Rebuild?

Bflojohn

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Name one player...just ONE...on this roster that would go to another team and be an instant nightmare to the rest of the NFL. Maybe Evans, maybe. Lynch? For all his tough running, he's just not a home-run threat. Roscoe? McKelvin? I think the list stops there.

I think our offense needs a WR, TE & C. It would be great if we could land Greg Jennings or another top caliber WR in Free Agency. Lee Evans needs help, but IMO he's a #2 receiver, not a #1. Evans hasn't been able to put up consistent numbers every week. The last 2 weeks, Reed has been our most productive receiver. Parrish has been dropping a bunch of passes since his thumb surgery, so the Bills should keep him on special teams. A great scenario would be #1 WR Jennings, #2 WR Evans, #3 Reed, #4 Steve Johnson. Maybe with Hardy going on IR with an ACL injury, the Bills FO might actively look for a WR. I also hope the Bills FO get at least 1 better DE, if not, our pass rush will be a joke again next season even with Schobel back in the line up.

Am I the only one who remembers watching "Linebacker Jesus" Laurinitis get ABUSED by superior athletes in the past two national championship games? Or against Texas or USC?

We've already got one over-matched, over-hyped Big Ten linebacker on the roster, we don't need another. Curry, Maualuga and even Spikes are much better options. I'd kick the tires on Orakpo...

I think our offense needs a WR, TE & C. It would be great if we could land Greg Jennings or another top caliber WR in Free Agency. Lee Evans needs help, but IMO he's a #2 receiver, not a #1. Evans hasn't been able to put up consistent numbers every week. The last 2 weeks, Reed has been our most productive receiver. Parrish has been dropping a bunch of passes since his thumb surgery, so the Bills should keep him on special teams. A great scenario would be #1 WR Jennings, #2 WR Evans, #3 Reed, #4 Steve Johnson. Maybe with Hardy going on IR with an ACL injury, the Bills FO might actively look for a WR. I also hope the Bills FO get at least 1 better DE, if not, our pass rush will be a joke again next season even with Schobel back in the line up.

Would you take TJ Houshwhatever instead of Jennings? You gotta think Jennings would get franchised or - if not franchised - would cost a good deal more than TJ. Do we need to pay for TWO top flight WR's? Or is what we have sufficient with money better spent on the lines, LB, safeties, etc.

almost every decent playoff caliber team in this league has a 1A receiver. The Bills need that. It would make Trent better and it would make a Schouman/Fine TE combo better. They need to procure one of the top FA WR's this year.

In addition, a C is needed who can contribute within the next two years, and have upside for beyond that time. I really like the dude from Alabama.

We need a good pass rushing DE, either top flite from the draft, or if not, FA.

I believe if its the right personnel, this team can make Jauron look very good.

Would you take TJ Houshwhatever instead of Jennings? You gotta think Jennings would get franchised or - if not franchised - would cost a good deal more than TJ. Do we need to pay for TWO top flight WR's? Or is what we have sufficient with money better spent on the lines, LB, safeties, etc.

I'd take TJ Hoosyourmomma if we couldn't get Jennings. Our WR's are not getting the job done right now, which is why we need another weapon. Evans can't shake the double-teams and doesn't have the size to. (and yes, Steve Smith is 5'9", but he's an exception).

We definitely dont need to rebuild. We have a great up and coming core of talent with a potential Pro Bowl player at every key position. With the addition of a few key additions. I disagree with with Wilson, its not the players its the coaching. My only hope is that Brandon the marketing genius realizes that if he keeps the coach he must spend in free agency to keep the fans interest.

Pro Bowl Caliber players

Offensive Line - Peters

RB - Lynch

QB - Edwards

WR - Evans

TE - Winslow ( free agency )

D line - Stroud

LB - Poz - Peterson ( free agency )

DB - McCelvin

S - Whitner

Add Peterson and draft Orapko and we have a the makings of a great defense. I think the Oline will continue to improve and have played well this year. We need another threat and Winslow gives us that. He needs a change of scenery and is a talent.

I agree there is some good young talent on this team, but Pro Bowlers? Maybe Evans, Stroud, Lynch and Whitner have the potential in the near future. The others haven't come close yet-although anything is possible. If they ever signed Winslow, I might boycott them, who wants a trouble maker disrupting the clubhouse and taking shots at teammates and coaches. That would be a major mistake to bring him in, which is why they won't, same as Shockey last year.

Whoever suggested Edwards, Posluszny and Whitner are Pro Bowl caliber is high as a kite.

I haven't heard a dumber notion on TBD in a while, and that's saying a lot. None of the three have shown ANYTHING worth suggesting they even have Pro Bowl POTENTIAL. Edwards' early season? Nice... but he fell apart, got hurt again. Posluszny and Whitner? Has either made a significant play all season? For Whitner, we're going on several years here.

There is very little impact talent on the roster. The sooner some of you quit looking through Bills-colored glasses and realize that, the better. This team needs HELP.

Yes. Name one player...just ONE...on this roster that would go to another team and be an instant nightmare to the rest of the NFL. Maybe Evans, maybe. Lynch? For all his tough running, he's just not a home-run threat. Roscoe? McKelvin? I think the list stops there.

If the list is the one you gave and there are 4 Bills scoring threats that would need to be game planned by an opponent for and they would have nightmares about doing this, that strikes me as a pretty good list.

How many opponents would we face who we would judge us as having four threats we may have no answer for.

Not many opponents.

The problem I see is that we simply do not employ the threats we do have well for the talents they have.

Of these four, I think Evans clearly is far more of a threat than the non-use we have put him to. Parrish also has shown some talent as a #3 WR which he has showed as a PR guy, but we have not used him well at all in the passing game.

Lynch, I agree has not shown break-away threat ability, but the awe expressed by the TV guys on Sunday if his refusing to be tackled was real and the Bills braintrust has also not utilized him consistently with the ability he has demonstrated.

One can always use more talent but the Bills problem is how the talent they have is non-utilized. The big talent problem they have is there is no playmaker leader on the D as Whitner has not become the Polamalu/Sanders we want, nor is Pos the TKO (or even the London Fletcher) we want, and the DL has not generated the fear you are looking for.

Nope, Lane is a RB, well, supposedly a RB. He had been benched somewhat this year for lack of performance, and has been at odds with A&M coaches.

I wouldn't touch him.

I also would grab Jermaine Gresham with that 2nd 1st round pick, and hit up the best overall O-lineman in the 2nd round.

What are your thoughts on Orakpo?

He looks like a beast at times, but disappears at times to me. I'm also slightly worried about his injury as I never heard (or bothered to look up) exactly what and how serious it was.

He's also a UT guy which makes me skeptical (which may or may not be fair) about how he'll do in the pros.

What are your thoughts on Orakpo?

He looks like a beast at times, but disappears at times to me. I'm also slightly worried about his injury as I never heard (or bothered to look up) exactly what and how serious it was.

He's also a UT guy which makes me skeptical (which may or may not be fair) about how he'll do in the pros.

Rak seems to have his head screwed on right. Since he started here, he has lived in the weight room, adding all sorts of muscle and what not. Here's an article on him in high school: http://insidetexas.com/news/story.php?article=634

He was tiny when he got to UT, and while he's put on a ton of weight, he's still not huge (6'3" 255). However, he's athletic as all hell. He's fast, and still somewhat strong, although not as strong as you'd like for the NFL, I think he'll be ok.

He's a heckuva pass rusher, and he reads defenses well, knowing when to stay at home. He has all the moves in the book, and can defend the run too.

He does seem to not be a force at times, but when you leave him one-on-one or with less blockers, he'll dominate. Looka t what he did to Loadholt in the Red River Shootout to understand how good the guy is.

The key will be seeing exactly how fast he runs in the combine and how strong he really is.

I think he's without a doubt a first-round talent easy; if I had to guess, I'd peg his value at #10 or so. He's a great player who will bring some pass rush to a team.

Rak seems to have his head screwed on right. Since he started here, he has lived in the weight room, adding all sorts of muscle and what not. Here's an article on him in high school: http://insidetexas.com/news/story.php?article=634

He was tiny when he got to UT, and while he's put on a ton of weight, he's still not huge (6'3" 255). However, he's athletic as all hell. He's fast, and still somewhat strong, although not as strong as you'd like for the NFL, I think he'll be ok.

He's a heckuva pass rusher, and he reads defenses well, knowing when to stay at home. He has all the moves in the book, and can defend the run too.

He does seem to not be a force at times, but when you leave him one-on-one or with less blockers, he'll dominate. Looka t what he did to Loadholt in the Red River Shootout to understand how good the guy is.

The key will be seeing exactly how fast he runs in the combine and how strong he really is.

I think he's without a doubt a first-round talent easy; if I had to guess, I'd peg his value at #10 or so. He's a great player who will bring some pass rush to a team.

My mouth is watering. Sounds like just what this defense needs.

I put Butler, Walker, Preston, Fowler, Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, Parrish and Jackson all on the trading block, and try to move up from any of our positions or to stockpile picks. Sure, we may get nothing for some of those players, but we can see if teams look.

We have to find a common thread on the offensive line, and as I have said so many times, focus on athleticism- if Lynch is one cut and downhill, he will be one of the top backs in the league. He was able to do that this past week, but now that I actually saw the game (NFL Replay-HD), Jenkins did not look at 100% and they are nothing without him.

If Albert Haynesworth is our only free agent pickup, I would still be ecstatic. I would still like to use our first two picks on DL's (Assuming they are value at that spot). With a stronger DL, I think our secondary and linebackers increased effectivness goes without saying.

I would also like a sam gash type fullback- that would also increase Lynch's effectiveness.

Coaching wise- I really don't care either way. i think the change has to come from above the head coach level- we keep trying to frankenstein a team together and player talents don't match up well. We need somebody with a vision of what they want the team's strengths to be and what weaknesses are acceptable to cover behind those strengths.

I agreed with everything you said until you brought up the combine......to me, the combine is where bad teams talk themselves into staying bad

No need to blow anything up. We're close. I think our biggest need right now is at QB. Our QB play has clearly cost us 3 or games. Go after Collins, Warner, Cassell , and Garcia, and hot and heavy in that order. Also try to work a trade for McNabb or Bulger. Any one of them would put us way ahead of where we are now. I also think another WR, definitely a Tight End, a Center, maybe some more help at OLine.

No need to blow anything up. We're close. I think our biggest need right now is at QB. Our QB play has clearly cost us 3 or games. Go after Collins, Warner, Cassell , and Garcia, and hot and heavy in that order. Also try to work a trade for McNabb or Bulger. Any one of them would put us way ahead of where we are now. I also think another WR, definitely a Tight End, a Center, maybe some more help at OLine.

So after we play well against the Jests, we forget everything that came before? The only reason the QB position has hurt us us because we have wasted so many picks on it. The offensive and defensive lines are both in shambles- and any changes made are cosmetic until that is fixed

Am I the only one who remembers watching "Linebacker Jesus" Laurinitis get ABUSED by superior athletes in the past two national championship games? Or against Texas or USC?

We've already got one over-matched, over-hyped Big Ten linebacker on the roster, we don't need another. Curry, Maualuga and even Spikes are much better options. I'd kick the tires on Orakpo...

Maybe Laurinatis needs to get his dad, Road Warrior Animal to help him knock out the offensive linemen.

I'll admit one thing here, I'm transitioning into offseason mode (Yes, I'm going to watch the last two games!) and wondering if the team really needs to be "blown up" as I believe some would want. My contention is that a core of players are available to Dick Jauron or whoever coaches next season. I know that posters ALL seem to have their own "master plan" for success, but what really is needed and how do they go about it? I'd guess that the free agency period will, in my mind, yield defensive reinforcements and the draft will bolster the offense. When I look at who is available as opposed to who gets franchised and so forth, the pickings look slim. My feeling is that the Bills could venture into the OLB ranks and nab a guy like Mike Peterson. The DE position is bleek for March, so maybe the Bills will find their DE in the VERY early rounds. I don't think that they are too far from contending, so here is my layout for a playoff push (legitimate one) in 2009.

Free Agents:

OLB Mike Peterson

OG Jahri Evans

Draft:

1st round (pick #8) Brian Orapko, DE, Texas

Trade 2010 first rounder and 4th rounder this year, 2009 for later first round pick

1st round ( say pick # 25) Alex Mack, C, California

2nd round (pick # 41) Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri

3rd round (pick #74) Evander Hood, DT, Missouri

5th round ( ? ) Graham Harrell, QB, Texas Tech

6th round ( ? ) Javorskie Lane, FB/RB, Texas A&M

7th round ( ? ) Terrill Byrd, DT/DE, Cincinnati

Personally, I don't want to start over when the possibilities of putting this type of team together exists!!

Side note: For the members who might be aware of CFL players, are there any QB's that would warrent a look? Thoughts?

Surely there must be a safety they can reach for in the 1st round?