Why Gruden was fired...

Alphadawg7

The owners interviewed their PLAYERS and the players said they don't trust Gruden and do not think they can win with him. Gruden was so blindsided that he just hired a coordinator FROM THE LIONS (what an idiot) 2 hours before he got canned...

Gruden did nothing but ruin a powerhouse, lose his players, and run the best players out of town in TB...

Losing record over his last 6 seasons

Players don't like him or trust him and voted him out

Only had back to back winning seasons once in 7 years (this year and last year, and missed playoffs this year)

9-3 then loses 4 straight, including last one against Raiders where a win gets him in playoffs, to miss playoffs

Give him lots of personnel power when they hire him...wind up with terrible drafts and poor Free Agencies

Never developed a QB in Oakland or TB

Mismanaged his QB's worse than Buffalos handling of JP

Yet, everyone is clamoring for this overrated guy...lmao...

...on the cheap. <_<

He might have a hard time finding a job in the next 2 seasons...most jobs are filled already or close to being filled and in 2010 he will have to contend with having Cowher, Holmgren, Shannahan and maybe even Dungy to get a job. Not to mention there are still some coordinators that will surface as candidates as they always do, and there are other potential coaches that might also become front runners for jobs if they seek them like Mariucci, Fassel, and maybe even Marty.

His players didnt like em, and they voted him out and even some of his former players are taking pleasure in his firing...

That can't bode well in a job search. Plus, there likely wont be many job openings in 2010, at least compared to the turnover we had this year.

Dungy will not be back. He had the perfect situation other than location in Indianapolis.

I suspect you might be right, but he is still young enough that I dont know if he can stay away. We will see, but you very well could be right and we may never see him coach again or even sit several years.

Could be similar to Jimmy Johnson...plenty of coaching left in him too, but he stayed away. I wonder if teams ever call him during their coaching searches each year to see if he has any interest in considering getting back into coaching...

I mean are we just trying to be a contrarian because it's fun or what?

"Never developed a QB" - yah Gannon was a stud before he took over Oakland.

"What the players said" - yawn - the players in St. Louis petitioned to bring Haslett back after going 2-10; and we know how our players feel about Dick.

9-7 is 9-7 whether you start 9-3 or 5-7. They are probably the least talented team in the division and if you want to argue that is his fault fine; that doesn't mean they're better off without him as opposed to retaining him & delegating personnel to somebody else.

It's also the same people in charge who inexplicably gave up 1,000 draft picks to get him in the first place instead of Dungy; so it's not the first time they've screwed up a hiring/firing.

Interesting quote:

But Callahan soon revealed that he was Barry Switzer Lite, taking a team to the Super Bowl on another coach's fumes, and the Raiders descended into a tedious brand of chaos.

It could also have said:

But Gruden soon revealed that he was Tony Dungy Lite, taking a team to the Super Bowl on another coach's fumes using knowledge of the Raiders and then after Superbowl descending into medocracy.

The owners interviewed their PLAYERS and the players said they don't trust Gruden and do not think they can win with him. Gruden was so blindsided that he just hired a coordinator FROM THE LIONS (what an idiot) 2 hours before he got canned...

Gruden did nothing but ruin a powerhouse, lose his players, and run the best players out of town in TB...

Only had back to back winning seasons once in 7 years (this year and last year, and missed playoffs this year)

9-3 then loses 4 straight, including last one against Raiders where a win gets him in playoffs, to miss playoffs

Give him lots of personnel power when they hire him...wind up with terrible drafts and poor Free Agencies

Uh wait a minute. Lets not forget that Gruden did what Dungy could'nt in Tampa...win a superbowl!

Uh wait a minute. Lets not forget that Gruden did what Dungy could'nt in Tampa...win a superbowl!

Thats speculation to say that Dungy wouldnt have also won the Superbowl that same year if he coached the Bucs instead of Gruden that year. Gruden gets too much credit for that win...Mularkey could have coached that team that year and still had a shot at SB...that D was sick and the offense was solid.

Thats speculation to say that Dungy wouldnt have also won the Superbowl that same year if he coached the Bucs instead of Gruden that year. Gruden gets too much credit for that win...Mularkey could have coached that team that year and still had a shot at SB...that D was sick and the offense was solid.

As someone who has always defended Schottenheimer, I don't really believe in "clutch coaching" myself. But it is a lot of hindsight to say the offense was solid. Their OL/RB combo was maybe the worst of all-time for a SB winner and Brad Johnson while solid, certainly wasn't the greatest QB to compensate for that. They were destroyed @Philly the two previous years.

Gruden will be in NY soon, unfortunatly it wont be with the bills! Living in Tampa, about 2 Mins from Raymond James Stadium, I must say that all the "Real" Bucs fans wanted to see him go, all the poser Tampa Fans adored him because he looked like Chucky! Sorry to say, but he didn't know how to "Build" a Team! Unfortunatly in the past 8 years, Buffalo has been a breeding ground for good players, but they move onto other teams after 4 years with the franchise. The Bucs need new talent, the Bills need a good coaching and some luck. Hopefully this year will be "Simple Dick's" Kick in the Ass!

Wow. Pretty eye-opening stuff. I hadn't followed him closely since he left the Raiders. I had always liked him when he was here in Oakland,thought Al Davis made a mistake in letting him get away. The W-L record really surprises me,I always thought of him as a winning coach. If Jauron flops again next year I would still consider him but be very cautious.

Exciting news - the inmates run the asylum known as the Tampa Bay Buccanears. Mark this, that team will be a medicore team like the Bills for years. Chuckie is a good coach - todays players are whinney little b-tches... They shoulld fear their coach.... I am not saying this appraoch is applicable in all business, but the NFL andmost major sports - damn straight.

He might have a hard time finding a job in the next 2 seasons...most jobs are filled already or close to being filled and in 2010 he will have to contend with having Cowher, Holmgren, Shannahan and maybe even Dungy to get a job. Not to mention there are still some coordinators that will surface as candidates as they always do, and there are other potential coaches that might also become front runners for jobs if they seek them like Mariucci, Fassel, and maybe even Marty.

His players didnt like em, and they voted him out and even some of his former players are taking pleasure in his firing...

That can't bode well in a job search. Plus, there likely wont be many job openings in 2010, at least compared to the turnover we had this year.

keyshawn johnson said that gruden is nothing more than a used car salesman

first - people tend to forget that not only was Gruden Oakland's hc he was also the "actual oc". Oakland was still running his offensive concept, so he had to be peeing his pants in excitement at the opportunity to claim a guaranteed sb after inheriting the most feared defense in the league.

second - he was NOT a very good hc: the big complaint here was that he never kept his word or promises that he made to the players and he was too controlling and condescending, among other things.

third - it would be interesting to see him in Buffalo as an oc -- ONLY if he agrees on formulating a system that highlights the talent on the field rather than his smarts. i believe that would work. i know only in my dreams.

Could they be clamoring because he coached a Super Bowl win for the Bucs? You know, a Super Bowl WIN? The one thing Dungy could not get his players to do?

What about Jauron? Could he have won it that year in Tampa?

Exciting news - the inmates run the asylum known as the Tampa Bay Buccanears. Mark this, that team will be a medicore team like the Bills for years. Chuckie is a good coach - todays players are whinney little b-tches... They shoulld fear their coach.... I am not saying this appraoch is applicable in all business, but the NFL andmost major sports - damn straight.

It depends on whether that coaching style works or not. If it worked all the time, then every team in the league would have a bad a*s disciplinarian as the HC. The two teams in this year's superbowl have coaches that can be disciplinarians.....when the situation calls for it. But they can also be friendly with their players....when the situation calls for it.

Today's NFL players may be whiny little b*tches, but they're also very wealthy little b*tches who have a lot of influence.

The "Art Donovan" days are gone. So the key is getting the players to buy into the coaching philosophy. It seems to me that today's successful head coaches have to be pretty good at psychology and motivation.

The two SB coaches are young, not much older than their players. They're also backed up by good solid GM's and assistant coaches.

The concept of owners listening to what the players have to say about a coach is indeed startling. Think of Tom Coughlin and the NY Giants players who complained about how tough his training camps and were, he was almost fired in NY because the players complained so much, then they go on to win a SB. The guy was a tough disciplinarian and the players didn't like it so they bitched and cried to to media. Think of Bill Parcells and how tough and no nonsense he is and then look at his record.

There is a reason players want a head coach like Dick Jauron.... Hey,I wouldn't mind getting paid millions while playing for a joke and taking it easy either.

When Dick Vermeil took over the St Louis Rams in 1997 the Rams players hated the guy and his extremely tough training camps and practices. All the players complained that the 3 hour practices were too long,so Vermeil condensed the 3 hours into 2 hours and ran the same number of plays in 2 hours instead of 3,which made it tougher on the players :blush:

The Rams players stopped complaining about Vermeil and his tough,no nonsense tactics when they reached the playoffs and went to the super bowl.

Time will tell if the Buc's made the right move,but letting players decide who they want to play for is simply foolish IMHO.

The concept of owners listening to what the players have to say about a coach is indeed startling. Think of Tom Coughlin and the NY Giants players who complained about how tough his training camps and were, he was almost fired in NY because the players complained so much, then they go on to win a SB. The guy was a tough disciplinarian and the players didn't like it so they bitched and cried to to media. Think of Bill Parcells and how tough and no nonsense he is and then look at his record.

There is a reason players want a head coach like Dick Jauron.... Hey,I wouldn't mind getting paid millions while playing for a joke and taking it easy either.

When Dick Vermeil took over the St Louis Rams in 1997 the Rams players hated the guy and his extremely tough training camps and practices. All the players complained that the 3 hour practices were too long,so Vermeil condensed the 3 hours into 2 hours and ran the same number of plays in 2 hours instead of 3,which made it tougher on the players :blush:

The Rams players stopped complaining about Vermeil and his tough,no nonsense tactics when they reached the playoffs and went to the super bowl.

Time will tell if the Buc's made the right move,but letting players decide who they want to play for is simply foolish IMHO.

You make a good point about players deciding coaches fates except in this case you have to look at the specific criticisms of Gruden.

The players are not complaining that he was too tough on them.

Over and over, and this goes back to Oakland, players allege that he was dishonest and a phony. He'd say one thing and then do another. He didn't have the players' respect. Personally I always thought his tough guy, contorted face act was ridiculous. I always felt the guy was a "put on"...I feel the same way about Brian Billick and Mike Nolan, disingenuous people who care more about crafting a media image than being straight forward.

You make a good point about players deciding coaches fates except in this case you have to look at the specific criticisms of Gruden.

The players are not complaining that he was too tough on them.

Over and over, and this goes back to Oakland, players allege that he was dishonest and a phony. He'd say one thing and then do another. He didn't have the players' respect. Personally I always thought his tough guy, contorted face act was ridiculous. I always felt the guy was a "put on"...I feel the same way about Brian Billick and Mike Nolan, disingenuous people who care more about crafting a media image than being straight forward.

All things aside do you realize exactly what killed the Buc's season this year? It wasn't Gruden or his facial expressions.

It was the fact that with 5 games left in the season his defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin made the announcement that he was leaving Tampa to be the DC for the Tenn Vols working under his son,Lane Kiffin. That was the absolute wrong time to make that announcement, the defense went from being really good to really really bad.That Mon night game against Carolina in week 14 in which that vaunted Kiffin Tampa 2 gave up 299 yards rushing to the Panthers showed me that a lame duck coach is worthless.

Gruden should have fired Kiffin right after he made the announcement he was leaving and promoted Morris at that time. Gruden would most likely still be the head coach and the Buc's would have made the playoffs IMO

All things aside do you realize exactly what killed the Buc's season this year? It wasn't Gruden or his facial expressions.

It was the fact that with 5 games left in the season his defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin made the announcement that he was leaving Tampa to be the DC for the Tenn Vols working under his son,Lane Kiffin. That was the absolute wrong time to make that announcement, the defense went from being really good to really really bad.That Mon night game against Carolina in week 14 in which that vaunted Kiffin Tampa 2 gave up 299 yards rushing to the Panthers showed me that a lame duck coach is worthless.

Gruden should have fired Kiffin right after he made the announcement he was leaving and promoted Morris at that time. Gruden would most likely still be the head coach and the Buc's would have made the playoffs IMO

In the story I read and interview I saw with Monte Kiffin, he said he was torn about whether to disclose his decision to leave the team. There was already lots of speculation after Lane got the Tennessee job and ultimately Monte decided it was best to announce it rather than let the speculation continue to brew. I believe he consulted with Gruden before going public with the news.

I agree with you about lame-duck coaches for the most part. All things equal it makes their jobs tougher. Holmgren's season I think was partly ruined due to his impending retirement. Dungy and the Colts not so much although it wasn't clear that he was retiring after the season.

When Dick Vermeil took over the St Louis Rams in 1997 the Rams players hated the guy and his extremely tough training camps and practices. All the players complained that the 3 hour practices were too long,so Vermeil condensed the 3 hours into 2 hours and ran the same number of plays in 2 hours instead of 3,which made it tougher on the players :huh:

There is a BIG difference in players complaining about how hard training camp is and players flat out NOT TRUSTING the coach and believing they can win with him. What Bucs players have said, past and present, is that Gruden has lost them. I don't care if the HC is Bill Walsh, if the players do not buy into him and trust what he is doing he will never lead them anywhere.

In NY, the players complained about intensity and the rules, but they also respected the coach and bought into his system as time moved on. There was an adjustment period, but they adapted. Gruden had been in TB for 7 years...he lost the players, constantly mismanaged his QB, RB, and WR's on that team, would say one thing than do another, etc, etc. It's not like he was new in TB, he had been there 7 years and wore out his welcome and lost the trust of his team. That is, and always will be, the death of a HC at any level of coaching...losing the trust of your players.

Your FAR more overrated as a Poster than Gruden is as a Head Coach... :huh:

Your FAR more overrated as a Poster than Gruden is as a Head Coach... :huh:

With continuous posts like this I can't even refer to you as a Poster, more like a Poser

I would bash your lame post more, however, with your capabilities as a poster I understand thats about the level of quality your football intellect will allow you to post, so I will go easy on you. :huh:

Yes he could have, and to say otherwise would be ignorant given the talent level of the Bucs...

No way does dick jauron win anything in tampa. If DJ led that Buccs team, they fold like a lawn chair against the iggles in the NFC championship.

With continuous posts like this I can't even refer to you as a Poster, more like a Poser

I would bash your lame post more, however, with your capabilities as a poster I understand thats about the level of quality your football intellect will allow you to post, so I will go easy on you. :huh:

Still more profound wisdom from the 'Walter Mitty of TSW' :huh: hahahaha

The Bucs lost because Kiffin wasn't around. If he'd been fired, he wouldn't have been around either, and they still would have lost. And Gruden still would have been fired.

I think that Kiffin decided to leave the Bucs because he couldn't stand Gruden. What I want to know is, had he known that Gruden would get fired, would he have stayed and possibly been promoted to HC? Or was he told that Gruden wouldn't be back, but that he wasn't a HC'ing candidate anyway?