ESPN article about Greer

BillsFan74

I love Marv Levy to death and I'm extremely greatful that he was our HC for the time that he was here, but I will say this, My father and I always go back and say that we should have thrown one more pass before the Norwood debacle and tried to get a little closer for that FG attempt. Other than that, :thumbsup:

You could be right. I'm sure he's gone over it many times as well. My point is you shouldn't sum up a coachs career based on a few playcalls you didn't like. WTF? The man took his team to 4 SB's in a row and beat solid competition every year to get there. The Bills ran into a couple monsters in the big game. That team would have been a dynasty in alot of other eras. Sorry he didn't live up to Bill's standards.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is quite obvious were going to let both of them go in the next two years, and then start our DB draft cycle once again in 2010.

i wouldn't be surprised if teams will drop Cory Webster money on Greer, and backload it. The Bills will let him go.

On McGee, I'm sure the bills will moan that his knees are too much and he's on the wrong side of 30, and that we conveniently have his replacements in Yobouty and McKelvin.

So long the both of them, they ain't comin back, as long as Ralph and Dick are in charge.

Don't overvalue Greer. He's a decent player, but pretty much a dime-a-dozen solid player and very replaceable. It's not as if the Bills have a good pass defense or anything like that. There's a reason they drafted Reggie Corner. Plus Yobouty is still on the team. They have bigger needs than a nickel corner, which is what Greer will be next year if he stays. He's not as good as McGee (watch McGee against Braylon Edwards last year), and McKelvin is already more dynamic than him. A good defensive end/DT/pass rushing LB will do a lot more for the pass defense than the retention of a third corner.

because he'll get paid a sum of money that he never dreamt of getting when he entered the league as a UFDA. He's in a good place, with great fanbase, but a so-so franchise, doing what he does best and leaving his long life dream.

Maybe that is it for him, who knows?

Fanbase is so so and getting worst every year. For every diehard veteran fan who dies or moves away and no longer follows we get a half-brained fan who will cheer if and only if management does what they think is a good idea. Endorsement deals are a lot better in other cities, in fact almost every other city, and Greer appears to have the personality type which attracts those type of clients if he could blossom on a new team.

Signing Greer provides all kinds of flexibility. It is insurance in case McGee walks next year. It is also insurance in case McKelvin struggles in his sophomore year. It also would keep us from having to invest a high draft pick on a CB yet again in 2009 or 2010. It sounds like Greer, who is coming off a knee injury, is willing to take a home team discount. So why not oblige?

That's really it, in a nutshell. Greer will be cheaper than McGee (unless McGee suffers some serious injury) and it gives McKelvin a year to see what exactly he can do. I'm not really worried about McKelvin, but this is the best way to approach it, IMO. I can't see them re-signing McGee as a FA, as he will cost WAY too much...especially if McKelvin delivers as I expect him to. So, if Greer is willing to negotiate, wrap him up ASAP.

Right now, though, McGee is a better CB than Greer, and adds the return dimension.

Of course, the Bills could always draft Malcolm Jenkins...you can never have too many Ohio State corners. (Did I just hear Bill scream?) :thumbsup:

Regarding McGee moving to safety. Yes, he can do it. He played the position in college. He could step up like Whitner did in nickel situations and be better at it.

Good athletes can play many positions. McGee also played some wide receiver in college, and was an all district running back in high school. He can play FS, and he would be good.

Other players who made the transition:

Antrelle Rolle: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...1cards0522.html

Troy Vincent: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summa...86-18356372_ITM

McGee is talented, loyal, and doesn't demand a huge contract. He's a keeper.

What do you mean here? He won't get huge contract offers in 2010 or he will and wont take them to stay with the Bills?

Neither statement has any merit...why you ask...

1. He will get a BIG contract offer in FA

2. It wont be the Bills offering it

3. He will take the money and it may even be from a better team

Don't overvalue Greer. He's a decent player, but pretty much a dime-a-dozen solid player and very replaceable. It's not as if the Bills have a good pass defense or anything like that. There's a reason they drafted Reggie Corner. Plus Yobouty is still on the team. They have bigger needs than a nickel corner, which is what Greer will be next year if he stays. He's not as good as McGee (watch McGee against Braylon Edwards last year), and McKelvin is already more dynamic than him. A good defensive end/DT/pass rushing LB will do a lot more for the pass defense than the retention of a third corner.

Couldn't agree more.

What do you mean here? He won't get huge contract offers in 2010 or he will and wont take them to stay with the Bills?

Neither statement has any merit...why you ask...

1. He will get a BIG contract offer in FA

2. It wont be the Bills offering it

3. He will take the money and it may even be from a better team

You're missing the point of what I'm saying. If he DOES pan out at safety, and he ends up being the answer to a serious need for us... he would be worth whatever he costs. And I don't think it would be huge money. You don't let go of your best players, especially the one's that are team first, no complaints type of guys. Jason Peters is the exception. Loads of talent, but he's the opposite of McGee in character.

I have a feeling that the Bills will make no effort to sign Greer. I have not read that there has been any contact with his agent at any time. I don't think this is the right decision, but I predict Greer will not be re-signed and McKelvin will start in his place next year.

The Bills would be stupid not to make an attempt to get a deal done. The injury situation this year shows how quickly your depth at this position gets depleted. If Yoboty continued to play at the level hee was at for the whole season I could see where the Bills might let him walk. Problem is that Yoboty seems to get hit every year with the unlucky stick.

From day one of the offseason I've felt the Bills would be best served by signing Greer and keeping McGee but not re-signing him. This allows us to have depth and gives us options at CB as McKelvin continues his development. If Greer is sincere in that he would prefer to stay in Buffalo then he can certainly be had for a reasonable price. Sign him.

My choice:

McGee, Greer, McKelvin, Corner this year and Greer, McKelvin, Corner, (fill in the blank) in 2010 is better than McGee, McKelvin, Corner in 2009 and possibly McKelvin, Corner and scrubs in 2010....

.....Do you know that the last time the Bills selected a Guard below the 5th round was? 1995!!! ......

The Bills totally ignoring the interior OL positions has been appalling. Bringing in Dockery has been the only real attempt at getting some talent(it should never have gotten to that point in the first place).

To those that say....."Good teams build from the inside out." though, I respectfully disagree. IMO, good teams build with the total team in mind.......and not totally ignoring one aspect(ala interior OL).

We need to keep them both.

Yep you need 3 starting corners and there are those injuries that always seem to happen. I like the idea of an excellent player who actually wants to be a Bill that is what is missing for me in today's NFL. Team loyalty is worth a lot to me.

Regarding McGee moving to safety. Yes, he can do it. He played the position in college. He could step up like Whitner did in nickel situations and be better at it.

Good athletes can play many positions. McGee also played some wide receiver in college, and was an all district running back in high school. He can play FS, and he would be good.

Other players who made the transition:

Antrelle Rolle: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...1cards0522.html

Troy Vincent: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summa...86-18356372_ITM

eh, antrel rolle made the transition because he was a horrible CB. He was miscast when he was drafted (actually what I said his draft year) as a CB.

You're missing the point of what I'm saying. If he DOES pan out at safety, and he ends up being the answer to a serious need for us... he would be worth whatever he costs. And I don't think it would be huge money. You don't let go of your best players, especially the one's that are team first, no complaints type of guys. Jason Peters is the exception. Loads of talent, but he's the opposite of McGee in character.

Mcgee will want to test the Free agent Market as a corner not a free safety.

why?

$$$$

You could be right. I'm sure he's gone over it many times as well. My point is you shouldn't sum up a coachs career based on a few playcalls you didn't like. WTF? The man took his team to 4 SB's in a row and beat solid competition every year to get there. The Bills ran into a couple monsters in the big game. That team would have been a dynasty in alot of other eras. Sorry he didn't live up to Bill's standards.

Levy was great at keeping the players egos soothed. This is important on a team full of stars. I don't however think that he was this great football mind that many make him out to be. He had chances to win it all with a great team and it didn't happen. This doesn't make him a "bad" coach. It is what it is.

At the end, he was too old and spent games standing next to Mauch screaming incoherently at the refs. Even Ralph must have seen this and dumped him. As for his stint as GM, he was pretty bad but Ralph deserves most of the blame for bringing him back in the first place. It is a comedy of errors, so stupid that it is hard to believe.

Levy was great at keeping the players egos soothed. This is important on a team full of stars. I don't however think that he was this great football mind that many make him out to be. He had chances to win it all with a great team and it didn't happen. This doesn't make him a "bad" coach. It is what it is.

At the end, he was too old and spent games standing next to Mauch screaming incoherently at the refs. Even Ralph must have seen this and dumped him. As for his stint as GM, he was pretty bad but Ralph deserves most of the blame for bringing him back in the first place. It is a comedy of errors, so stupid that it is hard to believe.

You are downplaying Levy as a coach IMO, but that's alright you are entitled to your opinion as well. His second tenure with the Bills is certainly open for debate and well ralph is always going to be ralph. I have read alot of your posts over the last two years (read alot before posting). I always enjoy your post game breakdowns and share alot of the same opinions as you. The team is so jacked up in terms of philosophy it's just plain sad. The model should be easy to follow, do what the Steelers, Pats, and Ravens do and play like a northeast team. It is hard to believe that they can't even come close to that.