2009 Free Agents

I would love David Carr or Joey Harrington. Yes, I said it.

These guys were big time prospects with tons of talent, but had their careers ruined by teams even worse than the Bills.

I'd like to see them on a better team. As a backup, I believe either of these guys could be servicable.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love David Carr or Joey Harrington. Yes, I said it.

These guys were big time prospects with tons of talent, but had their careers ruined by teams even worse than the Bills.

I'd like to see them on a better team. As a backup, I believe either of these guys could be servicable.

Joey Harrington?? u r joking of course....thank God...

I agree. But, why would you want the Bills to get a "ruined QB"? Do you think the Bills have the coaching to fix them? If they did, then how do you explain JP?

No broken QB's please. Someone who comes to the Bills competent, is needed.

I agree. But, why would you want the Bills to get a "ruined QB"? Do you think the Bills have the coaching to fix them? If they did, then how do you explain JP?

Exactly. The Bills can't fix or develop any QB.

If Kerry Collins takes TN to the promised land I don't think he will be traveling anywhere.

Current recovery plan for Brady makes it sound like NE will keep Cassell.

Fitz in Cincy seems like a lock due to his performance this season.

Sims - un-proven over a period of time.

Garcia - will never stand for second string.

The rest are left over dishwater.

Collins is tricky, If the Titans win it all, they may stay with him, but they've got a lot of money wrapped up in Vince Young being the franchise QB so I guess it all depends. Also, while the Titans were winning, Collins did little more than manage the game and if you look at his stats you'll see almost any QB could achieve those numbers.

Simms is also in Tenn and might stick around, especially if Young is the man they go with next season

Garcia, I know a lot of you guys like him but I dont see him with much football left and he isn't the kind of guy who likes being on the bench.

Fitz looks to have solidified himself in Cincy, but you never know as Cincy has a tendency to flop their #2 Qbs around

I'm going to do the LBers next, was hoping to get to that today, but instead was stuck running errands and wedding planning. Yay

I should have that one up tomorrow afternoon

2009 NFL Free Agent Breakdown

For the rest of the week I’m going to be posting the current Free Agents at each position and giving analysis. Today we start with FA QBs (Italics represent RFA)

Now, if Buffalo was looking to bring in a veteran QB off this list, I would take a look at Kerry Collins. Depending on what the Titans do, he might be available and would be a good backup to Edwards and someone you could rely on starting a few games if need be. For the most part though, there isn’t much to go around when it comes to FA QBs in 2009. Leftwich will probably stay put in Pittsburgh, Cassel is going to get huge money thrown at him, and I doubt Garcia leaves Tampa unless Gruden leaves.

I agree Collins would be very good for Buffalo. Solid backup and possible mentor / player coach for Trent. He might be willing to come to Buffalo because he would have a very real chance at getting back on the field given Edwards injury history and inconsistent play. I would vote Garcia as a number two for the same reasons.

Bottom line is the Bills have to make a run at at least one of the individuals on this list (other than JP please)

If it's a backup they are seeking, then Cassel is out.

Both Garcia and Warner would be good, but neither is the kind of guy that takes sitting on the bench well...they are a QB controversy waiting to happen. I don't know how Collins would handle the bench, after the success he had this year, but he would be a decent choice. Those guys are the cream of this crop. If you want the best quality, and damn the consequences, it's one of them. But, it might be the beginning of the end for Trent.

I think that leaves Batch, Boller, Grossman, Simms and Frye as guys that could start a game, if they had to, and not make your stomach turn (well, maybe turn a little). Leftwich is also one of those guys...but not on this team, I don't think. Wrong kind of QB...better off backing Ben in Pittsburgh.

Excellent work!

My Choices would be

1-Jeff Garcia Trent could learn alot from him. Pretty savy QB

2-Kerry Collins - Been around & seen it all including some very trying times as a NFL QB -should help Trent's mental prep

3-David Carr - Mostly just because He'd be a solid backup for the "injury fill-in" games[

4- Bryron Leftwitch - Hopefully he can teach a little better toughness

5- Charlie Batch - He's cheap & probably got a year or two of mopup duty left.

If Kerry Collins takes TN to the promised land I don't think he will be traveling anywhere.

Current recovery plan for Brady makes it sound like NE will keep Cassell.

Fitz in Cincy seems like a lock due to his performance this season.

Sims - un-proven over a period of time.

Garcia - will never stand for second string.

The rest are left over dishwater.

Of the list, Sims may be a bit intriguing as a backup. But then, we already have Hamden who may be better anyway. I just don't see the others as our backup....

I supect we'll be staying with Hamden and possibly a rookie...

I supect we'll be staying with Hamden and possibly a rookie...

This is (one of) my worst fear(s). We need a real QB if we're gonna advance into the playoffs next year. If you can sign Warner, Garcia, Collins, or Cassel THEY START. You don't get one of these guys and put him behind Trent. That would be just plain dumb.

I'd like to see the Bills sign either Collins or Warner or Garcia or Cassell and immediately announce him as the opening day starter in 2009. Then let him work the off season with Turk and the recievers. Trent can watch, study, practice, get acclimated to the cold, and perform mop up duty for the next few years. Then he might be ready.

From what Ralph said though, I think we'll probably need to get a backup. My first choice is Anthony Wright. 9 year vet. Played for Ravens when they went to playoffs last. A solid vet. Stats not great. I've seen him play in Dallas and Baltimore and he looks solid. Could come in when Trent gets hurt and play well. After that I'd go for Batch or Leftwich. Not really interested in Carr or Harrington or Bollinger. Ramsey may be OK.

Do not even consider Frye. I've seen him play in Seattle and he's horrible.

Please tell me we're not going into 2009 with Edwards, Hamdan, and a rookie. That's one of my (among many) greatest fears.

Rumor has it that John Guy thinks Losman is better than all others available and will franchise him to keep him in Buffalo :worthy:

2009 NFL Free Agent Breakdown

Now, if Buffalo was looking to bring in a veteran QB off this list, I would take a look at Kerry Collins. Depending on what the Titans do, he might be available and would be a good backup to Edwards and someone you could rely on starting a few games if need be. For the most part though, there isn’t much to go around when it comes to FA QBs in 2009. Leftwich will probably stay put in Pittsburgh, Cassel is going to get huge money thrown at him, and I doubt Garcia leaves Tampa unless Gruden leaves.

I'd like to see a strong armed QB that came from a cold weather background. Don't know exactly who that would be, though.

Rumor has it that John Guy thinks Losman is better than all others available and will franchise him to keep him in Buffalo :worthy:

You have jokes Spartacus! Seriously, we can look for the Bills to bring in Anthony Wright. I mean look at all the other idiotic moves they made in the past: Teddy Lehman(never played a down), Dustin Fox, Jon Stupar. Do I need to continue?

then Favre is the man

he doesn't do what good coaches tell him - so no way he listens to our crackerjack staff

every pass is an adventure- so the excitement level would be good.

he would be setting NFL records with every pick he threw

just the guy the bills need to take the focus off big Dick

You have jokes Spartacus! Seriously, we can look for the Bills to bring in Anthony Wright. I mean look at all the other idiotic moves they made in the past: Teddy Lehman(never played a down), Dustin Fox, Jon Stupar. Do I need to continue?

I'd take Anthony Wright over Carr or Harrington or Boller or Bollinger or Berlin or Bouman or Eugene or Fitzpatrick or Frye or Henson or O'Sullivan or Orlovsky or St. Pierre or Tuiasosopo

He'd be a very servicable backup to play the 3 or 4 games next year when Trent will be injured.