Team Donahoe vs. Team DJ/RB/ML

silvermike

Who do you think would win this matchup. In italics are replacement players for anyone picked up after Donahoe's 3rd season to make this fair, if you want.

Team Donahoe:

QB: Drew Bledsoe

RB: Travis Henry

FB: Larry Centers

WR: Lee Evans (Bobby Shaw), Josh Reed

OT: Jonas Jennings, Marcus Price

OG: Chris Villarreal (Ross Tucker), Marques Sullivan

C: Trey Teague

DE: Schobel, Ahanotou (Denney)

DT: Adams, Bannan

LB: Spikes, Fletcher, Crowell

CB: Clements, McGee

S: Milloy, Vincent (Prioleau)

HC: Gregg Williams

OC: Kevin Gilbride

DC: Dick LeBeau

------------

Team Recently:

QB: Trent Edwards

RB: Marshawn Lynch

FB: Corey McIntyre

WR: Peerless Price, Steve Johnson

TE: Robert Royal

OT: Jason Peters*, Langston Walker

OG: Derrick Dockery, Brad Butler

C: Melvin Fowler

DE: Anthony Hargrove, Copeland Bryan

DT: Marcus Stroud, Kyle Williams

LB: Paul Posluzny, Kawika Mitchell, John DiGorgio

CB: Leodis McKelvin, Ashton Youboty

S: Donte Whitner, Jim Leonhard.

HC: Dick Jauron

OC: Turk Schonert

DC: Perry Fewell

*Peters was picke up under Donahoe, but moved to LT with the new regime.

Any thoughts on a winner?

Well certainly the recent picks have a better offensive line. It's really not fair though for the TD regime to get all the credit for guys like Shobel, Evans etc. Those guys are still playing very well so there was no reason for current rigime to replace them. They should get some credit for keeping them. Conversely they should be faulted for letting any players go who went on to become stars elsewhere after current rigime cut them. You vould put Clements in that group, however I think it was wise move to let hime go for what he wanted. Also need to give the TD regime props or boo's for letting players go or keeping them from the JB years if they were bad or good respectively.

Bottom line I really don't think any fair way to make an assessment like this as you do need to consider if they kept the good ones or cut the bad ones, then it becomes very muddied.

With TDS team WE expecte playoffs, WE expected a suprbowl. With TDS team we had talent and Expectaions.

Post TD we HOPE for the playoffs, we DREAM of a Superbowl. Post TD barely has the talent to beat college teams and are aspirations are higher than our expectaions.

TDS team clearly the winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post creates an interesting thought TD was probably a better assessor of player talent but he fell down in two key areas:

1) Horrible coaching choices

2) got too cute on draft day

Yeah, I think he was really too clever by half. I think that's why they were successful in Pittsburgh when he was there - Cowher could keep him in check.

And for all the awful coaching choices, his OC and DC have won Super Bowls. Well, if you count LeBeau as a DC.

I will say this though: There were much better reasons to hire Gregg and Mularkey than Jauron.

The question I counter with is what team is better step up for the future? There are a lot of guys on TD's team that were on their last legs. The majority of guys on ML/ DJ's team are just entering their primes. I'd much rather have our current roster where the ceiling hasn't been reached.

Yeah, I think he was really too clever by half. I think that's why they were successful in Pittsburgh when he was there - Cowher could keep him in check.

And for all the awful coaching choices, his OC and DC have won Super Bowls. Well, if you count LeBeau as a DC.

I will say this though: There were much better reasons to hire Gregg and Mularkey than Jauron.

A major reason Jauron was hired was because of Gregg & Mularkey. They were 1st year coaches who sucked here. Jauron had a NFL job under his belt (not to mention a coach of the year). In his first 2 years, he did about as good of a job as any coach would have done with the roster and injuries. This year, the team under achieved. It will be interesting to see if this year with Trent in his 3rd season (and arguably the best QB Jauron has ever had, sad really) does.

This post creates an interesting thought TD was probably a better assessor of player talent but he fell down in two key areas:

1) Horrible coaching choices

2) got too cute on draft day

If he could have picked the right coach and drafted in the trenches we would have been much better. Did Donahoe pass on John Fox?

A major reason Jauron was hired was because of Gregg & Mularkey. They were 1st year coaches who sucked here. Jauron had a NFL job under his belt (not to mention a coach of the year). In his first 2 years, he did about as good of a job as any coach would have done with the roster and injuries. This year, the team under achieved. It will be interesting to see if this year with Trent in his 3rd season (and arguably the best QB Jauron has ever had, sad really) does.

in order to underachieve his team has to bee good enough to achieve. Team isnt that good and dont let the 5-1 record taint your thought process. This team doesnt know how to win or even how to win aginst teams that are above .500 and certainly dont know how to win aginst playoff teams and have never won in the last three seaons against the pats.

Who do you think would win this matchup. In italics are replacement players for anyone picked up after Donahoe's 3rd season to make this fair, if you want.

Team Donahoe:

QB: Drew Bledsoe

RB: Travis Henry

FB: Larry Centers

WR: Lee Evans (Bobby Shaw), Josh Reed

OT: Jonas Jennings, Marcus Price

OG: Chris Villarreal (Ross Tucker), Marques Sullivan

C: Trey Teague

DE: Schobel, Ahanotou (Denney)

DT: Adams, Bannan

LB: Spikes, Fletcher, Crowell

CB: Clements, McGee

S: Milloy, Vincent (Prioleau)

HC: Gregg Williams

OC: Kevin Gilbride

DC: Dick LeBeau

------------

Team Recently:

QB: Trent Edwards

RB: Marshawn Lynch

FB: Corey McIntyre

WR: Peerless Price, Steve Johnson

TE: Robert Royal

OT: Jason Peters*, Langston Walker

OG: Derrick Dockery, Brad Butler

C: Melvin Fowler

DE: Anthony Hargrove, Copeland Bryan

DT: Marcus Stroud, Kyle Williams

LB: Paul Posluzny, Kawika Mitchell, John DiGorgio

CB: Leodis McKelvin, Ashton Youboty

S: Donte Whitner, Jim Leonhard.

HC: Dick Jauron

OC: Turk Schonert

DC: Perry Fewell

*Peters was picke up under Donahoe, but moved to LT with the new regime.

really doesn't matter. the issue is poor ownership. what does it prove to compare two incompetent regimes?

I highly doubt you can give credit to Cowher for that. It is more about the organization as a whole and the owners in particular.

Anyway, to answer the question posed, I too think TD's team would win. Which is kinda sad after our prevalent perception that we are far better off with the direction of this team. Reasons I think that team would win - better defense and great DC.

If Mike Williams comes through, TD is still here and all is well. Bad break.

I don't agree with that perception. Yes TD blew that pick badly. However, if MW had panned out, we would have been better on O but it would not have spelled the difference between the sorry record we had compared to being a playoff team. In its entirety, his mistakes were picking MW, picking McGahee when we had other pressing needs, picking bad HCs and not retaining Lebeau.