Beef On Weck

jax bill backer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you think has the best Beef on Weck in Buffalo

Charlie the Butcher's (though it's a litte pricey) and Hoak's on the Lake :wallbash: Went on a first date there and brag about how good the Beef on Weck was. Amazingly, a girl eating beef on weck isn't as hot as I pictured it to be.

Who do you think has the best Beef on Weck in Buffalo

I remember really liking Steve's Pig and Ox? Is it even open anymore? The food in Buffalo is the best (pizza, wings, and Mighty Taco). Man do I miss the food.

Schwabel's in West Seneca. I'd say this is the best.

Mister Dee's in Cheektowaga

Charile the Butcher and Swistons, are very good, too.

BTW, this is the wrong board for posts like this. It should be moved to Off the Wall

Where is Charlie the Butcher located at?

One location is at Cayuga and Wherli. The Creekview on main in Williamsville along with Shepard's Pub on Transit have good beef also.

My wife makes it at home in Chicago. Buy kaiser rolls, put the salt and caraway seeds on the top of the bun with some eggwash and pop the rolls in the oven for about 2 minutes. Buy a piece of top round beef (I think) and cook that to medium rare. Carve it up, add some horseradish and you've got a very authentic sandwich.

One location is at Cayuga and Wherli. The Creekview on main in Williamsville along with Shepard's Pub on Transit have good beef also.

My wife makes it at home in Chicago. Buy kaiser rolls, put the salt and caraway seeds on the top of the bun with some eggwash and pop the rolls in the oven for about 2 minutes. Buy a piece of top round beef (I think) and cook that to medium rare. Carve it up, add some horseradish and you've got a very authentic sandwich.

Yep - you can make a decent roll that way. I'd advise egg washing the bottom of the roll and dust on some more caraway seed. Of course - don't use a roll that has eggs in its' ingredients.

Also, buy an envelope of au jus gravy and heat according to directions. Toss the sliced round into that, and dispense the wetted beef onto the roll dip the bottom surface. for more juiciness, dip bottom of the top portion of the roll.

I cook the round pretty rare - the hot au jus does its' thing.

Here's a recipe for authentic rolls:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060831071625/...reads+and+Rolls

A lot of work for sure. The treatment of a store-bought Kaiser as you suggest is a good, delicious substitute.

Yep - you can make a decent roll that way. I'd advise egg washing the bottom of the roll and dust on some more caraway seed. Of course - don't use a roll that has eggs in its' ingredients.

Also, buy an envelope of au jus gravy and heat according to directions. Toss the sliced round into that, and dispense the wetted beef onto the roll dip the bottom surface. for more juiciness, dip bottom of the top portion of the roll.

I cook the round pretty rare - the hot au jus does its' thing.

Here's a recipe for authentic rolls:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060831071625/...reads+and+Rolls

A lot of work for sure. The treatment of a store-bought Kaiser as you suggest is a good, delicious substitute.

Yes, shame on me for forgetting to mention the au jus.