Buffalo News

This is the second recent round of buyouts at the Berkshire Hathaway Inc.-owned daily, but an offer last fall did not include editorial staff.

Too bad I would not mind if they laid off entire editorial staff other than Tom Toles.

Hopefully they decide to buy out Jerry Sullivan and Rod Watson. I'm sure it won't cost much.

Jerry will continue to pay the Buffalo News to carry his column.... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately he's right too often about the bumbling Bills the last decade or so....grrrrrrrrrr

Its truly a shame the economic realities of news print media hit home. Who actually subsribes to a newspaper anymore? I bet the average subscriber age is over 50. Its just like music. Why pay for it when you can get it for free? Doesn't make it right, but it makes sense.

Personally, I truly don't understand why it seems so many Bills fans dislike Sullivan. He's a very talented writer who speaks with an intelligent prose thats readable and identifiable. I don't think I've ever found anything that I truly disagreed with that he's said. Even if I have, his points are well worded, and well defended. Gleason gets on my nerves sometimes. He's the Buffalo native of the two, and I always find a sense of self importance or pretention when I read Gleason. Inside the NHL is worth reading, I guess, but I sense this air of "I'm in the biz, so I know what really is right and wrong, and the fans couldn't possibly have a point" crap. Maybe that's just me, but in my opinion, Sullivan is a much more readable and enjoyable columnist. Can you really blame him for his cynicisms? He's had the "pleasure" of writing about quite possibly the most dysfunctional NFL franchise this decade. I'd start to lose it too, if that's all I had. He's a basketball writer in a town that has no team, and our college hoops following is lukewarm at best.

The News has had its slew of very respected writers through its years. Carucci is now the senior editor of NFL.com, thats a very big deal. Jim Kelley is writing for Sports Illustrated. Felzer is old, but still has his wits. I'd read the News over the Times' sports section any day. The other stuff, well, the Times is decidely better, but it seems a lot of folks here are too lazy or stupid to look up some of the words you will inevitably run into when reading the Times. Embarrasing, somewhat, but it makes you a better reader, and writer, no question.

An announcement this week here in Dallas:

The Dallas Morning News and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram have agreed to split (and reduce) their sports coverage:

Both newspapers will still cover the Cowboys.

DMN only will cover the Stars and Mavericks, and will supply their stories to the FWST.

FWST only will cover the Rangers, and will supply their stories to the DMN.

An announcement this week here in Dallas:

The Dallas Morning News and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram have agreed to split (and reduce) their sports coverage:

Both newspapers will still cover the Cowboys.

DMN only will cover the Stars and Mavericks, and will supply their stories to the FWST.

FWST only will cover the Rangers, and will supply their stories to the DMN.

Wow - when I lived in Dallas, I was a Star Telegram fan - loved the rants of Randy Galloway. What is happening is too bad - the lack of cometition will dumb down the products out there...