How Much Did Not Having Crowell Hurt Our Defense?

H2o

Crowell has played well for our team over the past couple of seasons. He seemed to be a pretty smart player that was a sure tackler. How much do you believe him being placed on IR before Week 1 effected the overall play of our defense? Do you believe that our W-L total is that much different with him on the field? Does he make Poz and Mitchell look better if he's there to make plays? I think our defense would've been better, but I don't know how much better. What do you all think the loss of Crowell meant to our team?

Crowell has played well for our team over the past couple of seasons. He seemed to be a pretty smart player that was a sure tackler. How much do you believe him being placed on IR before Week 1 effected the overall play of our defense? Do you believe that our W-L total is that much different with him on the field? Does he make Poz and Mitchell look better if he's there to make plays? I think our defense would've been better, but I don't know how much better. What do you all think the loss of Crowell meant to our team?

No way to quantify, but I think it hurt greatly. When you have to start your backups, it's a drop in performance. Who knows, maybe worth no wins, 2 wins...etc...

i don't remember what game it was, but we gave up a LONG touchdown run, and on the play ellison got bowled over like a bowling pin. I'd like to think that Crowell wouldn't have been steamrolled like that.

I'm going to throw out a guess and quantify Crowell's value as a .2 ypc difference in our rush defense if he played this year.

Eh.

He entered '08 as a 5th year pro. I don't recall any especial accolades about his play through the years. He makes a roster, but what else?

He was the only defensive player in '07 to have at least one sack, one interception, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, and I might be missing something else, but you get the picture. Crowell has the knack for making big plays. I'm able to observe these things during a game, hey, but that's just me.

He was the only defensive player in '07 to have at least one sack, one interception, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, and I might be missing something else, but you get the picture. Crowell has the knack for making big plays. I'm able to observe these things during a game, hey, but that's just me.

How many tackles did Crowell have in 07 compared to Ellison's last year?

Nuff said

After Spikes and Fletcher left, he was our best LB. He's still right up there. He's a very good player. No Spikes, of course, but very good. If he comes back, there's no need to upgrade the position.

He was better than Spikes before Spikes left, as Spikes was a shadow of his former self by that time (post injury).

Probably about equal pass defense but he would of given a bit of a boost to the run D and at least a decent threat as a pass rusher, like 4 or 5 sacks instead of 0 by Ellison, who is no threat of a pass rusher whatsoever. Crowell at least seemed to have a little nack for the occasional sack.

There are two truths to a guy like Crowell: On One hand is that he was indeed missed on defense for the Bills this year, no question, but on the other he would have a hard time making the roster on most of the playoff teams this year(Except San diego)

Don't mis-read me though, I do like him on the field given our current roster.

There are two truths to a guy like Crowell: On One hand is that he was indeed missed on defense for the Bills this year, no question, but on the other he would have a hard time making the roster on most of the playoff teams this year(Except San diego)

Don't mis-read me though, I do like him on the field given our current roster.

I think he would have a hard time breaking the starting rotation, on some of those teams, but would make the roster on most teams (if money wasn't an issue).

As has been mentioned, Crowell is a legit starting NFL LB...not a superstar by any means, but a solid starter with some ability to pressure the QB. Ellison is a decent backup, but as a starter he costs the team some in a couple of areas.

I think he would have a hard time breaking the starting rotation, on some of those teams, but would make the roster on most teams (if money wasn't an issue).

As has been mentioned, Crowell is a legit starting NFL LB...not a superstar by any means, but a solid starter with some ability to pressure the QB. Ellison is a decent backup, but as a starter he costs the team some in a couple of areas.

That's true about both, and I think if you add another high motor LB into the rotation on this team like a guy like Mitchell, Crowell then looks even better.

Crowell has decent speed and he's a good tackler. His problem is that he overshoots gaps. Yes Ellison got ran over a few times, but at least he was in position to get run over. Crowell would've been four yards past the play. It's tough to tell how much Crowell would've been missed - he would've made some big plays, for sure (remember his INT against the Dolphins?), but he would've cost us some big plays as well.

Ellison is a decent backup, but as a starter he costs the team some in a couple of areas.

He is small, and not strong enough. Did you see LaMarr Woodley play OLB for the Steelers? Take away Stroud, and I swear that this guy is stronger than anybody else on our entire defensive unit.

There is something drastically wrong with this picture. :wallbash: We play in the cold just like they do, and our defense is a bunch of little guys chasing people after 15 yard receptions on 3rd and 14. It goes back to our discussion in the other thread. :oops:;)

He is small, and not strong enough. Did you see LaMarr Woodley play OLB for the Steelers? Take away Stroud, and I swear that this guy is stronger than anybody else on our entire defensive unit.

There is something drastically wrong with this picture. :wallbash: We play in the cold just like they do, and our defense is a bunch of little guys chasing people after 15 yard receptions on 3rd and 14. It goes back to our discussion in the other thread. :oops:;)

Your point? He is a BACKUP Bill. Most teams backups don't have the ability of the starters. I think we agree he is not the guy you want starting, as the OLB...but he is not meant to be a starter on the Bills' roster.