Could Center be our Biggest problem??

Poeticlaw

The center position is the Bill's biggest need. Most teams can get away with not having a good center, in the AFC East however, C is extremely important. Miami, NE, and the Jets all play 3-4 defenses with stud nose tackles. Wilfolk, Jenkins, and Furgenson not only stuffed the run against us, but the collapsed the pocket when the Bills attempted to pass. To counter these players we need a strong talented center. This player could very well be a converted tackle or guard. Most college teams do not put their most talented lineman at center, because often, there is no one lined up across from them. Due to this fact, they value intelligence and quickness over strength and toughness. Fowler and Preston could be fine players in most other divisions. The bills were 7-3 outside of the division with 2-3 losses coming to 3-4 defenses. That means they went 0-8 against the 3-4. Bring in a better center, and they will start competing with those teams.

And if we want this to happen immediately, it will be a FA, not a drafted Center. That's why I am thinking we won't be drafting Mack.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if we want this to happen immediately, it will be a FA, not a drafted Center. That's why I am thinking we won't be drafting Mack.

I wouldn't draft Mack anyways.

You know better than most on here Astro, that he just doesn't fit the style of center we need.

The center position is the Bill's biggest need. Most teams can get away with not having a good center, in the AFC East however, C is extremely important. Miami, NE, and the Jets all play 3-4 defenses with stud nose tackles. Wilfolk, Jenkins, and Furgenson not only stuffed the run against us, but the collapsed the pocket when the Bills attempted to pass. To counter these players we need a strong talented center. This player could very well be a converted tackle or guard. Most college teams do not put their most talented lineman at center, because often, there is no one lined up across from them. Due to this fact, they value intelligence and quickness over strength and toughness. Fowler and Preston could be fine players in most other divisions. The bills were 7-3 outside of the division with 2-3 losses coming to 3-4 defenses. That means they went 0-8 against the 3-4. Bring in a better center, and they will start competing with those teams.

Center is nowhere near our biggest need. When our line was healthy, over the last 7 weeks of the season, the Bills recorded almost 150 yards rushing per game. I don't know where you're getting your info from that the 3-4 defenses in our division are stuffing the run against us, because we gained 187 rushing yards against the Jets and 161 yards rushing against the Patriots during that stretch. I repeat, center is nowhere near our biggest need.

Our lack of a pass catching tight end, invisible linebacker corps, and defensive ends that seem to have concrete in their cleats are far more pressing areas that we need to improve.

Agree.

We can't likely draft immediate solutions, and OC certainly requires an immediate solution.

We should be looking at next year's upcoming free agents on our team, and decide if we draft replacements.

I think Mack, Caldwell and Unger can step in right away and be pretty solid. This year's crop of centers are unusual. I just don't like Mack for our style.

I think Mack, Caldwell and Unger can step in right away and be pretty solid. This year's crop of centers are unusual. I just don't like Mack for our style.

Mack fits all styles of OL play. He's big and stout, but also light on his feet and an excellent cut blocker. He's also among the smarter athletes in all of NCAA football. Contrast that with the unathletic, soft and painfully stupid Duke Preston.

Mack fits all styles of OL play. He's big and stout, but also light on his feet and an excellent cut blocker. He's also among the smarter athletes in all of NCAA football. Contrast that with the unathletic, soft and painfully stupid Duke Preston.

Have you seen Mack play?

The rushing total against the Patriots was high because we ran almost every play due to the poor weather conditions. In addition we did not run the ball well the entire game. The second half of the game we gained very few yards. The 2nd game against the Jets was an exception, but for the most part 3-4 defenses prevented the offense from scoring many points.

The rushing total against the Patriots was high because we ran almost every play due to the poor weather conditions.

Fred Jackson had 27 carries for 136 yards. That is not at all a huge amount of carries.

The 2nd game against the Jets was an exception, but for the most part 3-4 defenses prevented the offense from scoring many points.

The 3-4 defenses being tough for us to score on, and us running well against them when healthy, are two separate things.

Have you seen Mack play?

Absolutely. The question is, have you seen the Bills? How does he not fit in their style? The Bills have a large, zone blocking line and he is a large, powerful blocker who is well suited to match up against guys like Vince Wilfork and Kris Jenkins. He would also fit in a scheme that relies more on movement and even a cut blocking attack like Denver or Houston. He's a rare player that should work well regardless of the scheme his team runs. By the same token, Caldwell is more of a "move" center who is not well suited to having a 350 lb. nose tackle right over him and Unger is a lesser athlete who doesn't have the power or balance of Mack.

Absolutely. The question is, have you seen the Bills? How does he not fit in their style? The Bills have a large, zone blocking line and he is a large, powerful blocker who is well suited to match up against guys like Vince Wilfork and Kris Jenkins. He would also fit in a scheme that relies more on movement and even a cut blocking attack like Denver or Houston. He's a rare player that should work well regardless of the scheme his team runs. By the same token, Caldwell is more of a "move" center who is not well suited to having a 350 lb. nose tackle right over him and Unger is a lesser athlete who doesn't have the power or balance of Mack.

I can't even believe what I'm reading.

What's next? Trent throws the deep ball well and McGahee has breakaway speed?

I'm done arguing with someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

Offensive line to include center is the biggest weakness for the Bills. Think of all the 3rd and 1's and 2's where they threw the ball instead of running it. It wasn't play calling. It was because the coaches had no confidence in the OL to pick up the first down running the ball. Besides if you have a strong offensive line it hides many weaknesses on a team. When the Bills were making the Super Bowls they had a strong offensive line. Yeah they had Kelly Thomas Reed Smith et al but the offensive line was the key. It gave time and holes for the playmakers to make plays. Edwards Lynch Evans Shobel aren't nearly as talented as the other HOFers above but the offensive line is pathetic compared to OL that were making the Super Bowls.

"James Kent Hull (born January 13, 1960 in Pontotoc, Mississippi) is a former American football offensive lineman in the National Football League and United States Football League. He played center for the New Jersey Generals of the USFL and Buffalo Bills of the NFL. A native of Greenwood, Mississippi and a graduate of Mississippi State University, Hull retired from football in January 1997 to settle down in the Mississippi Delta with his wife and two children."

Where does it state he was converted?????? :lol:

"Richer was moved to guard from center by the Buffalo "

Where does it say he was converted TO Center he wasnt he was converted TO Guard???? :thumbsup:

i hear he's now a bookie in toledo

Preston is an idiot, and he beat out Fowler, which goes to show something. Never mind the crummy blocking, how about his aborted snap and his time-running-out decision to start a fight.

Preston has had enough time in the league to have learned to play smarter than he did. Upgrade over Fowler bu that is like saying an AMC Pacer is an upgrade over a Yugo.

I can't even believe what I'm reading.

What's next? Trent throws the deep ball well and McGahee has breakaway speed?

I'm done arguing with someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

If you disagree with BADOLBILZ with respect to Mack, why don't you explain why. You have offered very generic statements about style of play, but nothing of substance. Why not add something constructive to the discussion.