Our Biggest problem On Offense

maverick544

I agree that we need a center. The bills need a better tight end and unfortunately a left end. I think that peters has played his last game as a bill. Hopefully they can get someone decent in a trade. We are golden at skill positions. They need some major help blocking though. Major help. But yes, I agree, it starts with the center.

Our Center!!!!!!!!!!!!

For us to be successful we need to pickup the Biggest, Baddest FA Center or Draft one!

Trent need better protection in the middle and Marshawn needs more room!

Your Thoughts?

Absolutely center. A pass cathing TE and a Possession Reciever.

( personally I want a new Qb as well but if we keep trent at starter for one more season the above should help him be succesful)

I think our Offensive coaching problems are so severe that's it's almost impossible to accurately determine if any specific player is a problem.

We have no offensive identity. The OC has zero situational awareness when calling plays. The blocking schemes are dysfunctional, to say it nicely. The coaches have no idea of how to use the personnel that are on the team. The QB rarely moves in the pocket to create passing lanes. They regularly play without tempo and in complete ignorance of the game clock. Basic NFL plays are almost completely absent from our playbook. Just to name a few problems off the top of my head.

We all spend so much time talking about this play or that playor about this player or that player; but when you watch the Bills play and almost any other team it is blatantly obvious that we don't have a professional NFL offense. Timing routes, play action, slants, offensive rhythm - when was the last time we saw a Bills' offense with any of those things? It would be embarrassing except that most of my friends don't watch the Bills play so they have no idea our truly inept our offense can be.

I think our Offensive coaching problems are so severe that's it's almost impossible to accurately determine if any specific player is a problem.

We have no offensive identity. The OC has zero situational awareness when calling plays. The blocking schemes are dysfunctional, to say it nicely. The coaches have no idea of how to use the personnel that are on the team. The QB rarely moves in the pocket to create passing lanes. They regularly play without tempo and in complete ignorance of the game clock. Basic NFL plays are almost completely absent from our playbook. Just to name a few problems off the top of my head.

We all spend so much time talking about this play or that playor about this player or that player; but when you watch the Bills play and almost any other team it is blatantly obvious that we don't have a professional NFL offense. Timing routes, play action, slants, offensive rhythm - when was the last time we saw a Bills' offense with any of those things? It would be embarrassing except that most of my friends don't watch the Bills play so they have no idea our truly inept our offense can be.

Excellent post!

Dead on.

Thanks ans4e64, lgb, & cantankerous.

I should probably add that I can't see next season being any different unless a HC and OC combo comes in that actually knows what a real NFL offense looks like AND has an actual idea of how to implement it. So, I'd say our biggest problem is the coaching - no shocker there. So, I'll hold off bashing any specific player until I see a new coaching staff trying to implement a professional offense.

yea that was a great post Dan...I'd also like to say that I dont think Peters will be traded like Corp000085 has stated...to often I've heard praise for Peters play by FO...but I dont think the FO forgets what happened this season with Peters...even not at 100% Peters is still better than bringing in a FA or draft pick..yes I realize Peters 2nd pro bowl nomination is gonna go to his head and hell most likely demand huge bucks, but, he still has 2 years left and if he doesnt go to every ota and training camp next season then Id say trade him in his last season...its 2 seasons left right?

While I agree with a lot of the coaching being the problem talk, the original question was except coaching.

Tight End It's killing me to see these other teams like the Fish and Chargers and Eagles throwing to good tight ends.

QB Please sign a FA or trade for a real QB I'm tired of baby sitting rookies

Matt Cassell is a FA. Anthony Wright would be better than what we've got and he's a FA also. Byron Leftwich is available. He looked good in relief for Big Ben earlier this year. A real QB and TE could change things dramatically.

While I agree with a lot of the coaching being the problem talk, the original question was except coaching.

Tight End It's killing me to see these other teams like the Fish and Chargers and Eagles throwing to good tight ends.

Matt Cassell is a FA. Anthony Wright would be better than what we've got and he's a FA also. Byron Leftwich is available. He looked good in relief for Big Ben earlier this year. A real QB and TE could change things dramatically.

thos comments dont make sense...matt cassel just played his first year of football ever...you are baseing his play on a Billicheat team...Cassel on any other team would look just as good or worse than Trent..I like Trent and I have no quams of going another year with him.

thos comments dont make sense...matt cassel just played his first year of football ever...you are baseing his play on a Billicheat team...Cassel on any other team would look just as good or worse than Trent..I like Trent and I have no quams of going another year with him.

This is hard to say w/o seeing Cassel play in another offense. The way he played this year has raised questions about whether or not Tom Brady is really that good...or if he's a product of a system.

Nevertheless, Cassel's agent is probably the happiest guy on the planet right now.

The problem with the QBs largely IS the lack of a quality TE. This offense hasn't been able to threaten the middle of a defense consistently for years, and as a result, it makes their passing game easy to defend. Not many QBs are going to have success when they have a good #1 WR, a #2 WR better suited to being a third WR, a punt returner playing in the slot, and a TE much better suited to flipping McBurgers than playing in the NFL. Until the Bills make committment to upgrading the targets their QBs have to throw to (not to mention the C position, at the least), any QB they put back there is going to look bad. A good receiving TE would go a long way to solving that problem, but based on the last decade or so, I doubt they're smart enough to figure this one out.

while our interior line could be better, since we can run the ball well on anyone i think the issue is more about our big play and scoring ability. we need a playmaker on O.

i agree about our OC, it really is just terrible.

As Dan pointed out its the Scheme. Fine or Shouman might be ok at TE assuming we can get an OC that can design a game plan, create opportunities for the playmakers, get creative inplay calling versus moving WR in motion to stop at the line showing the D that we are running. Our tendencies are too predictable and we do nothing to create mismatches. When was the last time we threw a slant, a WR screen, a flee flicker, a hitch and go. We have 2 very good backs and whomever is the next OC needs to figure out how to get them on the field at the same time similar to what Miami did this year.

We have a VERY boring Offense and a very boring HC.

That summarizes it nicely. The coaching was almost too inept to judge the quality of the players. I do believe we have some overrated o-linemen though.

That summarizes it nicely. The coaching was almost too inept to judge the quality of the players. I do believe we have some overrated o-linemen though.

Setting aside coaching which is obviously the root of the problem, our O-line is so fat and slow that they can't get downfield. Look at any long run this season and you'll see that it happened after the RB hit the line and bounced outside on his own. Pulls and pitches are not possible. A screen is a dream because the lineman have no chance to get downfield, and that includes Peters.

The Bills need to be careful replacing lineman because the best lines are those that have played together. I think they should replace center and also Dockery. Leave the other 3 in place. Changing more than 3 lineman will be disaster.

Our Biggest problem On Offense

Minus Coaching

I would like to see this team with good coaching to honestly be able to evaluate it. This is a very poorly coached team, maybe the worst coached in history(at least my history of watching). I have seen bad teams that lacked talent and they just plain sucked. But this team, while not SB caliber, is better than their record indicates. Yesterday, with the conditions as such, the two teams were as equal as can be talent wise and the Bills were just out coached. On a nice day, I think Cassel runs and passes all over the Bills. But yesterday, plain and simple, coaching was the difference.