The Bills should hire Matt Millen for GM.

Tipster19

Then the collapse would be complete. All kidding aside, I think Russ Brandon has done a good job so far. He has provided us with good draft picks and great aquisitions in the FA and trade dept. Our problem lies with our coaching. It's ironic how much the Raiders (Al Davis) and the Bills (Ralph Wilson) resemble each other in the production/results dept.. These two old school coots will not relinquish their authority no matter what kind of garbage they turn out year after year. Amazing, simply amazing.

The Lions' situation is an odd one. And it is hard to put your finger on exactly why they have sucked so bad for so long. Unlike stingy Ralph, the Fords have been willing to shell out large sums of money for players and coaches. Think Ralph would have ever shelled out the $ it took to bring in Mooch? Also, although their drafts haven't reaped large rewards, I couldn't argue with many of Millen's picks at the time. Of course, I get my intel from magazines and the sort -- perhaps that's what Millen was doing too? LOL

I think the biggest thing is that the culture of losing has left many of the better players longing to go elsewhere. So even when the Lions do bring up a good young player, he ultimately wants to be traded or sign with another team when he becomes a free agent.

Then the collapse would be complete. All kidding I think Russ Brandon has done a good so far. He has provided us with good draft picks, great aquisitions in the FA and trade dept. Our problem lies with our coaching. It's ironic how much the Raiders (Al Davis) and the Bills (Ralph Wilson) resemble each other in the production/results dept.. These two old school coots will not relinquish their authority no matter what kind of garbage they turn out year after year. Amazing, simply amazing.

Why not? We hired a loser retread from Chicago to be our head coach...why not look within the NFC North for another loser retread for GM? We should also look to Mike Tice and Mike Sherman as co-ordinators to complete the collection of losers.

To be honest, I don't know much about Matt Millen- to be fair though, the Lions were in already in shambles when he got there. Who knows what happened above him while he was there.

Your joking right?

Millen made all the decisions for years on the people hired and players drafted.He would often over rule his coaches and scouts and drafted who he wanted.

The ONLY GM I know worse then Millen was Terry Bledsoe who was the bills GM before Bill Polian. When the Bills went 2-14 twice in the 80's Polian once stated "We were 2-14 on merit--we have the worst personnel in the NFL"

Then the collapse would be complete. All kidding I think Russ Brandon has done a good so far. He has provided us with good draft picks, great aquisitions in the FA and trade dept. Our problem lies with our coaching. It's ironic how much the Raiders (Al Davis) and the Bills (Ralph Wilson) resemble each other in the production/results dept.. These two old school coots will not relinquish their authority no matter what kind of garbage they turn out year after year. Amazing, simply amazing.

Is there any doubt the Bills have a broken front office? Brandon's not the chief decision maker in personnel, and I've got to believe Guy and Modrak simply gather information on personnel and present it to Jauron.

Brandon knows he doesn't know anything about amateur and pro personnel, so he defers to Jauron.

No one can say Brandon has done well, because he hasn't been around long enough. He's been "GM" for exactly one off-season, and that's not enough to say either way. Besides, his being the COO doesn't mean he makes personnel decisions anyway.

Your joking right?

Millen made all the decisions for years on the people hired and players drafted.He would often over rule his coaches and scouts and drafted who he wanted.

The ONLY GM I know worse then Millen was Terry Bledsoe who was the bills GM before Bill Polian. When the Bills went 2-14 twice in the 80's Polian once stated "We were 2-14 on merit--we have the worst personnel in the NFL"

I am not going to argue the point that the Lions were terrible under his watch- but do you actually know that he made all the decisions?

problem is coaching? How about our lousy lines?

I am not going to argue the point that the Lions were terrible under his watch- but do you actually know that he made all the decisions?

Absolutely !

Steve Mariucci was hired by Millen to help Joey Harrington( one of Millens picks) When Mariuci went to Millen and told him Harrington couldn't get the job done as starting QB Millen wouldn't listen. Mariucci has spoken about this on the NFL network. Millen would be in the draft room and wouldn't listen to his coaches or his scouts and went ahead and drafted who he wanted.

Millen left broadcasting to assume the job of the Detroit Lions' CEO and de facto general manager. At that time, Millen had no prior player development or front office experience.

Since Millen's arrival in 2001, the Lions were 31-84, 26 games below .500, and had lost nine or more games each season. During the early part of Millen's tenure (2001-2003), the Lions failed to win a road game for three years (0-24) before opening the season with a win at the Chicago Bears in 2004. Overall, the Lions are 8-50 on the road since 2001.

Millen himself admitted to an interviewer in 2008 that the team's record under his leadership has been "beyond awful"] The Wall Street Journal said that NFL executives admit in private that Millen "has made more bad draft decisions than anyone else in two centuries" :thumbsup:

So... your argument FOR Millen is that maybe he was a puppet GM in Detroit?