If the Bills draft a CB in the first round

nemhoff

ok, you must just be trying to start a scream fest because there is no plausible scenario that would have us take a CB in the first round...

lame thread... :w00t:

A lot of people say "you take the best player available no matter what"

If you take the best possible player avail, and the best player avail is a CB......then you take a CB, by that logic. I don't agree with it though. i believe you should factor need in there as well, but talent should be more important.

If you take the best possible player avail, and the best player avail is a CB......then you take a CB, by that logic. I don't agree with it though. i believe you should factor need in there as well, but talent should be more important.

So if NE franchises Cassel and Sanchez is there when they pick, should they take him as he would likely be the best player available at that spot in the draft?

We are deep at CB, we dont need a CB. Not to mention, speculating that a player is the "best player available" is all in the eye of the beholder...

The only possible scenario I can see us taking a CB in round 1 is IF and only IF, we trade McGee before the draft because of his upcoming free agency in 2010. I still seriously doubt they do select a CB in round 1 with Youboty and Corner looking promising and having Leodis and Greer (they would have obviously resigned him if they traded McGee).

What will Bill in NYC do?

Bill in NYC will praise the move as a brilliant stroke of drafting because you can never have enough CBs.

He will, of course, be typing this from a padded rubber room in a mental hospital somewhere, with his toes, while in a straight jacket. :-)

BPA at a position of need should be the teams draft strategy, with particular emphasis on the lines if your teams are poor.

Taking a CB would be like taking a LT right now. You already have fine players at those positions, and it would hinder your ability to build elsewhere.

I'd like to see pass rush early and often. People talk about never having enough DB's, and DJ's proven that theory is garbage. For once I'd like to see the Bills follow the Giants lead and take pass rush help in round 1. No TE or C is worth the 11th overall pick.

Best player available is mostly a figure of speech - it means the best player available *for your team*. Which player will do the most to make your team better. Nobody ever drafts a QB in the first round if they have a young pro bowler - or RB, etc. The other option, drafting for need, looks specifically at making weaknesses vanish. BPA looks equally on making strengths stronger.

I'm a big proponent of best player available, but blindly picking the best player available isn't practical or advisable. I'd like the Bills to go with a modified best player available this year. Best player available over 6 feet tall and over 225 lbs.

Best player available is mostly a figure of speech - it means the best player available *for your team*. Which player will do the most to make your team better. Nobody ever drafts a QB in the first round if they have a young pro bowler - or RB, etc. The other option, drafting for need, looks specifically at making weaknesses vanish. BPA looks equally on making strengths stronger.

Hi

-Tom Donahoe, Former Bills GM

Does everyone have something against taking cornerbacks first. The Leodis pick was well worth it. He will be a stud in this league for many years. If Greer leaves this year, and mcgee the next, what would be wrong with taking Jenkins. Of course this is after we fill most of our needs via Free agency. 3 Weeks from now we will start to know what we need in the draft. And I know the Whitner pick was an iffy call.

ok, you must just be trying to start a scream fest because there is no plausible scenario that would have us take a CB in the first round...

lame thread... :w00t:

I respectfully disagree.

Jabari Greer is a FA and likely won't be retained

Terrence McGee and Ashton Youboty are in the final year of their respective deals

Only Leodis McKelvin and Reggie Corner are under contract past the '09 season

It's not outlandish at all for Buffalo to pick a cornerback early in the draft. You don't have to like it, but it certainly would make some sense.

I respectfully disagree.

Jabari Greer is a FA and likely won't be retained

Terrence McGee and Ashton Youboty are in the final year of their respective deals

Only Leodis McKelvin and Reggie Corner are under contract past the '09 season

It's not outlandish at all for Buffalo to pick a cornerback early in the draft. You don't have to like it, but it certainly would make some sense.

Bingo! The scary thing is that you are right on the money. Which means, when the Bills draft a CB, Bill will probably be instantly catatonic, numb with shock and disbelief. Followed by bouts of rage and hysterical laughter. :w00t: