Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

Found on another board...

The statue could be Tawaret. Tawaret was a goddess who protected women during pregnancy and childbirth.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1723/tawaret.jpg

I've seen a few people posit guesses which it is based on traditional depictions in drawings/statues/etc.... We haven't seen the front yet, but that looks to be the closest fit. The others either had staffs where the statue seemed to be holding two ankhs, different hats / headresses, or slightly off physical appearance with ears or hair.

In addition to the "full frontal" view, we have also to learn what destroyed it and when (and to what effect).

My thoughts with 'conception and delivery on the island' (we have seen Claire and Sun who've done one or the other, but not both parts of pregnancy) are that something with the Lostaways-turned-DIs may do (see: Juliet) will cause the problem that she will later be brought in by the Others to solve.

I love the Jack=Jacob theory. I mentioned it to my wife last night, and she recalled a comment by one of The Others long ago that "Jack isn't on Jacob's list". I don't recall that quote/episode/situation at all, but that comment lends credence to the theory.

I don't specifically remember a quote like that either. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, (if it did, it was likely in S3), but I don't remember hearing anything about how Jack is not 'supposed' to be on the island. And even if this has been said, by logic, you could say that Jack isn't on Jacob's list b/c he is Jacob.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't specifically remember a quote like that either. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, (if it did, it was likely in S3), but I don't remember hearing anything about how Jack is not 'supposed' to be on the island. And even if this has been said, by logic, you could say that Jack isn't on Jacob's list b/c he is Jacob.

Yes, that was her conclusion too. And I bow :wallbash: to your astute guess of when the quote might have happened. My wife was late to join the Cult of Lost, and has been catching up on the early seasons via Netflix... and she just finished watching S3!

Humm....

"Thoth served as a mediating power, especially between good and evil, making sure neither had a decisive victory over the other....In the underworld, Duat, he appeared as...the god of equilibrium."

"...Displaying his role as arbitrator, he had overseen the three epic battles between good and evil. All three battles are fundamentally the same and belong to different periods. The first battle took place between Ra and Apep, the second between Heru-Bekhutet and Set, and the third between Horus, the son of Osiris, and Set. In each instance, the former god represented order while the latter represented chaos. If one god was seriously injured, Thoth would heal them to prevent either from overtaking the other."

Humm....

"Thoth served as a mediating power, especially between good and evil, making sure neither had a decisive victory over the other....In the underworld, Duat, he appeared as...the god of equilibrium."

"...Displaying his role as arbitrator, he had overseen the three epic battles between good and evil. All three battles are fundamentally the same and belong to different periods. The first battle took place between Ra and Apep, the second between Heru-Bekhutet and Set, and the third between Horus, the son of Osiris, and Set. In each instance, the former god represented order while the latter represented chaos. If one god was seriously injured, Thoth would heal them to prevent either from overtaking the other."

Makes my Widmore (God) vs Ben (Devil) make more and more sense. Though the question is who be Toth possibly Richard and/or Jacob? and anyone have any screen captures of the hieroglyphs to see if they make any mention of Toth or any of the other mentioned Egyptian gods?

Is anyone forgetting that Kate gave up Aaron?

Nope.

Humm....

If I had to pick someone out as an arbitrator, I'd go with Eloise Hawking. As I wrote upthread, her role in the lighthouse seems to be to get everyone to where they need to be. Widmore knows her / has her address and some speculate that she is Penny's mother, in addition to Daniel (whom Widmore financed). At the same time, she worked with Ben to set him and the O6 up with a ride back to the island (tho, she did make some commentary on his character). She's kind of like a Time Cop, if you will.

Makes my Widmore (God) vs Ben (Devil) make more and more sense. Though the question is who be Toth possibly Richard and/or Jacob? and anyone have any screen captures of the hieroglyphs to see if they make any mention of Toth or any of the other mentioned Egyptian gods?

The glyphs we have seen (on the Temple wall) don't say much of anything.

Nope.

If I had to pick someone out as an arbitrator, I'd go with Eloise Hawking. As I wrote upthread, her role in the lighthouse seems to be to get everyone to where they need to be. Widmore knows her / has her address and some speculate that she is Penny's mother, in addition to Daniel (whom Widmore financed). At the same time, she worked with Ben to set him and the O6 up with a ride back to the island (tho, she did make some commentary on his character). She's kind of like a Time Cop, if you will.

The glyphs we have seen (on the Temple wall) don't say much of anything.

and the glyphs when Locke failed to press the button I assume say nothing as well?

and the glyphs when Locke failed to press the button I assume say nothing as well?

IIRC, those ones said, "Death." Which would seem to go along with Charlotte's "This place is death!" don't you know.

The glyphs on the Temple were scattered around, not in any real order. I'll have to check into it again, tho.

This is about the best link I'm coming up with for the Temple glyphs.

Doesn't appear to be anything really definitive on what goes on in there, just some nebulous terms. But among the translations, the one by "breasts malone" is interesting...

Bottom right: Lift up.

I would like to think that the phrase to the left of this is ‘have to’ or ‘must’ as in ‘you have to lift it up but I can’t confirm this at the moment as I can’t find the right book!

With the "lift up" phrase similar to what Desmond said to Jack at their meeting in the stadium:

Des: You have to lift it up

Jack: What?

Des: Your foot. You have to lift it up. ... I'll see you in another life, brother.

Des's ubiquitous phrase is not for nothing. And neither are certain other phrases that have resonance to the main characters. Many times it's kind of like Des after he turned the key; it's their first time either in replay or having a 'constant'-like experience of knowing in the past what happens in the future... but they just don't realize that it is a replay or a memory (of something that hasn't happened yet).

And BTW.... I had three discrete-event nosebleeds today. Would anybody here mind being my constant? :thumbdown:

I don't know, in the past they've done the 2 part season finale but the last episode being 2 hours, or 1 hour 20 minutes on DVD. Also, they're airing a rerun this week and another week, I think April 22nd? The reason they're doing this is because they jumped the gun with the 2 episode premiere. COME ON LINDELHOF!

what does that even mean?? 4 two hour episodes to end the season or......?

It means that soon, TV shows aren't going to have "seasons" anymore. You're going to get a 2 part season premiere followed by a 22 part season finale.

Just wanted to again give some props to Josh Holloway on this ep.

Glad that the producers/writers pulled the Sawyer character out of the "Son of a B word!" rut that he had been in up to this point in S5. Literally, I think there were a couple of eps where a string of those were his only lines. Finally, Sawyer had to be the leader and make decisions. And he did. Kept people from leaving, kept them from giving up hope of Locke/O6 coming back, kept the con going for the 3 years.

I'm thinking back to the ep where Hurley conned him into acting as a leader rather than a hoarding a-hole by threatening him with word of the secret banishment vote. Kind of came into fruition here.

But, he's also kind of fallen back into the con himself, to an extent.