Still a QB situation in Buffalo?

Now I don't want anyone to get me wrong, but my thoughts about a QB are of the mindset that Buffalo needs one with a strong arm who loves the cold weather. A guy who grew up in the cold, and has played ball in cold weather. While Trent is improving and is a likeable guy we need a combination of a Trent Edwards and a JP Losman. Brains, arm and feet. Buffalo will probably snag another QB in this draft. Is there a surprise pick out there not many may think of? Like I said don't get me wrong I just don't see Trent being a 300 yard passer more than 3 times a season.

Nobody LOVES cold weather. Ask Jim Kelly etc...all of the other QBs that have played here. They would rather have played in a dome or in 80 degree weather.....Kelly has said that in prior interviews. Much easier to grip a ball, throw etc....

Now I don't want anyone to get me wrong, but my thoughts about a QB are of the mindset that Buffalo needs one with a strong arm who loves the cold weather. A guy who grew up in the cold, and has played ball in cold weather. While Trent is improving and is a likeable guy we need a combination of a Trent Edwards and a JP Losman. Brains, arm and feet. Buffalo will probably snag another QB in this draft. Is there a surprise pick out there not many may think of? Like I said don't get me wrong I just don't see Trent being a 300 yard passer more than 3 times a season.

This question can't be answered until the Bills have a new head coach.

Flacco is not a 300 yard passing qb. Roethlesberger in his first few years was not a 300 yard passing qb, lots of good qb's were not 300 yard passers until later in that career. TE has "it" to be a very good passer and a 300 yard passer. He'll have at least 2 300 yard passing games this year and 20+ td's

First let me say that this is not a slam at SWVABillsFan. I'm responding to a recurring theme that comes up on this board.

I have to address the silly notion that floats around Bills' Nation from time to time that to be a successful quarterback in Buffalo that one needs to be from a cold-weather climate and have extensive experience playing in the cold. There's usually some implication also about mental toughness being a function of a cold weather upbringing.

I will call this "The Cold Weather Theory."

First let me state that more NFL players come from California than any other state. These are recent numbers from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

States with the most NFL players

California: 198

Texas: 173

Florida: 169

Georgia: 84

Ohio: 65

Pennsylvania: 65

Louisiana: 62

Virginia: 56

North Carolina: 53

South Carolina: 49

Mississippi: 47

Illinois: 47

Alabama: 46

You'll notice 3 cold weather states on the list. Based on these numbers across all positions, the Cold Weather Theory has no validity whatsoever.

Let's move on to quarterbacks. There are 22 quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame. Ten of them were either born/raised played most of high school/college football in predominantly warm weather. They are Aikman, Bradshaw, Elway, Fouts, Jurgensen, Layne, Moon, Starr, Tarkenton, and Tittle.

Almost all of these HOF's excelled in NFL cold weather climates after spending most of their earlier football careers playing in warm weather. Of the above the only ones who played in warm weather NFL cities were Aikman, Fouts, and Moon although Moon was a record setting quarterback in the Canadian Football League.

Of present day quarterbacks Tom Brady is from the Bay area (as is Trent Edwards and Jim Harbaugh), Carson Palmer and Matt Cassell are from southern California, Brett Favre from Mississippi, Peyton and Eli from Louisiana, Phillip Rivers from Alabama, and I could go on and on.

Listen, a cold weather upbringing probably has almost nothing to do with how well a quarterback plays in cold weather in the NFL. Is there an adjustment to be made? Probably. But in light of all this information, how much of a factor is it really?

The two best cold weather quarterbacks in the game are probably Brett Favre (until recently) of Mississippi and Tom Brady of California.

People with oversimplistic, one kilobyte brains like to connect the dots from Rob Johnson to JP Losman, to Trent Edwards and make the Cold Weather Theory. "Down on Cali QBs!"

With analytical skills like that, I wish you the best of luck in your life. You're gonna need it.

Trent may or may not be the man, we'll obviously find out more this season, however I do agree that the Bills

should be looking for a QB in the draft as JP will be gone, and the Bills need to take more of a N.E. Pats approach

and get someone in the system and learning the pro game before they need to call on him.

First let me say that this is not a slam at SWVABillsFan. I'm responding to a recurring theme that comes up on this board.

I have to address the silly notion that floats around Bills' Nation from time to time that to be a successful quarterback in Buffalo that one needs to be from a cold-weather climate and have extensive experience playing in the cold. There's usually some implication also about mental toughness being a function of a cold weather upbringing.

First let me state that more NFL players come from California than any other state. These are recent numbers from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

You'll notice 3 cold weather states on the list. Based on these numbers across all positions, the Cold Weather Theory has no validity whatsoever.

Let's move on to quarterbacks. There are 22 quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame. Ten of them were either born/raised played most of high school/college football in predominantly warm weather. They are Aikman, Bradshaw, Elway, Fouts, Jurgensen, Layne, Moon, Starr, Tarkenton, and Tittle.

Almost all of these HOF's excelled in NFL cold weather climates after spending most of their earlier football careers playing in warm weather. Of the above the only ones who played in warm weather NFL cities were Aikman, Fouts, and Moon although Moon was a record setting quarterback in the Canadian Football League.

Of present day quarterbacks Tom Brady is from the Bay area (as is Trent Edwards and Jim Harbaugh), Carson Palmer and Matt Cassell are from southern California, Brett Favre from Mississippi, Peyton and Eli from Louisiana, Phillip Rivers from Alabama, and I could go on and on.

Listen, a cold weather upbringing probably has almost nothing to do with how well a quarterback plays in cold weather in the NFL. Is there an adjustment to be made? Probably. But in light of all this information, how much of a factor is it really?

The two best cold weather quarterbacks in the game are probably Brett Favre (until recently) of Mississippi and Tom Brady of California.

People with oversimplistic, one kilobyte brains like to connect the dots from Rob Johnson to JP Losman, to Trent Edwards and make the Cold Weather Theory. "Down on Cali QBs!"

With analytical skills like that, I wish you the best of luck in your life. You're gonna need it.

you did your homework :thumbsup:

You got it backwards my friend. The Qb gets the coach fired.

In many cases I would agree, but Jauron takes awful to a higher level. I am of the opinion that he is such a bad coach, that he is almost certain to hinder a quarterback, let alone an entire team.

Taking it a step further, I never thought Losman was a good quarterback, but if there ever was any slim chance of him not sucking, it was probably negated by Jauron.

georgia looks like it has the best players

To answer the two questions that you ask:

Yes. Until Trent or someone else (and it has to be a quarterback) steps up and takes control of this team then there will always be a deficit at the QB position. IMO, Trent hasn't really shown much locker room leadership yet. Maybe it is because he has only completed his first full season as starter, but at some point he has to take control. Not Lee, not Marshawn, not Donte, but Trent.

Brady and Big Ben had problems with cold weather but they made the necessary changes to improve because they HAD to just as Trent HAS to if he wants to succeed in Buffalo. It can be done, and it has to be done or when the next coaching staff comes in he will be out. It is the NFL (Not For Long) after all.

This question can't be answered until the Bills have a new head coach.

I tend to agree with you. Unless the Bills grab a vet QB in FA, Hamdan is the new #2 and no one really knows what to expect from him under fire. Chances are better than 50/50 that the #2 guy will be in for a couple of games next year. The Bills are still going to have to go out and get another QB, either as a backup for Edwards or as a #3 if they think Hamdan can handle #2.

Evans got double teamed up the wazoo and apart from Reed being the 3rd down target, the receivers weren't all that much of a factor in the 2nd half of the season. I don't see much reason for that to change, unless the Bills go after a big time FA WR. Even if they do, the HC and OC will still be the same. We were told that the offense would be more "wide open" last season. Looked more like "baffling" to me, at least down the stretch.

Unless Jauron pulls off a miracle next year, the Bills will have a new HC somewhere between mid season and the end, and then......

I tend to agree with you. Unless the Bills grab a vet QB in FA, Hamdan is the new #2 and no one really knows what to expect from him under fire. Chances are better than 50/50 that the #2 guy will be in for a couple of games next year. The Bills are still going to have to go out and get another QB, either as a backup for Edwards or as a #3 if they think Hamdan can handle #2.

Evans got double teamed up the wazoo and apart from Reed being the 3rd down target, the receivers weren't all that much of a factor in the 2nd half of the season. I don't see much reason for that to change, unless the Bills go after a big time FA WR. Even if they do, the HC and OC will still be the same. We were told that the offense would be more "wide open" last season. Looked more like "baffling" to me, at least down the stretch.

Unless Jauron pulls off a miracle next year, the Bills will have a new HC somewhere between mid season and the end, and then......

Trent's best attribute thus far has been the fact he's not JP. Some fans still use this as a blindfold today. Is it possible they both stink? I don't understand how alot of you expect a dynamic offense when a Qb can't get the ball deep. Countless times last year Trent had all day to pull the trigger and couldn't. This sort of simplifies things a bit wouldn't you say? I saw alot of eight and nine men in the box last year and we couldn't punish them. If Trent doesn't improve, the new HC everybody is clamouring for will be on the hotseat all over again. A new system isn't the answer, we have tried that over and over again. It doesn't matter who you are, no Qb, no offense. I guess Mike Mularkey can attest to that.

Thoughtful analysis and well said.

Did he? looking at his stats, I would say he regressed this year. He didn't look any better then he did in his first year in Buffalo

Trent's best attribute thus far has been the fact he's not JP. Some fans still use this as a blindfold today. Is it possible they both stink? I don't understand how alot of you expect a dynamic offense when a Qb can't get the ball deep. Countless times last year Trent had all day to pull the trigger and couldn't. This sort of simplifies things a bit wouldn't you say? I saw alot of eight and nine men in the box last year and we couldn't punish them. If Trent doesn't improve, the new HC everybody is clamouring for will be on the hotseat all over again. A new system isn't the answer, we have tried that over and over again. It doesn't matter who you are, no Qb, no offense. I guess Mike Mularkey can attest to that.

Well, I'm not going to say a word about JP, but TE played well the first 4 games or so (90%+ QB rating). The raging question is, what happened after that and why? I don't have the answers, but the Bills staff is on the hot seat to get that figured out and corrected for next season. One would assume that Ralph has the GM and coaching staff on a very short leash.

Well, I'm not going to say a word about JP, but TE played well the first 4 games or so (90%+ QB rating). The raging question is, what happened after that and why? I don't have the answers, but the Bills staff is on the hot seat to get that figured out and corrected for next season. One would assume that Ralph has the GM and coaching staff on a very short leash.

May be looking back a little on what happened after the San Diego game would be helpful.

At Miami - Team was leading 16-7 before they blew it all in the 4th quarter. While the offense under Edwards played badly in the 4th qtr, the defense did give up too many plays in that quarter. - Cannot blame it on Edwards.

Home Jets - This was the first bad outing by Edwards. Once again if he does not make that mistake on the goal-line, we would be up by 10 instead of a 14 point swing. The Jets did nothing and we had a chance to win the game and self-destructed. BAD GAME By Edwards.

@ New England - BAD Game by Edwards....Confused by Belicheks defense....threw two bad INTs, but received no help from his running game or WRs.

Vs Cleveland - Most Pivotal game...In my mind Edwards and to a bigger extent Turk blew this game. For a team playing its 2nd home MNF game in many years, this was a great chance to show case their talent against the weak Brownies playing a rookie QB and the Bills blow it by giving the ball to Lynch exactly once in the 4th qtr. This game was lost by Turk and Jauron for playing scared by running for losses on 2nd and 3rd down after Edwards had made a great throw to get the Bills to the Browns 30 yard line. Definitely the blame is not on Edwards.

KC - Win..Edwards had a great game...

SF - This was a curious game...No one really knows when Edwards got injured, but he did not return for the 2nd half. Considering the final score was 10-3, I don't see how Edwards would not have rallied the team in the 4th qtr if he was playing. Give credit to SF defense for not letting the Bills score. Losman as usual had a horrible game in the 2nd half.

Miami & Jets - We know the outcome and how the last nail was drilled on Losmans career in Buffalo.

Denver - This was an amazing game for Edwards...He kept fighting back and they had a fantastic Road win in Denver where not many people win. Game ball goes to Edwards and Jackson.

Patriots - Horrible day for the team...Jackson runs wild for 135 yards, Edwards is ok, but the team cannot punch it in for points. The defense could not stop the other team. Bizzarre play calls and decisions by the coaching unit. No single scape goat..

So if you see, Edwards really HAD TWO BAD Games in the middle of the season playing the Jets and the Patriots. The Bills self destructed in MANY OTHER areas in other games.