A Rod Tests

WWVaBeach

good move by him... :blink:

Admits to using them

"When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure. I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," Rodriguez told ESPN's Peter Gammons in an interview in Miami Beach, Fla. "Back then, [baseball] was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young, I was stupid, I was naïve. I wanted to prove to everyone I was worth being one of the greatest players of all time.

"I did take a banned substance. For that, I'm very sorry and deeply regretful."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, he said he did something stupid and regrets it...now i hope he blasts the hell out of the union and the justice dept for letting this out....

So essentially it's "Waaaaah, I signed a really big contract and now I'm afraid that people will laugh at me, so that makes it OK to take steroids."

no, he said he did something stupid and regrets it...now i hope he blasts the hell out of the union and the justice dept for letting this out....

There's absolutely going to be defamation lawsuits from the players that get named.

I think what he said was the right thing to do. Own up to it, and just move on. There won't be any backlash from anybody but the media and fans, so what do you really have to lose? You make the same money, don't get suspended, and don't get indicted for anything.

No, it's a BS PR move. This "apology" was completely expected and completely contrived. Does anyone really believe that he really stopped using after he tested positive?

As for the union and justice department? Cry me a river. I couldn't care less if the league made every one of those who tested positive wear a big scarlet "S" on their uniforms.

No, it's a BS PR move. This "apology" was completely expected and completely contrived. Does anyone really believe that he really stopped using after he tested positive?

As for the union and justice department? Cry me a river. I couldn't care less if the league made every one of those who tested positive wear a big scarlet "S" on their uniforms.

Yes, because they test for anabolic steroids.

Yes, because they test for anabolic steroids.

Maybe he stopped the anabolic steroids themselves, but what about "the cream", "the clear", HGH and whatever other designer boutique drugs that are out there, drugs that have either limited or no testing available, or are detectable only by blood tests - which the union has blocked.

Maybe it's a contrived apology, but at least he's better than the likes of Clemens, McGwire, and Bonds who still vehemently deny using even though everybody knows they did.

I guess that one example would be if you took LSD prior to it being illegal back in the 70's, and then got arrested for it once it was made illegal years later.

But even that's a stretch because nobodys going to actually be arrested, and nobody's going to be suspended from baseball. The only real effects from this will be in the court of public opinion.

i dont think anyone is taking LSD really to be better at their job and beat records, u cant compare taking steroids and taking LSD. now if he took LSD and put up these numbers, he deserves every record

Maybe it's a contrived apology, but at least he's better than the likes of Clemens, McGwire, and Bonds who still vehemently deny using even though everybody knows they did.

Yeah, I guess I have to give him credit for not pulling out the most ridiculous denial ever - Clemens' "I'd have a third ear growing out of my forehead."

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm pretty ticked because I hoped that A-Rod was clean, and that he'd eventually knock Barroid out of the HR record books.

BTW, anyone else up for resetting the HR marks to the pre-Steroid Era and giving Maris and Hammerin' Hank their records back?

Am I the only one who read the headline "A-Rod admits to taking performance enhancing drugs" and immediately thought "But not in the playoffs"?

:thumbsup:

Nice.

Yeah, I guess I have to give him credit for not pulling out the most ridiculous denial ever - Clemens' "I'd have a third ear growing out of my forehead."

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm pretty ticked because I hoped that A-Rod was clean, and that he'd eventually knock Barroid out of the HR record books.

BTW, anyone else up for resetting the HR marks to the pre-Steroid Era and giving Maris and Hammerin' Hank their records back?

I wish Selig and company had the cojones to do that, but it simply isn't feasible, especially considering that Mcgwire never TECHNICALLY tested positive for anything. Bonds is a different story, but he's done a pretty good job so far of legally pinning the blame on everybody else besides himself. If Selig actually wanted to wipe the records clean, there would be way way too much red tape. And when it comes to Arod, the information on him was obtained illegally. The results of the 2003 testing was never supposed to be revealed, so the players union would be all over MLB like a pack of wild dogs if they tried to make Arod face any sort of justice. Bottomline is, the best we can do is put a mental asterisk next to their names in the record books. The true justice is that none of these creeps will probably ever make the hall of fame.

Kind of makes one appreciate Ken Griffey Jr a little more, huh? Derek Jeter anyone? Of course, we don't know who the other 102 guys are...yet!

Sorry, I can't get too enraged over A-Rod, or even Bonds for that matter (though I gotta say, I hate Roger Celmens, and have enjoyed watching him make a complete ass out of himself). I think Bud Selig deserves as much, if not more, of the blame for this whole thing, as any players do. They got very rich of these guys, knowing full well what was going on, and now take the moral high ground when their sins come to light.

I wish Selig and company had the cojones to do that, but it simply isn't feasible, especially considering that Mcgwire never TECHNICALLY tested positive for anything. Bonds is a different story, but he's done a pretty good job so far of legally pinning the blame on everybody else besides himself. If Selig actually wanted to wipe the records clean, there would be way way too much red tape. And when it comes to Arod, the information on him was obtained illegally. The results of the 2003 testing was never supposed to be revealed, so the players union would be all over MLB like a pack of wild dogs if they tried to make Arod face any sort of justice. Bottomline is, the best we can do is put a mental asterisk next to their names in the record books. The true justice is that none of these creeps will probably ever make the hall of fame.

Thanks for the breakdown, but it was really more of a rhetorical question...

Kind of makes one appreciate Ken Griffey Jr a little more, huh? Derek Jeter anyone? Of course, we don't know who the other 102 guys are...yet!

Sorry, I can't get too enraged over A-Rod, or even Bonds for that matter (though I gotta say, I hate Roger Celmens, and have enjoyed watching him make a complete ass out of himself). I think Bud Selig deserves as much, if not more, of the blame for this whole thing, as any players do. They got very rich of these guys, knowing full well what was going on, and now take the moral high ground when their sins come to light.

The saddest part is that A-rod, Bonds, Clemens...none of them needed steroids one bit! They could have been considered some of the greatest in the history of the game without popping one single pill, or injecting themselves with anything. The only reason they took steroids is because they are narcissists who are never satisfied, and now they have to live with their mistakes. McGwire is a slightly different story because his home run swing was the only thing that he had going for him. He wasn't speedy, he didn't field very well, and he didn't hit for average. Bonds and A-rod....5 tool players, two of the greatest to ever take the field. Both of them are right up there with Willie Mays, but they just screwed it all up. As a baseball fan who can appreciate a great player, it is very very sad/