Consider for a moment this tactical move by RW

GG

He doesn't want to fire Jauron because of the contract. But since he knows that the fanbase has unequivocally turned on Jauron, an announcement of the extension will surely rile up the masses and flood OBD's voicemail and email inboxes with infuriated messages.

Seeing the full brunt of fans' reaction will force Jauron to step down on his own, since there's very little he can do before the season starts to placate the fans.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't want to fire Jauron because of the contract. But since he knows that the fanbase has unequivocally turned on Jauron, an announcement of the extension will surely rile up the masses and flood OBD's voicemail and email inboxes with infuriated messages.

Seeing the full brunt of fans' reaction will force Jauron to step down on his own, since there's very little he can do before the season starts to placate the fans.

and since the players support the coach, they should also walk away?

The Bills need to resign Jason Peters ASAP!!

I don't think that could possibly have been a pre-determined strategy. If he really wanted him out, he would have pulled the same old "fire your assistants" move (or some other move that he knows he wouldn't do) and then make him resign.

However, I do think the scenario is plausible, as I alluded to in my suggestion for a billboard. Unlike Mike Mularkey, I think Jauron could be shamed into leaving, thus my suggestion of "Dick Jauron, Why would you stay where you are not wanted?".

If I could have one day in the press room to ask questions - I'm quite sure Jauron would either resign or surrender any shred of self-respect.

I don't think that could possibly have been a pre-determined strategy. If he really wanted him out, he would have pulled the same old "fire your assistants" move (or some other move that he knows he wouldn't do) and then make him resign.

However, I do think the scenario is plausible, as I alluded to in my suggestion for a billboard. Unlike Mike Mularkey, I think Jauron could be shamed into leaving, thus my suggestion of "Dick Jauron, Why would you stay where you are not wanted?".

If I could have one day in the press room to ask questions - I'm quite sure Jauron would either resign or surrender any shred of self-respect.

Agreed. It will be interesting if Bills hold their year end press conference and if reporters/columnists hold back on the questions.

For comic relief, the press conference should be in the practice facility on a Friday. Jauron will be a master then.

First of all, your article on TBD was superb. :thumbsup:

Your scenario is plausible, but I doubt it. I heard Ralph speak many times at the Stadium. Our dirty little secret is that the man has sounded "out of it" for at least 10 years.

I do believe that he still understands money. The economy does suck, and season tickets probably would have decreased in any event. Given that, I think that he simply refuses to take a chance in terms of spending more to win. He is content to pocket the cash, and like Michael Corleone said of Hyman Roth in Godfather 2, "he thinks that he is going to live forever."

The best we can hope for is that Jauron learns from his mistakes, studies game planning and strategy from the Pats* and Jets losses (among others), works hard for the unwarranted extension and makes the entire coaching staff do the same. So what are the chances of that happening?

First of all, your article on TBD was superb. :thumbsup:

Your scenario is plausible, but I doubt it. I heard Ralph speak many times at the Stadium. Our dirty little secret is that the man has sounded "out of it" for at least 10 years.

I do believe that he still understands money. The economy does suck, and season tickets probably would have decreased in any event. Given that, I think that he simply refuses to take a chance in terms of spending more to win. He is content to pocket the cash, and like Michael Corleone said of Hyman Roth in Godfather 2, "he thinks that he is going to live forever."

One thing is obvious, Ralph is not motivated by winning. I know very little about his other business interests. Perhaps others do but I wonder if he would stand for sub-standard management in those other businesses?

I suspect that since the NFL is essentially an uncompetitive monopoly, the business not the conflict between franchises for the title, he can do pretty much whatever he wants and get away with it. The reality is that no team is ever eliminated from the league for poor performance. In his other businesses, if there is actual competition that would endanger the survival of the business enterprise I suspect he'd move pretty quick to oust Juron-like managers (or would never hire them at all).

These issues aside, Happy New Year to all...

Exactly - I could read a lot of angry email for that kind of coin

I assume your situation is much different than Jauron's. He is older and has already made millions. And it isn't just email. This guy is going to get blasted unmercifully on radio, TV, in public, and on the net until the day he leaves. He is also going to get booed unmercifully every time his name is mentioned in that stadium.

I'm sorry, but I guarantee you I have enough dignity not to stand in front of 50, 60, 70k people week in and week out and listen to an entire region of the country voice their hatred of me.

The best we can hope for is that Jauron learns from his mistakes, studies game planning and strategy from the Pats* and Jets losses (among others), works hard for the unwarranted extension and makes the entire coaching staff do the same. So what are the chances of that happening?

The man has had 9 years and hasn't learned anything yet. He has to be the most clueless Ivy leaguer in history.

One thing is obvious, Ralph is not motivated by winning. I know very little about his other business interests. Perhaps others do but I wonder if he would stand for sub-standard management in those other businesses?

I suspect that since the NFL is essentially an uncompetitive monopoly, the business not the conflict between franchises for the title, he can do pretty much whatever he wants and get away with it. The reality is that no team is ever eliminated from the league for poor performance. In his other businesses, if there is actual competition that would endanger the survival of the business enterprise I suspect he'd move pretty quick to oust Juron-like managers (or would never hire them at all).

These issues aside, Happy New Year to all...

I'm pretty sure that Ralph, who has managed the Bills personally for most of the past 49 years, doesn't see any "sub-standard management" at all. In fact, his tiny investment 49 years ago has grown approximately 3.2 million percent in value, say nothing of the sustained income he's had in the millions for decades. It's a veritable gold mine, a machine in the closet that prints money faster than anyone could possibly spend it. He got all that for a small investment and taking a chance on a small city in western NY state. That's not "sub-standard", that's f-ing genius. That's significantly better than his insurance business, which was extremely successful in its own right. His family is set for generations.

The problem is you're putting your values on his actions. He's made it patently obvious that winning doesn't matter much to him over the last 49 years. Sure, he likes winning when lucky enough to catch lightning in his thimble. Indeed, when he has taken a chance on "football administrative types" in the past, he has been burned or spurned. Tom Donahoe tried to centralize all the power to himself and the rest of the front office felt/was kept in the dark. Bill Polian was a big gamble at the time, an unknown from the outside, who had an offensive and abrasive personality (or a low threshold for incompetence). I'm sure enough time has passed and there were enough people in the building that Polian, the best football accident that ever happened to the Buffalo Bills, has been marginalized. We could go on. There were problems with Butler and AJ Smith, problems with Chuck Knox and the front office he brought in with him, problems with Saban on two different occasions, and even rumors of problem with Marv.

I think anybody that has gone through higher education and then entered the workforce can reflect upon that experience and can admit that there is a real and not insignificant transition that must happen between "learning about it" and "practicing it". Jauron is not a stupid man. I'm sure he can talk for weeks on end about football. The trouble is his practice of those principles. As a young head coach, he placed a lot of confidence in Cade McNown, who was a screw up. He kept insisting that "I still believe he is the QB that gives us the best chance to win" even though the players in the locker room hated McNown, knew he didn't know the playbook or the game plans, and had no respect for them, the game, or himself. 8 years later, Jauron is putting the game in the hands of another proven screw up QB, a game that is won if only he lets his OC make the call and simply be conservative. By the book, sure, it's an OK call; but, in practice it was a doomed and stupid choice.

The problem is you're putting your values on his actions. He's made it patently obvious that winning doesn't matter much to him over the last 49 years. Sure, he likes winning when lucky enough to catch lightning in his thimble.

Good insight. You're right. It's incomprehensible to me how someone in his situation, an aging NFL franchise owner, would be content to leave this Earth with a legacy of losing when he's got the resources at his disposal to go out a winner. Fair or not, I suspect future generations of football fans will remember Ralph Wilson as the penny pinching owner of a team that couldn't win the championship, not as a guy who built a fortune out of nothing.

Regards.....

I'm pretty sure that Ralph, who has managed the Bills personally for most of the past 49 years, doesn't see any "sub-standard management" at all. In fact, his tiny investment 49 years ago has grown approximately 3.2 million percent in value, say nothing of the sustained income he's had in the millions for decades. It's a veritable gold mine, a machine in the closet that prints money faster than anyone could possibly spend it. He got all that for a small investment and taking a chance on a small city in western NY state. That's not "sub-standard", that's f-ing genius. That's significantly better than his insurance business, which was extremely successful in its own right. His family is set for generations.

The problem is you're putting your values on his actions. He's made it patently obvious that winning doesn't matter much to him over the last 49 years. Sure, he likes winning when lucky enough to catch lightning in his thimble. Indeed, when he has taken a chance on "football administrative types" in the past, he has been burned or spurned. Tom Donahoe tried to centralize all the power to himself and the rest of the front office felt/was kept in the dark. Bill Polian was a big gamble at the time, an unknown from the outside, who had an offensive and abrasive personality (or a low threshold for incompetence). I'm sure enough time has passed and there were enough people in the building that Polian, the best football accident that ever happened to the Buffalo Bills, has been marginalized. We could go on. There were problems with Butler and AJ Smith, problems with Chuck Knox and the front office he brought in with him, problems with Saban on two different occasions, and even rumors of problem with Marv.

Theres Simply 2 senarios here...

Senario #1

Fire Dick and his staff...

Lets say Dicks contract was for 2M this year

His assistants (who are under contract) each make an average of $150k (minimum ??) X 20 is 3M more

Total contractual investment for 2009 in CURRENT coaches $5Million

Hire a reasonably priced coach at $2mil and add NEW assistants for 3Mil.

Total cost for firing DICK and staff and hiring a new unknown... $10 Million Dollars.... Thats THIS year only....

Senario #2

Keep Dick and his Staff...

Lose 3k Season tickets at average $400.00 each 900k

Quick math makes me understand why it is the way it is....

Problem TRULY is that Ralph was sooo worried about renewing DJ's contract on the cheap he made a bad mistake...

Let me know if my numbers are incorrect....

Good insight. You're right. It's incomprehensible to me how someone in his situation, an aging NFL franchise owner, would be content to leave this Earth with a legacy of losing when he's got the resources at his disposal to go out a winner. Fair or not, I suspect future generations of football fans will remember Ralph Wilson as the penny pinching owner of a team that couldn't win the championship, not as a guy who built a fortune out of nothing.

Regards.....

Well said. I'm done. Wilson has insulted all Bills fans with his latest move

Theres Simply 2 senarios here...

Senario #1

Fire Dick and his staff...

Lets say Dicks contract was for 2M this year

His assistants (who are under contract) each make an average of $150k (minimum ??) X 20 is 3M more

Total contractual investment for 2009 in CURRENT coaches $5Million

Hire a reasonably priced coach at $2mil and add NEW assistants for 3Mil.

Total cost for firing DICK and staff and hiring a new unknown... $10 Million Dollars.... Thats THIS year only....

Senario #2

Quick math makes me understand why it is the way it is....

Problem TRULY is that Ralph was sooo worried about renewing DJ's contract on the cheap he made a bad mistake...

Which just proves my point that Wilson is far more interested in the bottom line (business) than about winning football games, does it not?

Senario #2

Yeah, I'd say that bolded number is incorrect.

Did you see how many empty seats were at the Pats* game? And, otherwise, how many Pats* fans were at OBD?

Between the economy and the commitment to mediocrity, expect many more people not to renew.