Rey Mauluga shows off his moves

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that display made Ralph scratch him off the Bills board. His 'dancing' could be a distraction for the team.

A distraction???

That's exactly what this team needs! I'd be thrilled if they took this guy.

Yeah. I'm sure Lisa Olson, Paola Boivin, and every other female sports journalist who've been harassed while trying to do their jobs think that's a great clip.

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=3788

Out of curiosity and ignorance, what are the rules concerning women reporters in men's locker rooms? And men reporters in female locker rooms? Are there any?

Out of curiosity and ignorance, what are the rules concerning women reporters in men's locker rooms? And men reporters in female locker rooms? Are there any?

WNBA locker rooms were open, last I knew. Never covered a college team, but I think most of them are now closed after games, with players brought into a separate interview room. (And that's a good thing, in my opinion, because you're still talking about a bunch of 17-18-19-year-old kids. I'd never dream of going into a high school locker room -- boys' or girls' -- for an interview.) If Bmwolf sees this thread, he can give you a better answer about the college level, though.

Pretty sure the big four (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) are all open, with some teams adding their own additional rules.

I won't belabor my initial point here. But while he didn't actually drop trou or anything that explicit, yeah, I thought his dance was a little inappropriate. So do most of the writers and broadcasters who are discussing this at my other hangout, regardless of their gender. My favorite line, from a female writer who used to cover an NHL team for a Canadian paper: "You know ... nightclub, football field, place of work, middle of the street ... some guy I don't know comes up behind me and does that? He's dropping Chiclets."

WNBA locker rooms were open, last I knew. Never covered a college team, but I think most of them are now closed after games, with players brought into a separate interview room. (And that's a good thing, in my opinion, because you're still talking about a bunch of 17-18-19-year-old kids. I'd never dream of going into a high school locker room -- boys' or girls' -- for an interview.) If Bmwolf sees this thread, he can give you a better answer about the college level, though.

Pretty sure the big four (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) are all open, with some teams adding their own additional rules.

Sounds about right to me - players are usually brought to an interview room, or at the very least a hallway or area outside the LR. That's how it's been in my limited experiences covering college sports and working at a D-I school.

I won't belabor my initial point here. But while he didn't actually drop trou or anything that explicit, yeah, I thought his dance was a little inappropriate. So do most of the writers and broadcasters who are discussing this at my other hangout, regardless of their gender. My favorite line, from a female writer who used to cover an NHL team for a Canadian paper: "You know ... nightclub, football field, place of work, middle of the street ... some guy I don't know comes up behind me and does that? He's dropping Chiclets."

While one could find it humorous, it definitely wasn't appropriate. Shows a little immaturity by Mauluga, IMO. Wonder if Pete Carroll has seen this and/or said anything to him about it.

While one could find it humorous, it definitely wasn't appropriate. Shows a little immaturity by Mauluga, IMO. Wonder if Pete Carroll has seen this and/or said anything to him about it.

It wasn't appropriate but the guy just won his last college game, "The Rose Bowl" in fact and is about to become a millionaire, I'd be dancing with whoever was around me too...

Come on now, he didn't even touch her. I think it's hillarious. The guy is just having fun. Some of you guys must crap BB's you're wound so tight.

I was kidding about erasing him from the Bills draft board, but...would that behavior especially if caught on tape be tolerated at your place of work? Well, that is Maualuga's and Andrews' place of work.

I was kidding about erasing him from the Bills draft board, but...would that behavior especially if caught on tape be tolerated at your place of work? Well, that is Maualuga's and Andrews' place of work.

Maybe the Bills will draft Maualuga and then Erin Andrews will realize just how wealthy sexy he is and show up @ every Bills home game.

I'll slightly disagree with this, although I understand your point.

It's definitely Andrews' place of work. Since Maualauga isn't actually employed, it's really not his place of work. She works at a college football game. He plays in a football game. She has an obligation to be a professional. He has no such obligation. He does have an obligation to represent the school in an appropriate manner, in which I would suggest this doesn't fit. Working for a living and abiding by workplace rules is quite different than representing your school at a college football game. While actions that are appropriate should be the same in both situations, the consequences for failure to follow the rules are vastly different.

This IMO is just an incident that shows his immaturity. I'd like to think that Pete Carrol called him into his office and had a brief talk with him about it. I'd like to think that perhaps he called Andrews, apologized, and she was then gracious enough to not make a big deal about it, because she understood it was a just an immature act by a college age kid wanting to have fun and get some laughs. I'd like to think that he explained he wasn't thinking when he did it, but certainly didn't mean her any harm or offense, and she understood where he was coming from, because most of us have been at the unthinking college maturity at some point in our lives. I'd like to think he learns to think a bit more about his actions in the future, and how they make him and whatever organization he represents look.

Hopefully some, if not all of that happened. Who knows. Is it a nothing incident? No. Is it quite on the level of sexual assault in a locker room or throwing a nasty jock strap at her head just because she's a woman? No. Is it an incident that speaks to what women still have to overcome in the male dominated sports environment? Not in my opinion, because I would base that kind of stuff more on intent. I think it's just an immature college guy having fun and trying to get some laughs and not thinking beyond himself as to how his actions will affect someone else. That doesn't make it acceptable behavior, but it's not nearly as reprehensible as the locker room incidents that were in those articles.