Whither Ralph....?

Just what evidence is there that Ralph actually wants/is willing to build a winning team? The "General Manager" is a numbers cruncher, not a football person. The head coach is a poster boy for mediocracy. The owner appears to believe that yesterdays approaches will eventually lead to tomorrows winning seasons (while I believe that if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got).

What evidence do you see that convinces you that the Buffalo Bills are on the right track toward a playoff game in the next three to five years?

Just what evidence is there that Ralph actually wants/is willing to build a winning team? The "General Manager" is a numbers cruncher, not a football person. The head coach is a poster boy for mediocracy. The owner appears to believe that yesterdays approaches will eventually lead to tomorrows winning seasons (while I believe that if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got).

What evidence do you see that convinces you that the Buffalo Bills are on the right track toward a playoff game in the next three to five years?

Zero.

No evidence whatsoever. As previously stated, his "inner circle" consists of the following: a cantakerous and meddling 90 year old, his accountant, his marketing genius cum GM, and a part time scout that lives, AND WORKS, in florida. And, he just rewarded 3 years of mediocrity by thumbing his nose at his supremely loyal fan base with this gem: "It wasn't a hard decision for me at all". Wow! You want evidence that the Bills are on the right path? There is no such evidence, only the contrary I'm afraid...

No evidence whatsoever. As previously stated, his "inner circle" consists of the following: a cantakerous and meddling 90 year old, his accountant, his marketing genius cum GM, and a part time scout that lives, AND WORKS, in florida. And, he just rewarded 3 years of mediocrity by thumbing his nose at his supremely loyal fan base with this gem: "It wasn't a hard decision for me at all". Wow! You want evidence that the Bills are on the right path? There is no such evidence, only the contrary I'm afraid...

:wallbash:

Best post I've read yet. My sentiments, exactly.

The entire organization, or at least those who voted to sell a game to Toronto, misunderestimated the support of the fans. Combine that with a season big on hype and little on actual results and this is the most angry fans have been in years.

Selling games, consistently poor teams, retaining DJ, and not naming a real GM are more than enough reasons for fans to be ticked. It's arrogant to think RW will overcome this with one or two FA pickups and the draft. The problems just run too deep.

No evidence whatsoever. As previously stated, his "inner circle" consists of the following: a cantankerous and meddling 90 year old, his accountant, his marketing genius cum GM, and a part time scout that lives, AND WORKS, in florida. And, he just rewarded 3 years of mediocrity by thumbing his nose at his supremely loyal fan base with this gem: "It wasn't a hard decision for me at all". Wow! You want evidence that the Bills are on the right path? There is no such evidence, only the contrary I'm afraid...

Hey, I had nothing to do with it.

No evidence whatsoever. As previously stated, his "inner circle" consists of the following: a cantankerous and meddling 90 year old, his accountant, his marketing genius cum GM, and a part time scout that lives, AND WORKS, in florida. And, he just rewarded 3 years of mediocrity by thumbing his nose at his supremely loyal fan base with this gem: "It wasn't a hard decision for me at all". Wow! You want evidence that the Bills are on the right path? There is no such evidence, only the contrary I'm afraid...

Doomed.

We were a missed field goal and a JP bootleg away from being a winning team. Don't you think you (and many others on the board) are being a bit dramatic? We're all frustrated. Stop whining.

RALPH kept the coach that called that bootleg & also called a RUNNING play with the clock running down & NO timeouts. :wallbash:

Time to move on to a new topic. Yawn ....

We were a missed field goal and a JP bootleg away from being a winning team. Don't you think you (and many others on the board) are being a bit dramatic? We're all frustrated. Stop whining.

To be more precise, we're a missed field goal, four bad playcalls and about six Jason Peter "Oles!!!" from being a winning team.

But really...who's counting.

Love your optimism, Tortured one, but even if those 2 plays went your way, there would still be 2 teams ahead of us in the division and one of those 11 win teams didn't make the playoffs..

The sewage we tread in is deep.

Correction - GM is a marketing guy, not a numbers cruncher. Big difference, a number cruncher would be much worse. Even a marketing guy at least knows you need good players to sell seats.

Did I just defend Brandon....ugh....

These are two different questions.

Even without any evidence besides his words, I have no doubts that Ralph wants to win. He is involved and shows up to games and spouts off and makes statements about the state of the game and the team that indicate a strong interest in winning.

However, this is a different question that whether he places such a high value on winning that he is willing to do what is necessary in terms of sacrificing his own desires and judgments which time and time again over the past decade have been shown to be wrong wrong wrong in making good team building judgments.

From his failure to get along with a proven winner Polian, to his misjudgment and handshake deal with how much Jimbo had left, to his repetitive meddling and over-reaching to the team's detriment trying to get a QB to replace Jimbo, to his stupid handling of the Wade situation, to his mis-reading and mismanagement of the Butler situation, to his putting to much faith and giving of unchecked authority to TD, blah, blah, blah, Ralph has demonstrated to me that desire is not his problem, competence in football decison-making is.

I thank him a lot for keeping the team here in this small market when other NFL owners like Modell to Frontiere have simply followed the money, however, i do mutter beneath my breath and even curse his actions publicly as though these other owners were idiots they did oversee the creation of winners.

Ah, I see. My heart swells now that I understand that there is a parsing of terms/ideas/approaches that needs be applied to reveal the inner focus and true heart of Ralph Wilson.

So, reservations for the playoff suite....?

As that great 20th Century philosopher, Aretha Franklin, said, "Who's zoomin' who?

Correction - GM is a marketing guy, not a numbers cruncher. Big difference, a number cruncher would be much worse. Even a marketing guy at least knows you need good players to sell seats.

Did I just defend Brandon....ugh....

Why do people hate on Brandon? In his first season on the job,h e traded for a pro bowl DT (in a great deal for the Bills), signed a starting LB from the Super Bowl champs (who made a ton of plays for them), a good solid depth DE/ DT, and drafted a potential player with pro bowl ability at both corner and kick returner. He also was very involved in trade talks with Tony G.

IMO, that's a pretty good start to a tenure.

Why do people hate on Brandon? In his first season on the job,h e traded for a pro bowl DT (in a great deal for the Bills), signed a starting LB from the Super Bowl champs (who made a ton of plays for them), a good solid depth DE/ DT, and drafted a potential player with pro bowl ability at both corner and kick returner. He also was very involved in trade talks with Tony G.

IMO, that's a pretty good start to a tenure.

Because fellow GM's in the league grow up working in personnel. Whether it be pro or in amateur scouting, this is where GM's come from. Even Marty Hurney worked in personnel down in Carolina before ascending to GM.

Russ Brandon was groomed in the marketing arena, and has no real world experience in personnel. The people who most likely figured into the Stroud acquisition were Overdorf and Guy. The signing of Mitchell came about from research provided by Guy, and confirmed by football people.

It's like having your lawyer select stocks for you. You wouldn't give that responsibility to someone who is not experienced in the field.

While people like Pioli, Parcells, Polian, AJ Smith, Ted Thompson, Jerry Reese, Ozzie Newsome, Kevin Colbert, and Tom Dimitroff grew up working in personnel, Brandon was making marketing pitches. There's a distinct difference.