Brady or Cassel?

My Dad came up this idea while we watching football today.

He thinks that the Pats* will Franchise Matt Cassell during the offseason.

He then thinks that both Cassell AND Tom Brady will be on the Trading block and whichever QB gets the best offer will be traded.

My brother thinks that nobody is buying Cassell, and therefore that this cannot happen because the Pats* can't afford to pay Cassell that kind of money to do nothing. The rebuttle here is that the Pats* are really trying to move Brady for a rediculous offer i.e. 1st rd Pick for the next couple of years plus a premium player and probably some middle round picks too.

I think (and my Dad) that Belicheat is crazy enough to do it (trade brady) and thinks he can plug anybody into his system and get success. Cassel has won 10 games and has the pats* on the verge of a playoff trip when everyone counted them out. He has had back to back 400 yard games this year and he threw for 345 in the snow today. Somebody would make an offer for Cassel as well IMO. Plus the pats* have pulled of trades like this before (Deion Branch comes to mind)

Is Belicheat that arrogant and heartless to sell Brady after all that they have accomplished together?

Thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He then thinks that both Cassell AND Tom Brady will be on the Trading block and whichever QB gets the best offer will be traded.

My brother thinks that nobody is buying Cassell, and therefore that this cannot happen because the Pats* can't afford to pay Cassell that kind of money to do nothing. The rebuttle here is that the Pats* are really trying to move Brady for a rediculous offer i.e. 1st rd Pick for the next couple of years plus a premium player and probably some middle round picks too.

I think (and my Dad) that Belicheat is crazy enough to do it (trade brady) and thinks he can plug anybody into his system and get success. Cassel has won 10 games and has the pats* on the verge of a playoff trip when everyone counted them out. He has had back to back 400 yard games this year and he threw for 345 in the snow today. Somebody would make an offer for Cassel as well IMO. Plus the pats* have pulled of trades like this before (Deion Branch comes to mind)

Is Belicheat that arrogant and heartless to sell Brady after all that they have accomplished together?

Thoughts?

no way you trade Brady. Crazy.

The Pats won't be able to trade Brady because of his pricetag (salary plus 1st round pick), because he's coming off a complicated surgery, and if they're trying to trade him, obviously there must be something wrong with him. If they franchise Cassel, no one is going to give him franchise-type money (which is what his agent will demand), much less trade a 1st rounder. He's not a top-10 QB, much less a top-5 QB.

They won't franchise Cassel. It would be way too risky.

If they did, every team would just wait it out because the Pats would KILL their cap having to commit over 30+ Million in QB position alone. They would have to cut Cassel in camp most likely and then teams could bid on him without the fear of losing a pick.

The Pats might THREATEN to tag him, but they won't ever actually do it and I doubt any NFL GM would fall for the bait.

They'll keep Brady and i think they'll try to trade Cassel to a team weak in the QB spot.

It's too much of a risk to slap the franchise tag on Cassel. If no one bites then they are on the hook for 14 million for their back-up QB. If this was going to happen, they would have been better off if it happened a year ago. But that may have been a moot point because I doubt that Cassel has this much success against a tougher schedule.

The Pats won't be able to trade Brady because of his pricetag (salary plus 1st round pick) and because he's coming off a complicated surgery, and if they're trying to trade him, obviously there must be something wrong witi him. If they franchise Cassel, no one is going to give him franchise-type money, much less trade a 1st rounder. He's not a top-10 QB, much less a top-5 QB.

On the surface, this would be the only reason Brady is traded. It's very possible that he won't the same QB after this injury, not to mention, we know the healing process was having setbacks earlier this year.

That said, I don't think it'll happen, but I also think Belichick is arrogant and crazy enough to do it.

I can see it now....Favre retires, then unretires again, but signs with the Vikings only after Brady ends up being traded to the Jets for their 1st in 2009 & 2010. :angry:

Would the Pats trade Brady? Thats the big debate we're having... My dad and I think that Belicheck is arrogant enough to trade Tom Brady and move forward with Matt Cassell... Digest that and get back to me...

I seriously think he is arrogant enough to do it.

I don't know if he will, but keep it on the radar.

Thoughts?

Listen, I hate Brady with the best of them. But if I were a pats fan, let me see Cassell produce in the playoffs and in the super bowl to the level that Brady has before we trade him away.

If someone is going to offer 3 1st round picks or whatever kind of absurd package, then the Pats would almost have to consider that deal.

As a Bills fan, I would sacrifice our 3 next 1st round picks for a P. Manning or Brady. Instant playoffs for the next 5 years.

The Patriots have won 3 rings and came close to a 4th last year (not to mention a perfect regular season) with Brady. Unless they somehow MAKE the playoffs and at least make the AFC championship game, I can't see any way that they could even think about dumping Brady. I think the Pats miss out on the playoffs, Cassel goes somewhere for big $ next year and is average, and Brady is back in action next year.

That's what sucks even more about our collapse this year. Everything was right there for us to step up and become great competition for the division crown and we blew it. Even if we made the playoffs and lost 1st round, we still would have to be respected next year. Instead, we've made no progress and appear to be the "same 'ol Bills". Throw in the turnaround of the Fish and Jets and it adds salt to the wound.

On the FA Market he does, but we're saying the Pats* FRANCHISE him so that he doesn't walk for free...

If they "FRANCHISE" him, they w/b on the hook for aprox $20-25 mil of their salary cap AT ONE POSITION! Then, of course you would trade the QB, Brady, that has absolutely made the Cheatriots what they are, which is the dominant team in the league for, I don't know, the past 5-6 years? Yea, this is a really well thought out plan. Now, they might TRANSITION him, allowing them to get something for him (Cassel) when he leaves. But leave he will. Bank on it.