ESPN article about Greer

BillsFan74

there has to be an ulterior motive behind greer's comments...it has to be a negotiating ploy. how anyone could want to stay here and run themselves to death on the treadmill of mediocrity is beyond me. how could a free agent look around at all the guys that left here in the last couple of years and landed right in the playoffs...and then NOT want the hell out while they were still in their prime. this team is going nowhere with the current ownership and everyone knows it.

because he'll get paid a sum of money that he never dreamt of getting when he entered the league as a UFDA. He's in a good place, with great fanbase, but a so-so franchise, doing what he does best and leaving his long life dream.

Maybe that is it for him, who knows?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that the Bills will make no effort to sign Greer. I have not read that there has been any contact with his agent at any time. I don't think this is the right decision, but I predict Greer will not be re-signed and McKelvin will start in his place next year.

there has to be an ulterior motive behind greer's comments...it has to be a negotiating ploy. how anyone could want to stay here and run themselves to death on the treadmill of mediocrity is beyond me. how could a free agent look around at all the guys that left here in the last couple of years and landed right in the playoffs...and then NOT want the hell out while they were still in their prime. this team is going nowhere with the current ownership and everyone knows it.

Or maybe the player's aren't as jaded as the fans and really do like the way the team is going. In their opinion, they should have been a playoff team but blew it. I know the common thing is that the players just like DJ because he is easy on them. But maybe, just maybe, they really respect the man and like playing for him. This is still a very young team.

I love McGee but I would like to see what he could get on the trade block. I think Greer has become our best all-around corner.

I think if the Bills can keep McGee and Greer then they will have one of, if not, the deepest CB roster in the league with Greer, McGee, McKelvin and Corner.

They already had the above in 08, right? It doesn't matter when you are small, your front 7 sucks, and you play a cover-2 in the cold. Corners should be an afterthought at this point.

I have a feeling that the Bills will make no effort to sign Greer. I have not read that there has been any contact with his agent at any time. I don't think this is the right decision, but I predict Greer will not be re-signed and McKelvin will start in his place next year.

Why should they tell a newspaper their business dealings?

so what??..this crap about how much each player costs is crap and something us fans shouldnt need to worry about...money paid to players is a FO worry not mine...I want to keep players that can play and stop getting rid of them.

To some extent, I agree with you--why worry about other people's money?

But the reality is that there is a finite amount of money and you have to spend it wisely. If you invest too much in one position, then you can't invest as much in another. It's rare to find a team that has spent money on two #1 CB's--and when you do (e.g., Broncos), the team usually has huge holes elsewhere.

They already had the above in 08, right? It doesn't matter when you are small, your front 7 sucks, and you play a cover-2 in the cold. Corners should be an afterthought at this point.

I agree the front 7 needs to be addressed big time but you still to this old fashion sense of football. The Arizona Cardinals have one of the worst running games in football, yet they are playing in the SB because they have (hold on to your hat) 3 1,000 yard receivers.

I'd prefer to sign Greer and either trade McGee this offseason or keep him for 2009 and let him walk afterwards. If you think Greer is going to command a lot of money, wait until you see what kind of money McGee will be looking for.

I posted a thread about this and some saw the logic and yet others screamed "quit trying to trade our best players" non sense...

Buffalo will be absolutely foolish not to trade McGee this year. Its our deepest position and he is the most valuable commodity there who WILL be gone after this year. Buffalo will not pay him the contract he will command on the open market after paying Greer this year and having Leodis up and coming.

Two prime target teams would be ideal...Cle in a swap that involves Winslow if Cle and Winslow cant settle their differences, or explore a trade with AZ if Boldin and AZ cant settle their differences. Boldin is the most unlikely of the two, but Cle is actually a very viable option.

If neither team bites, look for some package of draft picks or something. But one way or another, the signing of Greer will make McGee a goner either this year or next. We will be stupid to let him go for nothing...we have made that mistake twice now...

I agree the front 7 needs to be addressed big time but you still to this old fashion sense of football. The Arizona Cardinals have one of the worst running games in football, yet they are playing in the SB because they have (hold on to your hat) 3 1,000 yard receivers.

And, Arizona "squandered" their best resources on a 1st round CB in last year's draft. That's a sure recipe for disaster, according to some.

I'm not as old fashion as you might think (at least not imo :thumbsup: ).

The Steel Curtain had Swann and Stallworth racking up yardage. The 77 Raiders were an offensive juggernaut. The 49ers with Young and Montana, etc threw all over the place. I could of course go on.

Passing is great but at the end of the day, this team plays in Orchard Park, not Arizona. They also have a game in Foxboro and the Swamp, where it is often cold.

If the Bills (gasp) had a home playoff game, the weather would have a better than 50% chance of being awful. They would need a team capable of playing "old school" football.......which is to run the football and out muscle your opponents defensively.

Dick Levy stupidly thinks otherwise. He/they are all about dbs, and we languish in the cellar of losers as such. What makes my blood boil is how simple this stuff is.

And, Arizona "squandered" their best resources on a 1st round CB in last year's draft. That's a sure recipe for disaster, according to some.

Their DL and LBs are better than ours. That is saying something too because they are an offensive team. Besides, wasn't he picked 16th? Why wait so long? Better to grab a small safety at #6, right? :thumbsup:

The Steel Curtain had Swann and Stallworth racking up yardage. The 77 Raiders were an offensive juggernaut. The 49ers with Young and Montana, etc threw all over the place. I could of course go on.

Passing is great but at the end of the day, this team plays in Orchard Park, not Arizona. They also have a game in Foxboro and the Swamp, where it is often cold.

If the Bills (gasp) had a home playoff game, the weather would have a better than 50% chance of being awful. They would need a team capable of playing "old school" football.......which is to run the football and out muscle your opponents defensively.

Dick Levy stupidly thinks otherwise. He/they are all about dbs, and we languish in the cellar of losers as such. What makes my blood boil is how simple this stuff is.

IMO, there should not be a guy less than 230 lbs (a LB) picked in the first 4 rounds this year.

Um, Kelly and the K Gun offense took us to four straight super bowls, and they didnt out muscle anyone...we were an explosive offense, not a power offense...since then we havent sniffed it...they threw all over teams in the very same places you are talking about, but noticed you conveinently left them off your list.

Brady and company throw all over people no matter where they play, even when he had marginal WR's...plus they play in all the places you just mentioned...again, conveniently left off your list. The last thing anyone would ever call the Pats is a power "old school" juggernaut.

McNabb doesnt have trouble passing the ball in Philly despite playing in bad weather city and he hasnt even had any quality WR's to throw to most of his career. He is taken the Eagles to 5 NFC championship games and one SB over the last 8 years...the last thing anyone would ever call the Eagles is a power "old school" juggernaut.

And FYI: Super Bowls arent played in the snow or cold...they are played in Domes or warm weather stadiums...

Their DL and LBs are better than ours. That is saying something too because they are an offensive team. Besides, wasn't he picked 16th? Why wait so long? Better to grab a small safety at #6, right? :thumbsup:

It's interesting that the Final 4 teams this year all had I believe 1st round safeties in Wilson, Dawkins, Troy P, and Ed Reed. Reed and Crazy hair aren't that much bigger than Whitner. And for the lack of DL being paid attention by the Bills, Schobel, Denney and Kelsay were all 2nd rounders and McCargo and Stroud were former 1st rounders. So they paid attention. They just selected th wrong guys.

Whitner is average sized for a safety. He isn't "small", nor is he "big." If you're gonna take shots, at least be factual. :blink:

Um, Kelly and the K Gun offense took us to four straight super bowls, and they didnt out muscle anyone...we were an explosive offense, not a power offense...since then we havent sniffed it...they threw all over teams in the very same places you are talking about, but noticed you conveinently left them off your list.

Brady and company throw all over people no matter where they play, even when he had marginal WR's...plus they play in all the places you just mentioned...again, conveniently left off your list.

McNabb doesnt have trouble passing the ball in Philly despite playing in bad weather city and he hasnt even had any quality WR's to throw to most of his career. He is taken the Eagles to 5 NFC championship games and one SB over the last 8 years...

And FYI: Super Bowls arent played in the snow or cold...they are played in Domes or warm weather stadiums...

Look, the Bills lost the 1st superbowl because of stupid coaching. Thurman should have seen the ball more. The Giants carved up the field in time consuming drives and Levy answered with a no huddle. Great. :thumbsup:

Brady? Like it or not, he is an all time great. He also has a terrific OL, that is equally good at run and pass blocking. Also, look at the monsters on their D Line and consider where they were drafted. Were they built by drafting 1st round safeties and corners?

McNabb? He is good too. So if you don't mind me asking, wtf is your point? :blink: Where did I say that teams shouldn't throw? Every team needs a balanced attack, but the Bills can't make a yard or 2 on 3rd and short. Holding their opponents on 3rd and short is an even bigger joke.

The teams you named are big and aggressive. The Superbowl Bills were stocked with talent but they lacked a coach to take them over the top.

Sorry if anyone I offend with this, but it is true.

Then why did we draft McKelvin? The FO clearly had designs on losing either Greer or McGee. If we can sign Greer, and get something good out of a trade for McGee, isn't that the optimal solution?

I think the best part of the article is the fact that the picture in it is of George Wilson not Greer! GOOD JOB....TIMMYYYYYYYY! LMAO! :thumbsup:

Look, the Bills lost the 1st euperbowl because of stupid coaching. Thurman should have seen the ball more. The Giants carved up the field in time consuming drives and Levy answered with a no huddle. Great. :thumbsup:

Brady? Like it or not, he is an all time great. He also has a terrific OL, that is equally good at run and pass blocking. Also, look at the monsters on their D Line and consider where they were drafted. Were they built by drafting 1st round safeties and corners?

McNabb? He is good too. So if you don't mind me asking, wtf is your point? :blink: Where did I say that teams shouldn't throw? Every team needs a balanced attack, but the Bills can't make a yard or 2 on 3rd and short. Holding their opponents on 3rd and short is an even bigger joke.

The teams you named are big and aggressive. The Superbowl Bills were stocked with talent but they lacked a coach to take them over the top.

Sorry if anyone I offend with this, but it is true.

Maybe I misunderstood your original point. I took it as that you were downplaying the need for a passing attack offensively and the need to defend against the passing attack based on weather.

I was only pointing out that some of the most consistently succesful teams in similar weather were based on a explosive passing attack, including the two teams who have played in most divisional championships in the last 10 years and 5 combined Super Bowls.

By the way, if anyone wants to know why we draft so many cornerbacks...that can be answered in one word: Brady

It's interesting that the Final 4 teams this year all had I believe 1st round safeties in Wilson, Dawkins, Troy P, and Ed Reed. Reed and Crazy hair aren't that much bigger than Whitner. And for the lack of DL being paid attention by the Bills, Schobel, Denney and Kelsay were all 2nd rounders and McCargo and Stroud were former 1st rounders. So they paid attention. They just selected th wrong guys.

It isn't about drafting a first round db here and there when the rest of the team is strong. It is about the mania of doing so and neglecting all else.

Do you know that the last time the Bills selected a Guard below the 5th round was? 1995!!! I am too lazy to look up the corners since then, but you do get the idea.

You did name quite a few d-linemen that were picked early. I guess they simply have to keep going until they get it right, because imo all of them are second rate except Schobel and Stroud.