Derek Fine blurb in da snooze

Beerball

TE Derek Fine, fourth round: Was as good as advertised as a run blocker, but didn’t emerge as the downfield receiving threat the Bills need at TE.

Yall agree with that 1 sentence assessment?

I have issues with a couple things.

Numero A--why did Robert Royal see the field in the final month of the season? Shouldn't Fine and Schouman be given every opportunity to show what they could do? I thought that the glimpses we got of both showed that they had ability, they just weren't given the chances any smart coaching staff would have afforded them. Do I think we need to draft a TE on day 1? Yes, but that need is compounded by the staff's inability to get these two guys on the field more.

Numero B--downfield threat? Do we need a TE to be a downfield threat? What about Evans? Parrish? Don't we need a TE that can run the intermediate routes and get open (and catch the ball)? Sure, you might want to take a shot now and then down the seam...but that is a very difficult pass to throw (IMO). Your bread and butter with the TE should be 8-15 yards.

Also, love the McCorner quote:

It was unfortunate guys got hurt, but it gave me a chance to showcase our ability.

Rookie recap

Numero B--downfield threat? Do we need a TE to be a downfield threat?

Not until the Bills get a QB that can throw the ball downfield. Until then, a TE that can run a 3 yar pattern will be sufficient to sustain a bottom third offensive ranking.

It appeared that Fine is developing into a receiving threat. Given he was a mid to late round rookie, he did fairly well IMHO. I do agree with you that Royal should have been permanently benched and Fine should have played the last several games. I am not entirely confident in the coaches' ability to identify talent, which is why I want Royal cut outright to leave the coaches with little option but to play Fine.

Finally, the TE should not necessarily be a down field threat by default. If he covers the short to medium area of the field well, then it will open up the deep game for speedsters like Evans. My preference would be to cut Royal, get another TE, an experienced WR and promote Steve Johnson (another example of someone who should have played a lot more than he did).

We kept royal, with both left hands, instead of michael gaines. Gaines couldnt catch aids in an african brothel, but he was a great blocker and surprising after the catch for a 270+lb guy, and presumably dirt cheap.

Schouman and Fine are two versatile guys we could use in the slot as run blockers and pass threats. So are freddy and josh reed. Not that we use any of them that way.

Not until the Bills get a QB that can throw the ball downfield. Until then, a TE that can run a 3 yar pattern will be sufficient to sustain a bottom third offensive ranking.

This is a Moronic comment!!

As far as not throwing the ball to TE's downfield.....

:thumbsup:

Tailgated right next to Fine's entire family and friends in KC. Nicest people in the world. His bro said that Fine says Marshawn was the nicest and most welcoming player when he first showed up at 1BD. Definitely pulling for the dude after hangin with his family. Almost made out with this chick that was friends with the family but I didn't attempt because she had two kids.

Tailgated right next to Fine's entire family and friends in KC. Nicest people in the world. His bro said that Fine says Marshawn was the nicest and most welcoming player when he first showed up at 1BD. Definitely pulling for the dude after hangin with his family. Almost made out with this chick that was friends with the family but I didn't attempt because she had two kids.

Not allowed to make out with chicks who have kids?

I have issues with a couple things.

Numero A--why did Robert Royal see the field in the final month of the season? Shouldn't Fine and Schouman be given every opportunity to show what they could do? I thought that the glimpses we got of both showed that they had ability, they just weren't given the chances any smart coaching staff would have afforded them. Do I think we need to draft a TE on day 1? Yes, but that need is compounded by the staff's inability to get these two guys on the field more.

Numero B--downfield threat? Do we need a TE to be a downfield threat? What about Evans? Parrish? Don't we need a TE that can run the intermediate routes and get open (and catch the ball)? Sure, you might want to take a shot now and then down the seam...but that is a very difficult pass to throw (IMO). Your bread and butter with the TE should be 8-15 yards.

Also, love the McCorner quote:

Rookie recap

In any draft class teams normally get 1 or 2 impact players and usually one to three role players from their picks. McKelvin is clearly moving along the path of being an impact player. Corner may end up being a steal. For now, Fine and Johnson are developing into role players. A year is too early to stamp a "grade" on a draft class but the early signs for the Bills is that this is not a good one. If McKelvin goes unexpectedly bust this will class will likely go down as one of the Bill's poorest drafts. If Corner continues to come along and Johnson is as good as he early hints suggest that he might be then this could be an above average group. Hardy's development will determine if it is a great draft class.

We kept royal, with both left hands, instead of michael gaines. Gaines couldnt catch aids in an african brothel, but he was a great blocker and surprising after the catch for a 270+lb guy, and presumably dirt cheap.

Schouman and Fine are two versatile guys we could use in the slot as run blockers and pass threats. So are freddy and josh reed. Not that we use any of them that way.

So inappropriate, and yet so very funny.

FWIW, I don't think Fine is going to be any better than any of the other clone TEs we have had for the last decade or so.

I think he will be good. However if the Bills have the chance to get a top-flight TE, I wouldn't them to hesitate.