Julius Peppers wants out

Hey Fellas, this is fresh from Pro Football Talk at 12:15 a.m. Saturday morning:

"At a time when the Carolina Panthers would be required to tender a $17 million one-year salary to defensive end Julius Peppers in order to keep his rights via the franchise tag, Peppers is making it known that he doesn’t want to remain with the team.

“The front office has been informed of my desire to explore opportunities with other NFL teams following the expiration of my contract next month,” Peppers said in a statement e-mailed by his agent to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, and possibly others. “At this point in my NFL career, I am seeking new challenges that will allow me to grow, develop and reach my personal potential on the football field.

“I strongly feel that making a move at this time is in my best interest. I appreciate the entire Panthers organization and am thankful for the seven seasons I’ve spent with the team.”

“Julius is firm in his decision that he needs a change,” agent Carl Carey said, per Mortensen. “He feels that he can thrive in another system. While he has been selected to four Pro Bowls and designated as an All-Pro during his career, he feels that he has yet to develop to his full potential. This is the case of a great player who seeks to become an elite one.”

Peppers is a North Carolina native, and he played college football at the University of North Carolina. So by turning his back on the Panthers, he’s essentially turning his back on his home state."

Peppers sees that time could be running out, and while the Panthers played very good this year, they still seem to keep coming up short on getting that Super Bowl championship.

Peppers will get a giant contract and could become a great addition to a playoff contender.

Yet I would'nt get my hopes up on the Bills signing him nor do I think that Peppers would want to to play for the Bills.

Hey Fellas, this is fresh from Pro Football Talk at 12:15 a.m. Saturday morning:

"At a time when the Carolina Panthers would be required to tender a $17 million one-year salary to defensive end Julius Peppers in order to keep his rights via the franchise tag, Peppers is making it known that he doesn’t want to remain with the team.

“The front office has been informed of my desire to explore opportunities with other NFL teams following the expiration of my contract next month,” Peppers said in a statement e-mailed by his agent to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, and possibly others. “At this point in my NFL career, I am seeking new challenges that will allow me to grow, develop and reach my personal potential on the football field.

“I strongly feel that making a move at this time is in my best interest. I appreciate the entire Panthers organization and am thankful for the seven seasons I’ve spent with the team.”

“Julius is firm in his decision that he needs a change,” agent Carl Carey said, per Mortensen. “He feels that he can thrive in another system. While he has been selected to four Pro Bowls and designated as an All-Pro during his career, he feels that he has yet to develop to his full potential. This is the case of a great player who seeks to become an elite one.”

Peppers is a North Carolina native, and he played college football at the University of North Carolina. So by turning his back on the Panthers, he’s essentially turning his back on his home state."

It's couched in PR-speak, so you probably can't believe most of it. But if even a fraction is true, can you see Peppers saying to himself "Let's see, where can I go from one of the top teams in football to further develop myself from greatness to elite status. Wait, I know, I'll go to Buffalo." I just can't see that happening.

If we dump a ludicrous contract on a player while retaining Jauron as coach it might only serve to further infuriate me. Why pay $10 million a year for a top tier player when for as much or less we could potentially acquire an elite coach.

Not that I won't rejoice if we sign Peppers or some other elite player. I most certainly will. Personally I don't understand the justification for doing so. I think if we throw money around it'll be on more than one individual. However if we do something stupid like pay Greer 5mil annually I will throw up.

It's couched in PR-speak, so you probably can't believe most of it. But if even a fraction is true, can you see Peppers saying to himself "Let's see, where can I go from one of the top teams in football to further develop myself from greatness to elite status. Wait, I know, I'll go to Buffalo." I just can't see that happening.

Cowboys, Washington, Jets, Giants

he's a bit foolish

if he gets franchised again this year he'll pocket a cool 18M and the big signing bonus will still be waiting on the other side of that deal..........walter jones did it right, collecting the big F-tag number 3 years in a row before cashing in with a big signing bonus

He'll play anywhere, money talks. I have been thinking for a while that he would be just the kind of big name splash pickup. If the Bills were seriously going to dump a ridiculous contract on someone (remember, PR issues), you couldn't do much better than Peppers.

you are smoking crack. Even if cheapo Ralph breaks the bank for Peppers, several teams will match whatever outrageous number that is and then the decision comes down to "do I really want to be in Buffalo f'ing New York for the rest of my career with a lame duck coaching staff, a 2nd tier organization and a near death owner?" ahhhh, nope.

Lets stop fooling ourselves. Please. this isn't a fantasy football draft. Go get another Stroud or Mitchell and thank goodness they were willing to actually come to the place....

you are smoking crack. Even if cheapo Ralph breaks the bank for Peppers, several teams will match whatever outrageous number that is and then the decision comes down to "do I really want to be in Buffalo f'ing New York for the rest of my career with a lame duck coaching staff, a 2nd tier organization and a near death owner?" ahhhh, nope.

Lets stop fooling ourselves. Please. this isn't a fantasy football draft. Go get another Stroud or Mitchell and thank goodness they were willing to actually come to the place....

Most realistic post of this thread.

There is no way that the Bills sign any top tier free agents this season.

I have no idea what Peppers means or wants. He wants to go someplace where he can develop to his full potential, yet in Carolina he's been a perennial pro-bowler on one of the best defenses in the league?

I think this is just posturing to avoid the tag and get a long-term deal, most likely from Carolina.

RALPH PLEASE GET THIS DONE SOMEHOW!!!!!

I live in the Carolina's and have seen him play and he is no Bruce Smith, takes plays off etc, there is no way this team can afford a guy like that, and secondly as other posters have noted, I can not see any top free agent even considering this team. I look at Tony Gonzalez and I still can not understand why he did not want to come to Buffalo...at that time they were 4-0 or 5-1, players talk and there must be a reason why he held firm on not going to the Bills, and unfortunately I think that is going to be a sign of things to come.

I also think the Bills need only to look at the hated Dolphins and the way they did things...through the draft, trade Peters and get 1 or 2 draft picks + a starter, of course the stellar personelle dept needs to hit on those draft picks

Yeah, bottom line I also believe that he wants a long term contract and the security it brings. I agree with Thurman#1 and JR in A2, this is mostly posturing for his last big contract, likely with Carolina.

Disagree with D Wag, Walter Jones did not do it right. He took a huge risk but it ended up working out because he didn't get injured. Jones was tagged 3 years in a row and had he gotten injured in any of those years he wouldn't have the long term contact he has now. This is the very reason players don't want to get franchised. They are only guaranteed of getting the big money for one year. With the multi-year contract, even though the annual salary is not guaranteed, they get a huge signing bonus which is. Lots of players try to make a gentleman's agreement with the team where they'll play only one year franchised and the team will not franchise them the next year.

Nevertheless, it is sort of a win-win situation for him. Even if he gets the $17 million for one year and never plays another down in his life.

One place he assuredly won't go is Washington. They recently laid off 20 employees and Vinnie Ceratto has stated that they will not be a player in free agency. Many years of overspending on free agents (this goes back to Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith) culminating with the Jason Taylor signing last year have left them with no cap room and a bad balance sheet.

He also won't be going to the Jets. They are projected to be over the cap in 2009 and threw stupid money at Favre, Faneca, Woody, Pace, Jenkins and others with terrible results.

I don't see him going to the Giants either. They have Osi coming back next year and were effective rushing the quarterback even without him and without Strahan who retired. They're already a great pass rushing team and they are usually not a player in free agency.

I don't know where he would go but I would say he's about 50/50 to leave Carolina.

And 8and8Forever is right. I often post my feelings that players/coaches will come to Buffalo, but only if the Bills' offer is clearly the best on the table. If it's a toss-up, we lose.

Talented people will come here if we happen to outbid other teams but they look at the quality of the owner, the team, the weather, endorsement potential, chances of success, etc.

That said, the Bills have 53,000 pissed off season ticket holders and millions of pissed off fans who can't believe we didn't fire the coach. The Bills are celebrating their 50th Anniversary in 2009 so whether or not they succeed, I believe the Bills feel that they have to try to make a big marketing/PR splash in terms of player talent this offseason.

I look at Tony Gonzalez and I still can not understand why he did not want to come to Buffalo...at that time they were 4-0 or 5-1, players talk and there must be a reason why he held firm on not going to the Bills, and unfortunately I think that is going to be a sign of things to come.

Well, if you were in his shoes, what chances do you think there would be that the Bills would commit a nice new contract to you versus letting you play it out and giving you a warm handshake (or just dumping you before they had to pay out the next bonus)? How many playoff victories have the Bills had this decade?

This now gives me that every-small glimmer of hope that we might sign this man (I know, I know).

I think there's a small chance he could come here by way of the chance to play next to Stroud as a selling point. But I don't see Ralph opening the cheque book for him. :blink::wallbash:

But Peppers said he wants to play in a 3-4 scheme. Weird that he would want to switch positions at this stage in his career. I suppose he saw what DeMarcus Ware did this year and wants similar number.

I got a steak dinner that says ole Pepps is a Dallas Cowboy next year.

Jerry Jones WILL get it done........................with the cap money he has from cutting T.O. :wallbash:

Him and Ware would be a nasty 1-2 punch. I'd almost feel sorry for Donovan, Eli, and Jason because they have to see them twice a year..

I've recently heard former Panther Brenson Buckner on the radio here in Charlotte. He was calling him soft and a basketball player, playing football. He doesn't have the mentality to dominate the way he should with his athletic ability. Fans are mixed on whether to pay him a huge contract because he can disappears against physical teams.

Just thought I'd let you know what's going on down here in Panther land.

I've recently heard former Panther Brenson Buckner on the radio here in Charlotte. He was calling him soft and a basketball player, playing football. He doesn't have the mentality to dominate the way he should with his athletic ability. Fans are mixed on whether to pay him a huge contract because he can disappears against physical teams.

Seems a bit overrated to me. Not worth the ridiculous price tag of $17 million.

He's probably caught alot of flak over this behind the scenes and it's one of the reasons he wants out. It wouldn't be surprising. Or, this could be the tactic they are trying to use to keep his contract #'s down in a way. The guy probably could go play PF for alot of teams in the NBA right now if he wanted to. Whatever the truth is, he would be an upgrade over what we already have FOR SURE. The money it would take to get him wouldn't be worth the player though if he doesn't give his full effort. It also could be a situation of him just being tired of Carolina and the fresh start elsewhere could equal HUGE numbers again.

Peppers for Matt Cassel ............ Both tagged and traded for each other.

This way Peppers gets a top chance to win a SB with a 3-4 team that can certainly scheme him in the most effective way to maximize his immense talent and skills

Panthers aren't going to keep Delhomme (he's due to count $12 milliin on the cap) and he's not very good so they get a top QB who is young and who has plenty of upside.

Pats get top return for Cassel and add a stud player who can be their new Willie McGinest.

It would be awesome to make Peppers our number one offseason target but it is unlikely to happen. To have another type of player who would be outstanding on the DE position as we know would be a tremendous difference to the defense.

This way Peppers gets a top chance to win a SB with a 3-4 team that can certainly scheme him in the most effective way to maximize his immense talent and skills

Panthers aren't going to keep Delhomme (he's due to count $12 milliin on the cap) and he's not very good so they get a top QB who is young and who has plenty of upside.

Pats get top return for Cassel and add a stud player who can be their new Willie McGinest.

Not gonna happen. Cassell is their security blanket in case Brady can't return and early reports are he is likely out in '09. They say he needs an additional surgery because he's really not healing properly. They say if he plays next season he's more prone to be hurt again than before and will have to wear a brace. Then he's going to have to get the additional surgery next offseason. Brady may never be the same again and his career might possibly be over. How ironic it would be if this is the case considering how he got his opportunity when Bledsoe went down.

Cassel isn't a top QB. And unless Moss is packaged with him, no way do the Panthers even entertain that deal.

I live in the Carolina's and have seen him play and he is no Bruce Smith

Me too and I agree. He would only be a slight upgrade over Aaron Schobel. What the Bills really need is a stronger LEFT end and maybe and outside linebacker to balance the pass rush. I think that Peppers is a solid player, but I don't think that he's worth the money that he will demand.

It's really frustrating that people, myself included, would love to have Peppers but feel it will be impossible to sign him. I ask, why? If money is a huge factor in deciding where to play, why can't old Ralph just pay for some players. We never get ANYONE of value in free agency. No big names or playmakers. Year after year after year.

It's really frustrating that people, myself included, would love to have Peppers but feel it will be impossible to sign him. I ask, why? If money is a huge factor in deciding where to play, why can't old Ralph just pay for some players. We never get ANYONE of value in free agency. No big names or playmakers. Year after year after year.

It's not only money, but he reportedly wants to play in a 3-4. And after living and playing in Carolina all of his life, I doubt he'd want to play in Buffalo. Add in state taxes...

Peppers sees that time could be running out, and while the Panthers played very good this year, they still seem to keep coming up short on getting that Super Bowl championship.

Peppers will get a giant contract and could become a great addition to a playoff contender.

Yet I would'nt get my hopes up on the Bills signing him nor do I think that Peppers would want to to play for the Bills.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

I really can't see Peppers wanting to come to the Bills under any circumstance.

It's not only money, but he reportedly wants to play in a 3-4. And after living and playing in Carolina all of his life, I doubt he'd want to play in Buffalo. Add in state taxes...

This in an interesting post. Where did you hear that he want to play in a 3-4? He would be beastly as an OLB in a 3-4.

It's sad, but true. I think we all feel pretty much teh same way. It's even more frustrating when the system in the NFL is set in place to have parity (unlike MLB), yet we're always unable to land the "big" FA in the offseason.

Peppers still has a good 4 years left of great football imo. The team that lands him will surely be lucky.