Anyone Else Surprised at the Number of...........

H2o

I, for one, am shocked. Colt McCoy said he was coming back early. But Bradford, Spikes, Gresham, Hardy, and Mays? All of them would have been first round selections in my opinion, Bradford very likely being the #1 pick overall. It is refreshing in a way, even though I would like to have gotten any of these players on the Bills. Most 21-22 year olds would be chasing that paper to the NFL. You wonder if it's the parents, coaches, or the teachers themselves that are finally getting through to the young men who are top notch athletes.

With 2010 being a potentially uncapped year and severe restrictions placed on teams for how they can prorate signing bonuses in 2009, it makes smart business sense to go back to school until the CBA situation is worked out.

BINGO - Don't let 'em fool you, this is about long term big bucks not some apiphony of consciousness these guys are having...more feedback from greedy agents I say.

I, for one, am shocked. Colt McCoy said he was coming back early. But Bradford, Spikes, Gresham, Hardy, and Mays? All of them would have been first round selections in my opinion, Bradford very likely being the #1 pick overall. It is refreshing in a way, even though I would like to have gotten any of these players on the Bills. Most 21-22 year olds would be chasing that paper to the NFL. You wonder if it's the parents, coaches, or the teachers themselves that are finally getting through to the young men who are top notch athletes.

As far as the QB's go, I'm sure they were not thrilled with the prospect of hearing their name called with this sentence preceding it:

"With the first pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the DETROIT LIONS select......

With 2010 being a potentially uncapped year and severe restrictions placed on teams for how they can prorate signing bonuses in 2009, it makes smart business sense to go back to school until the CBA situation is worked out.

There seems to be a general consensus that the next labor deal will include a cap on rookie contracts. So I would think that more players would want to come out this year. However, who knows for sure what will happen in 2010 when the current deal expires.

no one wants to get picked by detroit

Detroit would be a tough sell if I'm one of the top NCAA prospects. Kinda makes me wonder what guys like Stafford at UGA or Sanchez from USC are thinking. You're going to get destroyed there, just like a lot of other big time college QB's have in the past few years when they went to really bad teams or expansion teams (Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, David Carr, etc.)

Most 21-22 year olds would be chasing that paper to the NFL. You wonder if it's the parents, coaches, or the teachers themselves that are finally getting through to the young men who are top notch athletes.

BINGO - Don't let 'em fool you, this is about long term big bucks not some apiphony of consciousness these guys are having...more feedback from greedy agents I say.

Right, because it's soooo wrong for players to want to make millions of dollars. What is wrong with you people?

Right, because it's soooo wrong for players to want to make millions of dollars. What is wrong with you people?

Nobody said it was wrong - I disagree with the notion that they are staying in school for any other reason that the dollars...Enough of the "hey the parents are getting through to them"...

Getting through....????

Tell that to the one on your list who McGahees his knee next year, costing himself millions of guaranteed dollars, all while the school earns an a$$load of money off this kid via performance on the field, jersey sales and BCS bowl appearances due to play of 1st round picks.

These kids should get the $$ while they can, any agent who is not advising a potential client of that (especially in football) is grossly negligent.

i am shocked too, but think there are a number of reasons here. one is detroit, one is some of these guys aren't ready and no where near ready to play in the Motor City, unless they do an Atlanta, and some may want another year of B.M.O.C., especially Trojans and Gators. I did think more would jump since this may be the last year of big money for rookies. Maybe we could get an independant poll?

Getting through....????

Tell that to the one on your list who McGahees his knee next year, costing himself millions of guaranteed dollars, all while the school earns an a$$load of money off this kid via performance on the field, jersey sales and BCS bowl appearances due to play of 1st round picks.

These kids should get the $$ while they can, any agent who is not advising a potential client of that (especially in football) is grossly negligent.

exactly...the ncaa is the biggest exploitation racket in sports. you don't get paid when your knee gets popped, you get to tell stories about how you could have been a contender.

Detroit would be a tough sell if I'm one of the top NCAA prospects. Kinda makes me wonder what guys like Stafford at UGA or Sanchez from USC are thinking. You're going to get destroyed there, just like a lot of other big time college QB's have in the past few years when they went to really bad teams or expansion teams (Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, David Carr, etc.)

Somehow I remember Jim Kelly crying on draft day because he was picked by the Bills...

Getting through?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...akes/index.html

Getting through....????

Do the kids who return that would have been sure fire first round picks take out insurance policies on themselves.....if so are there policies that would come anywhere close to the money they would make throughout the average career of a first round pick? Wonder how much such a policy would be.......anyone in the insurance business?

i am shocked too, but think there are a number of reasons here. one is detroit, one is some of these guys aren't ready and no where near ready to play in the Motor City, unless they do an Atlanta, and some may want another year of B.M.O.C., especially Trojans and Gators. I did think more would jump since this may be the last year of big money for rookies. Maybe we could get an independant poll?

There's always a Detroit. This year, it's Detroit. However, last year it was Miami.