Brady or Cassel?

If the Pats* traded for a #1 pick, they would likely deal that for more picks, or a player and picks.

No one wants to trade for the 1st overall pick anymore, for the reason Pneumonic mentioned: too much money for an unproven player. That's why the pick hasn't been traded in 4 years now and probably won't ever again.

And if the Lions COULD trade it, why not keep it, trade down a few spots (none of the teams in the top-7 will be looking for a QB), get Bradford for a lot less and another pick?

No one wants to trade for the 1st overall pick anymore, for the reason Pneumonic mentioned: too much money for an unproven player. That's why the pick hasn't been traded in 4 years now and probably won't ever again.

And if the Lions COULD trade it, why not keep it, trade down a few spots (none of the teams in the top-7 will be looking for a QB), get Bradford for a lot less and another pick?

I can agree with the bolded portion (but, I would bet it DOES happen again, at some point). What the Pats* could do, in that scenario is trade for several picks, including a 2nd rounder, and maybe next year's 2nd.

As for why wouldn't the Lions simply draft Bradford, that has been covered. Bradford is a total unknown NFL commidty Even if he turns out to be good, it is likely he wouldn't contribute (positively) for a couple of years.

Casel has not only proven his ability to play, he is a 4th year guy, who will be an instant upgrade, and be entering his prime soon. The Lions need some immediate impact. You can't count on a rookie for that.

I don't think they'd get any where near that much as while teams may be willing to make the trade as they get exclusive rights with him, they also no NE can't keep bot hand are forced to make a trade, so the value goes down. I also believe that betwen the time they franchise him and trade him, NE is one the hook for that much money and that would count agaisnt the cap, thus preventing them from signing other FA, or making other moves. I know even during off season, you can't be over the cap for any given day.

The Pats will tag Cassell knowing that they'll have as many as 10 serious suitors for Cassell's services. With so many teams in dire need of a top QB the Pats won't have to worry about having all of them "wait them out". You'll see a bunch of QB needy (read lousy and unattractive to play for) teams jumping up to the head of the line so that they don't miss out on the opportunity of getting hold of Cassell before he's free and clear to sign with more attractive teams.

My guess is the Pats will trade Cassell to the Lions for the #1 overall pick in the 2009 draft. Or some combo of similar value spread out over a couple years

If you are the Lions and are thinking about taking either QB Bradford or Stafford 1st overall and then paying one of them the money that the 1st overall gets (ie. 6 years, $70 million, with $35 million in guarantees) then you'd be crazy not to jump all over an already proven, very good and experienced NFL QB like Cassell instead of taking a huge gamble on an unproven college kid who will not likely pay dividends for some time. Cassell will step in and start and be a top QB right away. Very few rookie QB's do so.

I don't think they'd get any where near that much as while teams may be willing to make the trade as they get exclusive rights with him, they also no NE can't keep bot hand are forced to make a trade, so the value goes down. I also believe that betwen the time they franchise him and trade him, NE is one the hook for that much money and that would count agaisnt the cap, thus preventing them from signing other FA, or making other moves. I know even during off season, you can't be over the cap for any given day.

Hi, Ed.

I read that the Pats will be under the cap by as much as $25 million next year without any critical internal free agents to have to worry about re-signing. Further, I believe Belicheck will use the questionable status of Brady due to his injury as justification to any possible interested team that the Pats will keep Cassel in case Brady can't go. I suspect Belichek will use this leverage even though he may know that Brady is good to go in order to maximize Cassel's trade value. The Pats are masters at playing the this game and will maximize their return on Cassel.

And with so many teams in desperate need of a top calibre QB the offers for Cassel should be many.

i mean think about it- belichek has already turned a total nobody in brady into a hall-of-famer, and turned another nobody in cassel into a soon-to-be multi-multi-millionaire. do you think there is ANY doubt in his mind that he can't just draft another nobody and win 11 or 12 games with him whenever he needs to?

We will soon enough see the Kevin O'Connell experiment...executed to perfection.

http://www.nfl.com/players/kevino'conn...le?id=OCO193317

They will NOT trade away Tom Brady, but they will let Matt Cassel walk. Cassel is the next Matt Schaub...a backup who got a shot to prove himself, did so, went to be the savior of another team, and let everybody down while failing to meet and live up to the expectations set for him. Brady will go on for another year or two in New England, but he will slip and lose a little bit due to his injury. By then, O'Connell will be ready to step in, so Brady can be cut loose (ala Bledsoe/Brady). Or, they will somehow find another "Gem" in the draft this year or next, groom him and replace Brady with that player. I certainly would NOT put it past them to pull off something crazy on draft day this year.

*Wasn't Kevin O'Connell a 3rd Round Draft Pick?

My Dad came up this idea while we watching football today.

He thinks that the Pats* will Franchise Matt Cassell during the offseason.

He then thinks that both Cassell AND Tom Brady will be on the Trading block and whichever QB gets the best offer will be traded.

My brother thinks that nobody is buying Cassell, and therefore that this cannot happen because the Pats* can't afford to pay Cassell that kind of money to do nothing. The rebuttle here is that the Pats* are really trying to move Brady for a rediculous offer i.e. 1st rd Pick for the next couple of years plus a premium player and probably some middle round picks too.

I think (and my Dad) that Belicheat is crazy enough to do it (trade brady) and thinks he can plug anybody into his system and get success. Cassel has won 10 games and has the pats* on the verge of a playoff trip when everyone counted them out. He has had back to back 400 yard games this year and he threw for 345 in the snow today. Somebody would make an offer for Cassel as well IMO. Plus the pats* have pulled of trades like this before (Deion Branch comes to mind)

Is Belicheat that arrogant and heartless to sell Brady after all that they have accomplished together?

Thoughts?

Please God let the Bills trade for Brady

My Dad came up this idea while we watching football today.

He thinks that the Pats* will Franchise Matt Cassell during the offseason.

He then thinks that both Cassell AND Tom Brady will be on the Trading block and whichever QB gets the best offer will be traded.

My brother thinks that nobody is buying Cassell, and therefore that this cannot happen because the Pats* can't afford to pay Cassell that kind of money to do nothing. The rebuttle here is that the Pats* are really trying to move Brady for a rediculous offer i.e. 1st rd Pick for the next couple of years plus a premium player and probably some middle round picks too.

I think (and my Dad) that Belicheat is crazy enough to do it (trade brady) and thinks he can plug anybody into his system and get success. Cassel has won 10 games and has the pats* on the verge of a playoff trip when everyone counted them out. He has had back to back 400 yard games this year and he threw for 345 in the snow today. Somebody would make an offer for Cassel as well IMO. Plus the pats* have pulled of trades like this before (Deion Branch comes to mind)

Is Belicheat that arrogant and heartless to sell Brady after all that they have accomplished together?

Thoughts?

There's where i stopped taking this seriously. Haha.

Cassel is good, but not Tom Brady good.

Which is...between the 2nd and 3rd highest-paid QB's.

Actually, that would be the median salary...but, close enough. (That same mistake is in a quote in my sig.)

Why would the Pats* have to franchise Cassel? Wouldn't it be easier to trade him (and wouldn't they get a better deal) if he was still under his current contract? He has at least one year left, right?

Why is it crazy to think the Pats would keep Cassle and trade Brady?

They did it to Bledsoe and in doing so sent him to the Bills!

Heres the top reasons they will trade Brady...

Cassel has won 11 games (im including the Bills next week)

Cassel is 385 yards away from throwing for 4000 yards this year (i bet he gets it against Bills)

Pats realize that it can take another year for Brady to recover

Brady is 32 Cassel is 26

Cassel is more mobile

The salary savings can be spent on 2 good linebackers.

2 first round picks.... This is what Brady will attract. (Gruden would prolly give that and more)

Overall the upside is fantastic for Cassel... Belidick would really fine tume him in camp next year.

Trust me Brady is GONE!

Cassel is 385 yards away from throwing for 4000 yards this year (i bet he gets it against Bills)

Brady is 32 Cassel is 26

Cassel is more mobile

2 first round picks.... This is what Brady will attract. (Gruden would prolly give that and more)

Overall the upside is fantastic for Cassel... Belidick would really fine tume him in camp next year.

Trust me Brady is GONE!

Your logic is compelling, but there is one problem with it: Brady has led the Pats to 3 SB Championships, and he is only 32 years old, not 39 like Favre. Not even Belichick is arrogant enough to choose Cassel over Brady, for at least another 3 years.

Actually, that would be the median salary...but, close enough. (That same mistake is in a quote in my sig.)

I took the top-5 salaries and the mean is actually between the 2nd and 3rd salary.

Why would the Pats* have to franchise Cassel? Wouldn't it be easier to trade him (and wouldn't they get a better deal) if he was still under his current contract? He has at least one year left, right?

He's an UFA at the end of this season. They either franchise or transition tag him, or he's gone.

I took the top-5 salaries and the mean is actually between the 2nd and 3rd salary.

He's an UFA at the end of this season. They either franchise or transition tag him, or he's gone.

I thought he was signed through 2009. My bad. Also, I gotcha on the salary.

We still don't know how long it is going to take Brady to come back from that knee injury. He may NEVER be the player he once was. Thus, I suspect that the Patriots will try to do everything in their power to try to keep BOTH QBs. (Think the 49ers after the 1990 season, when Joe Montana was nursing an injury -- and Steve Young was the unproven, healthy alternative.)

Even if Cassell does make it to free agency, it will be interesting to see how much serious interest there is in him. The New England machine has been grand in recent years with BB able to plug in spare parts as needed. This could deter other teams fearful of making a Scott Mitchell or Rob Johnson type signing.

• 1 month later...

Brady is 32 Cassel is 26

Cassel is more mobile

Trust me Brady is GONE!

You may be right. Brady is about two years older today than Bledsoe was when they traded him. If someone was to make a monster offer for Brady, I could see Belichick pulling the trigger.

Here is the difference, Matt Schwab Started in 3 games, Rob Johnson in 2 games. Then teams went crazy to get these guys. Matt Cassel started 15 games and played in a 16th. He became much better as the season progressed and had 2 400 games. At the end of the season he was playing at a top 5 level. Whether he can do it again next season is up to debate. If BB thinks he is better off with Cassel then he will ask Brady if he would like to be traded. Here is the kicker, if there is no CBA next season and there is no cap in 2010 then Cassel becomes a RFA because he will have less than 6 years. So they franchise him this season, if Brady is Brady then they trade Cassel. If Brady is not ready ,they keep him for the next year. If he plays well and Brady can no longer go they have the QB of the future. If there is no CBA then they will not have to franchise him in 2010. This sounds like they know what they want to do and are protecting themselves.

This is what good FOs do, they think ahead. They may have to eat 14 mill this year on Cassel but not next year. And if they are convinced that Brady will be back and ready they may get a couple of good draft picks on a guy who was picked in the 7th round. I could see the Lions trading their 20th or Minny their 22nd for him