So The AP Reports Ralph Wilson

BuffaloBaumer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I don't know why he hasn't had a better record," Wilson said. "He's a heck of a good guy.

okey dokie

The decision will be made shortly," Wilson said, referring to the yet to be scheduled meetings. He said he'll seek input from chief operating officer Russ Brandon and chief scout Tom Modrak, and added that Jauron will also attend the meetings

Wilson is also preparing to tinker with the power structure within his front office by providing Modrak a larger voice in football decisions by adding him to what the owner called, "the inner circle."

I knew there was an inner circle!

Wilson foresees a small committee of executives overseeing the franchise's daily operation.

"We're going to have a lot more communication between the top people," Wilson said. "One man's not going to be calling the shots."

Football by consensus.

linkage

I will not root for the team to lose. It is up to management to identify what is a real indicator of future results, versus a rare surprise. I can only BARELY envision the Bills winning this game, but even if they did it will only serve as the last game in Jauron's run of only 1 winning season in 8 tries. EVEN IF JAURON WERE KEPT AND HAD A WINNING SEASON NEXT YEAR......see Norv Turner. Losers with good teams lose. Losers with very good teams disappoint and that's all Bills fans have to look forward to with Jauron.

I really don't know what Jauron adds. There seems to be about 15-16 different things (almost of equal value that I can think of off the top of my head) that a head coach has to do to be successful in this league and he doesn't seem to be good at more than 1-2 of them.

1] Win a Super Bowl: Ha.

2] Win playoff games: Yet to sniff that.

3] Get to the playoffs so you have a chance at the title as anything can happen: Yet to have a decent shot at it.

4] Win games period so you have a shot at the playoffs. Have a winning record: He doesn't do that.

5] Hire good coordinators: He hasn't done that in three out of three tries.

6] Make good in-game decisions: He doesn't do that hardly at all.

7] Make good halftime adjustments: He doesn't seem to do that.

8] Prepare teams to play: We always start off very slow, although we do usually play hard for the duration.

9] Make good game plans on offense or defense: I have yet to see that except VERY sporadically.

10] Make decisive good decisions at the end of the game to get wins: He takes credit for all the bad ones. We have won games at the end in his tenure but I don't recall any great decisions he made to help us.

11] Make good challenges: He's terrible at that, although most of the time I don't blame that on a head coach.

12] Make good personnel decisions: A lot of examples of keeping Anthony Thomas over Fred Jackson... Our drafts and FA acquisitions have been marginal to decent since he got here.

13] Be the face of the franchise and deal with the media: The media loves him for being a great guy but he is boring as hell, never provides any real information, and won't really answer any questions. I don't give him high marks for that.

14] Get his players to buy into his system: He doesn't seem to have a system. We have no real identity as a team.

15] Win games you need to win, are supposed to win, or have no business losing against inferior teams: Nope.

16] Put your players in a good position to take advantage of their strengths: Doesnt seem to do that, especially on O

17] Get your players to play for you and run through a brick wall for you: He does seem to do that. They love him and want to win for him.

IMO, it's only a partial solution to involve Modrak more with personnel decisions. He obviously enjoys being Buffalo's chief scout, preferring to be away from OBD. I can't blame him for wanting to be away from the corporate environment and going on the road. But this talk of the inner-circle includes whom? Brandon, Wilson, and Jauron? If that's the case, no wonder they haven't done much right since 06. None of them are schooled in personnel like a pro or amateur scout is.

When RW refers to more power for Modrak, I have to believe it's because he's taking personnel control away from another person. I don't know who that could be at this point. If DJ remains, I think his opinion will carry weight, but not as much as these past three years. Regardless, trusting RB to make de facto personnel choices is tantamout to having your lawyer pick stocks for you.

I've never been a big fan of consensus. Sometimes, a leader has to do what they feel is right. And a good personnel man like Modrak who has been involved in scouting knows a good player from a bad one. I still think someone with football experience versed in building a winner should oversee Modrak and Guy.

IMO, it's only a partial solution to involve Modrak more with personnel decisions. He obviously enjoys being Buffalo's chief scout, preferring to be away from OBD. I can't blame him for wanting to be away from the corporate environment and going on the road. But this talk of the inner-circle includes whom? Brandon, Wilson, and Jauron? If that's the case, no wonder they haven't done much right since 06. None of them are schooled in personnel like a pro or amateur scout is.

When RW refers to more power for Modrak, I have to believe it's because he's taking personnel control away from another person. I don't know who that could be at this point. If DJ remains, I think his opinion will carry weight, but not as much as these past three years. Regardless, trusting RB to make de facto personnel choices is tantamout to having your lawyer pick stocks for you.

I've never been a big fan of consensus. Sometimes, a leader has to do what they feel is right. And a good personnel man like Modrak who has been involved in scouting knows a good player from a bad one. I still think someone with football experience versed in building a winner should oversee Modrak and Guy.

John Guy is a much bigger problem than Modrak or Brandon, IMO. The consensus thing is very likely not to going to work anyway with these guys. Modrak is probably the only one out of all five (Modrak, Guy, Brandon, Jauron, Wilson) that has any amount of respect around the league as far as being able to recognize talent.

Modrak has a reputation in the scouting community as LAZY. He's not out on the road. He's not at OBD. He is at home, making decisions he should be formulating in person. He has an eye for talent, but it's long been known he doesn't want to be a GM and football is not life and death for him. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he decided to retire at the news that Ralph wants him to do more work. In such a competitive league that's a disadvantage for the Bills.

Who could be losing power in favor of Modrak? Probably John Guy. He absolutely sucks at his job. That first crop of free agents he directed Marv into signing was a complete and utter failure. This team does not find talent that other teams give up on and turn it into a positive for this franchise. When Donahoe was dismissed, this guy got a much greater say in free agent signings and his work has been nothing short of putrid.

Now that we know this, I would not be surprised if his time here depends on a victory against New England. Maybe Ralph wants to see how Richard is going to prove to him that he can FINALLY beat NE (without Brady).

How many people here would like a loss to NE if it means a new coaching staff. I, for one, was very excited to see the players happy yesterday but if this next game means a chance for Dick to continue his losing ways in another city, I am all for it. Spare me all the "you call yourself a real fan" as well.

I saw Jauron lose, lose and lose in Chicago and now I see it here. I will sacrifice one meaningless game for the future of this team!! Isn't it obvious that players like playing for this guy because he NEVER holds anyone accountable. Nobody is scared for their job...

I always root for the Bills to win, regardless of anything else going on. Even if they were 0-15 and playing Detroit for the number one pick, I would root for the Bills to get the second choice.

But once again Ralph Wilson opens his mouth, and his loyal fans are left to wonder about his thought processes. 7-9-0, 7-9-0, and (most likely) 7-9-0, and Wilson needs more meetings, with DJ sitting in no less, to decide if this pathetic below average, 3 year record is good enough to retain Dickt. The same season Parcells walks into Miami as Team Dictator and they go from 1-15-0 to (most likley) 11-5-0 in less then one full year, with a coach nobody had ever heard of before. On top of that, Wilson tells us that he will be rewarding Tom Modrak, left over from Donahoe's sad 5 years in charge, by making him Vice President, Inner Circle. And if that isn't bad enough, even if Modrak tries to make good football decisions with his new position "inside the loop of power", Wilson also said that no one man will be in charge. So Modrak can always get overruled by Wilson, Littman and / or Brandon.

Add this interview up and as insane as this seems for season ticket renewals, it looks like everything stays about the same as we "prepare" for another draft with the number 9 to 16 pick in the first round - yet again!! :lol::lol:

:worthy::worthy::worthy: :worthy:

Now that we know this, I would not be surprised if his time here depends on a victory against New England. Maybe Ralph wants to see how Richard is going to prove to him that he can FINALLY beat NE (without Brady).

How many people here would like a loss to NE if it means a new coaching staff. I, for one, was very excited to see the players happy yesterday but if this next game means a chance for Dick to continue his losing ways in another city, I am all for it. Spare me all the "you call yourself a real fan" as well.

I saw Jauron lose, lose and lose in Chicago and now I see it here. I will sacrifice one meaningless game for the future of this team!! Isn't it obvious that players like playing for this guy because he NEVER holds anyone accountable. Nobody is scared for their job...

I, for one, will never root for Buffalo to lose, meaningless or not.

Well...He's going to be even less happy when He sees those ticket Sales plummet...Between the Economy and the distain for Dead Dick I'm wondering how bad it's going to get...It will not be good if Jauron stays, and you can bet your bottom dollar that Brandon will tell Ralph as much in no uncertain terms...

I'm cancelling My NFL Package if Jauron returns...I just can't take this garbage from a HC who is a proven loser any longer...I figure if I'm going to cancel My NFL Package, something I never thought I would do in a million Years, then LOTS of Folks in Buffalo are going to stay away from Stadium...I know it's an assumption, but I have to figure a ton of Bills Fans are pretty fed up... :lol:

you're not alone - I am planning on doing the same thing if DJ is retained, and I have NEVER considered cancelling my NFL Direct Ticket before. I was disgusted with RW & DJ, now I am borderline apathetic.

I have lived in ATL for 18 years and have managed to go to at least one game at the Ralph every year. I will not spend another dime on this team with the current regime in place.

I really don't know what Jauron adds. There seems to be about 15-16 different things (almost of equal value that I can think of off the top of my head) that a head coach has to do to be successful in this league and he doesn't seem to be good at more than 1-2 of them.

1] Win a Super Bowl: Ha.

2] Win playoff games: Yet to sniff that.

3] Get to the playoffs so you have a chance at the title as anything can happen: Yet to have a decent shot at it.

4] Win games period so you have a shot at the playoffs. Have a winning record: He doesn't do that.

5] Hire good coordinators: He hasn't done that in three out of three tries.

6] Make good in-game decisions: He doesn't do that hardly at all.

7] Make good halftime adjustments: He doesn't seem to do that.

8] Prepare teams to play: We always start off very slow, although we do usually play hard for the duration.

9] Make good game plans on offense or defense: I have yet to see that except VERY sporadically.

10] Make decisive good decisions at the end of the game to get wins: He takes credit for all the bad ones. We have won games at the end in his tenure but I don't recall any great decisions he made to help us.

11] Make good challenges: He's terrible at that, although most of the time I don't blame that on a head coach.

12] Make good personnel decisions: A lot of examples of keeping Anthony Thomas over Fred Jackson... Our drafts and FA acquisitions have been marginal to decent since he got here.

13] Be the face of the franchise and deal with the media: The media loves him for being a great guy but he is boring as hell, never provides any real information, and won't really answer any questions. I don't give him high marks for that.

14] Get his players to buy into his system: He doesn't seem to have a system. We have no real identity as a team.

15] Win games you need to win, are supposed to win, or have no business losing against inferior teams: Nope.

16] Put your players in a good position to take advantage of their strengths: Doesnt seem to do that, especially on O

17] Get your players to play for you and run through a brick wall for you: He does seem to do that. They love him and want to win for him.

Yeah, he's just not good, and anything short of very good in this league gets it's ass beaten more times than not.

But with regard to #17, I think it is less important to get your players to play hard on gameday than it is to have them motivated to succeed. These guys play hard on Sunday, but what they don't do the other 350 days per year is netting losses on the other days.

Jauron lacks in a lot of areas, but the most damning is his inability to maximize it's talent the way Sparano has done by keeping them sharp and motivated.

Modrak has a reputation in the scouting community as LAZY. He's not out on the road. He's not at OBD. He is at home, making decisions he should be formulating in person. He has an eye for talent, but it's long been known he doesn't want to be a GM and football is not life and death for him. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he decided to retire at the news that Ralph wants him to do more work. In such a competitive league that's a disadvantage for the Bills.

Who could be losing power in favor of Modrak? Probably John Guy. He absolutely sucks at his job. That first crop of free agents he directed Marv into signing was a complete and utter failure. This team does not find talent that other teams give up on and turn it into a positive for this franchise. When Donahoe was dismissed, this guy got a much greater say in free agent signings and his work has been nothing short of putrid.

That's very disconcerting re: Modrak, and perhaps an attempt to get rid of a guy who refuses a promotion. I know from a military perspective that people who ducked responsibility weren't the types I cared for. Chief scout ad infinitum is not what this team needs right now. Three years after TD was axed, it's not a legit excuse to say he didn't want to take the job a friend of his was fired from.

I'll hold out hope the Bills are looking for a GM, but with RW's comments it's not likely. I figure they'll just repackage their current regime and reinvent themselves like a football version of an aging rock star. The song remains the same though and we all know it. If Guy swayed RB, DJ, or Marv at all, he should be fired. Of course they promoted him to ensure "continuity" which is fast becoming the great buzzword on this board and at OBD. Unfortunately, it's as substantive as change and hope are.

Everything that's gone wrong in this organization, as you know, can be traced back to the lack of front office talent. Lack of decision makers, lack of preparation, and a desire to select luxuries as opposed to BPA at a position of need. It's why we're still mediocre after all these years.

I could care less about Jauron. I just want to see the bills win. They helped spoil the Broncos chances for a playoff spot. Now, I would love nothing more than for the Bills to go out with a win and spoiler against the Pats.

That's very disconcerting re: Modrak, and perhaps an attempt to get rid of a guy who refuses a promotion. I know from a military perspective that people who ducked responsibility weren't the types I cared for. Chief scout ad infinitum is not what this team needs right now. Three years after TD was axed, it's not a legit excuse to say he didn't want to take the job a friend of his was fired from.

Everything that's gone wrong in this organization, as you know, can be traced back to the lack of front office talent. Lack of decision makers, lack of preparation, and a desire to select luxuries as opposed to BPA at a position of need. It's why we're still mediocre after all these years.

It was somewhat acceptable that Modrak wasn't 100% committed to the job when Donahoe was here to be the guy. He was just another set of eyes for a guy who had already pissed a drop in the NFL. Now, it's just a f*cked up, disfunctional situation.

i can only hope that by this story coming out,it means jauron is gone.every story was how he signed his contract and that ralph would honor it.we have never heard a peep of ralph not being in jauron's corner.for this story to come out now,and after a win means hopefully jauron is GOOOONE! go bills in"09

I will not root for the team to lose. It is up to management to identify what is a real indicator of future results, versus a rare surprise. I can only BARELY envision the Bills winning this game, but even if they did it will only serve as the last game in Jauron's run of only 1 winning season in 8 tries. EVEN IF JAURON WERE KEPT AND HAD A WINNING SEASON NEXT YEAR......see Norv Turner. Losers with good teams lose. Losers with very good teams disappoint and that's all Bills fans have to look forward to with Jauron.

I will not root for the Bills to lose, but I won't be SAD if they do. If Dick can get this team to beat the Pats* who are fighting for the playoffs maybe he deserves another year.........I don't think it will happen.

FWIW, two weeks ago, on GR, when John Clayton was asked if he thought Jauron would be back, he said yes. The next week however, he wasn't as positive...he seemed to indicate that he had heard things in the last week, to lead him to believe that Ralph might have something else in the works...I kind of took Ralphs' comments in the Wawrow article as an indication that Jauron may not be as safe as I thought he was. Even if he 90 years old, and set in his ways, Ralph is well aware of the negative impact that bringing Jauron back may have on his bottom line. If he was set on bringing Jauron back, despite all the negativity, this week, coming off a nice road win, against a decent opponenet would likely be as good a time as there will be, to spring this on the faithful. How will it sound, if the Bills get drilled again by the Pats next week?