Worst-case

silvermike

Based on our track record, which coaching hires should we be terrified of coming to the Bills next season?

The ones I see us going with - tragically:

Dom Capers

Dave Wannestadt

Perry Fewell

Any others spring to mind?

Abe Gibron

Based on our track record, which coaching hires should we be terrified of coming to the Bills next season?

Dom Capers

Dave Wannestadt

Perry Fewell

Steve Mariucci

Jim Fassel

Dom Capers

Dave Wannestadt

Perry Fewell

Dom Capers took an expansion team to the Championship game in its second season and built a contender right away...his only other gig since was the Houston gig where the NFL screwed the Texans based on the success of Carolina and Jacksonville when they were expansion teams and gave them extra draft picks.

NFL set it up for the Texans to be a lousy team because the previous 2 had too much success too early with all the extra draft picks they got. So Capers didnt have the same effect in Houston and was labeled a bust when he really just had lousy team to begin with.

He was considered a pretty darn good football coach and got a lot out of his players...This wouldnt be such a bad hire. The other 2 you listed are terrible though...

Dom Capers took an expansion team to the Championship game in its second season and built a contender right away...his only other gig since was the Houston gig where the NFL screwed the Texans based on the success of Carolina and Jacksonville when they were expansion teams and gave them extra draft picks.

Many tend to discount Capers' early success with the Panthers (and Coughlin's similar early success with the Jags) due to the unprecedented advantages the 1995 expansion teams were given when they entered the league. It should also be noted that Capers benefited from Bill Polian's slash-and-burn approach to build a SB champ in an unheard-of two-year period.

Of course, those who dismiss Caper's early success as a fluke, don't seem to cut him any slack on the team's decline after 1996. The Panthers had to pay the price of Pollian's efforts for several years after he left for the Colts. As you mentioned, his stint with the Texans was also atypical.

I just don't see him as the kind of guy you bring in to follow Jauron. He might end up being good, but he isn't anywhere near a slam dunk, which is what this team needs, IMO, if they decide to change coaches now.

I'm going to start my TOP THREE. Not to hijack but to bring some positivity.

1. Marty

2. Bobby April

3. James Lofton

You'd rather have them all over Cowher, or are these your top 3 guys you think are real options?

You'd rather have them all over Cowher, or are these your top 3 guys you think are real options?

Just to add on to that, now that I think about it. I think Cowher and Marty would require somewhat of overhauls, setting us back a few years. You know those are 2 coaches that will change our personnel to fit their scheme's. On the Other hand if we truly have the talent that I think we do, Bobby April makes the most sense since change of personnel under him should be more to a minimum. That's all just speculation and the green wizard talking, so who knows?