats doesn't mean much. Most of the times it was like those guys were playing 7 on 7.Johnson is going to be a very solid player.

At the end of the day guys, the Bills have much more pressing areas to adress. I for one would be disappointed if we selected a wr in the first. The Bills need to go D in the First. Either tackle or end. Maybe TE in second. Then a LB with next pick. That order could change depending what they do in FA. But sorry no Macklin and no vet wrs please.

I really hope that the Bills don't draft a WR in the first round! If the Bills brass is not sold on Hardy or Johnson, and they want to pick up a blue chip widereciever then they should wait and hope that Hakeem Nicks is available in the second round. I've mentioned him before, I think he is gonna have the best pro career out of the whole WR draft this year.

How can Johnson hit a sophomore slump when he produced next to nothing as a rookie?

Will someone PLEASE tell me what I am missing with the Steve Johnson fascination?

How can Johnson hit a sophomore slump when he produced next to nothing as a rookie?

Will someone PLEASE tell me what I am missing with the Steve Johnson fascination?

No disrespect,

but what your missing is that he was very productive with Kentucky against SEC competion (which is the best defensive conference in all of college footbal), that he had his best games against the best teams in the conference (so another words, when it counted most he was productive), He got high marks for running good routes coming out of college, He was one of the most productive recievers in training camp this past year, he was one of the most productive recievers in preseason this past year, He was productive in practices and when given a shot ( the last two games) he was productive and scored two td's in two games.

So I know you keep bringing up this 11 receptions deal a lot, but you have to take into account, he was'nt given an opportunity until Hardy went down. When given an opportunity he did well.

So the whole point of this is that When Steve Johnson is on the field, whether it was in college, in practice, in camp, in preseason or in the last two games of the season, he produced.

So that's the fascination with Steve Johnson.

I'm sure he will be given a chance next year and you'll see, he will produce for us.

No disrespect,

but what your missing is that he was very productive with Kentucky against SEC competion (which is the best defensive conference in all of college footbal), that he had his best games against the best teams in the conference (so another words, when it counted most he was productive), He got high marks for running good routes coming out of college, He was one of the most productive recievers in training camp this past year, he was one of the most productive recievers in preseason this past year, He was productive in practices and when given a shot ( the last two games) he was productive and scored two td's in two games.

So I know you keep bringing up this 11 receptions deal a lot, but you have to take into account, he was'nt given an opportunity until Hardy went down. When given an opportunity he did well.

So the whole point of this is that When Steve Johnson is on the field, whether it was in college, in practice, in camp, in preseason or in the last two games of the season, he produced.

So that's the fascination with Steve Johnson.

I'm sure he will be given a chance next year and you'll see, he will produce for us.

None taken. I would really like you to be right, make no mistake about that. I probably harp on the receptions stat a bit more than necessary, but to me it's a tut of reality that needs to be considered.

I agree that Johnson was very effective in a great college conference (Andre Woodson was the MAN at Kentucky), and that I saw some things in the red zone vs. the Jets and Broncos that were encouraging, but I feel that too many folks are over-stating his value to the team at this point. To borrow a phrase from Dick, I don't find his "body of work" sufficient for that kind of conclusion. Whether that's resulting from lack of opportunity, that's a matter of opinion, and I'm not sure I could make a compelling argument against it. I just think it's too soon to say conclusively about the guy. My personal mindset on Johnson is that Buffalo should treat their WR situation as though both he and Hardy will be flops, and try to get a bona fide No. 2 target in the fold. That way, if/when Johnson does pan out, they're all the richer for it.

None taken. I would really like you to be right, make no mistake about that. I probably harp on the receptions stat a bit more than necessary, but to me it's a tut of reality that needs to be considered.

I agree that Johnson was very effective in a great college conference (Andre Woodson was the MAN at Kentucky), and that I saw some things in the red zone vs. the Jets and Broncos that were encouraging, but I feel that too many folks are over-stating his value to the team at this point. To borrow a phrase from Dick, I don't find his "body of work" sufficient for that kind of conclusion. Whether that's resulting from lack of opportunity, that's a matter of opinion, and I'm not sure I could make a compelling argument against it. I just think it's too soon to say conclusively about the guy. My personal mindset on Johnson is that Buffalo should treat their WR situation as though both he and Hardy will be flops, and try to get a bona fide No. 2 target in the fold. That way, if/when Johnson does pan out, they're all the richer for it.

I think why people are overstating things about Johnson, is because we are holding out for hope that he turns out to be what everyone wants him to be, and the reason why many of us have this hope for Johnson is because he has shown flashes of productive competence. I personally would like for him to have an opportunity and I believe it's gonna happen, based on the success he had with the limited opportunites he had at the end of the season.