Hey Willis

Campy

I'm glad he's starting, I think he brings more of what we need to the O, but I thinnk its wrong that he announced it Tuesday afternoon on GR.

For starters, who's to say MM has had the opportunity to sit down with TH and inform him that he'd be relegated to 2nd string?

Secondly, it wouldn't be good for the team, facing a very challenging time right now but still doing a praiseworthy job of sticking together, to think that they may be embarassed publicly in the media by a teammate - intentionally or otherwise, and you just don't do that. The rosters, starting lineup, and injury updates are announced by the coach during his Wed p.c. MM has the opportunity to explain/justify his moves. Me thinks Willis jumped the gun, and while he probably didn't make many enemies, my understanding is that the players have alot of respect for Travis. I can imagine the vets thinking "shuddup rook."

If I'm MM I'm having a chat with our boy Willis about discretion. We know you're excited Willis, we are too, but let the coach handle such things in the future. It's his job, not yours...

For starters, who's to say MM has had the opportunity to sit down with TH and inform him that he'd be relegated to 2nd string? 

87323[/snapback]

If MM was thinking, I'm sure he talked to TH first. When you are a boss making a hiring decision, you always talk to those who didn't get the job first. No biggie.

We need a personality like McGahee in the line up. Let him boast, strut and do what he does best and act "UM" like. We need a winning attitude. Him announcing to the world that he is now the starter is symbolic.

i just want to know if anyone got on his ass for giving up on that interception return! that was disgraceful. i know he's young, but i lost a lot of respect for the kid on that play. maybe the blocker would have held him off, but jesus h. christ mcgahee, you're 20 effing yards from the endzone...PRETEND LIKE YOU CARE, AND FINISH THE PLAY!

does anyone else smell a rat with this guy?

i just want to know if anyone got on his ass for giving up on that interception return!  that was disgraceful.  i know he's young, but i lost a lot of respect for the kid on that play.  maybe the blocker would have held him off, but jesus h. christ mcgahee, you're 20 effing yards from the endzone...PRETEND LIKE YOU CARE, AND FINISH THE PLAY!

87379[/snapback]

I'm hoping that his coaches and teammates made it known his performance on that play was unaccetpable.

To me , he seems like a good kid who wants to do what's right I think (hope) if the expectations are made very clear, he'll finish the play on turnovers from here on out. If he doesn't, I believe MM will blast him in film session.

I'll be quite honest with you all.................................Reading this thread every single one of you has a valid point starting with the CIGARMAN CAMPY. At this point where there is still alot of football left and yet the current starters are not producing its time for a change...this change seems right for the young BUCK for the U.....but he needs to restrain that excitment he has and save it for game day.

Mike Malarkey continues to bumble though this season and this is just another episode. Malarkey's foot dragging on getting McGahee on the field has been one of the biggest mistakes and reasons this team is 1-5. Malarkey sucks. I'm glad someone on this team finally showed some balls, strength and confidence all in one sentence.

Mike Malarkey continues to bumble though this season and this is just another episode. Malarkey's foot dragging on getting McGahee on the field has been one of the biggest mistakes and reasons this team is 1-5. Malarkey sucks. I'm glad someone on this team finally showed some balls, strength and confidence all in one sentence.

87454[/snapback]

Mularkey has not done well so far, but to put the 1-5 start on him and to not also single out Moulds and his untimely drops (dropped 2 TDs Sunday, but all I hear his how wonderful he is for tackling Demps) or Donahoe and his piss poor decisions, for the most part, on draft day (Williams, Denney, and the low round OL taken have not panned out so far) is not fair at all. This entire team can embrace at least a portion of the 1-5 start. No one is above it all.

Mularkey has not done well so far, but to put the 1-5 start on him and to not also single out Moulds and his untimely drops (dropped 2 TDs Sunday, but all I hear his how wonderful he is for tackling Demps) or Donahoe and his piss poor decisions, for the most part, on draft day (Williams, Denney, and the low round OL taken have not panned out so far) is not fair at all.  This entire team can embrace at least a portion of the 1-5 start.  No one is above it all.

87463[/snapback]

You have got to be kidding me. I can't believe people who are still blaming Moulds! He has been by far the biggest contributor to this team (maybe barring Moorman). Those two "dropped TDs", well one of them was way behind him and he almost made another spectacular one handed catch (if you were watching that would have been the second of the drive). The other one was tipped my McAllister and Moulds STILL made a decent play on it while he was in mid-air. He's had his troubles but damn reserve the blame for those who have screwed up repeatedly and done nothing to contribute.

You have got to be kidding me. I can't believe people who are still blaming Moulds! He has been by far the biggest contributor to this team (maybe barring Moorman). Those two "dropped TDs", well one of them was way behind him and he almost made another spectacular one handed catch (if you were watching that would have been the second of the drive). The other one was tipped my McAllister and Moulds STILL made a decent play on it while he was in mid-air. He's had his troubles but damn reserve the blame for those who have screwed up repeatedly and done nothing to contribute.

87471[/snapback]

No, I'm not kidding. He has contributed, to be fair, but he also has had bad drops in numerous games, NOT just the Ravens game. Again, if you read the post, I don't point the blame at one particular player or unit. Our problems are widespread and just about everyone can have their fair share of blame. Maybe Moorman might get off the hook.........maybe.

No, I'm not kidding.  He has contributed, to be fair, but he also has had bad drops in numerous games, NOT just the Ravens game.  Again, if you read the post, I don't point the blame at one particular player or unit.  Our problems are widespread and just about everyone can have their fair share of blame.  Maybe Moorman might get off the hook.........maybe.

87479[/snapback]

Agree R.Rich, Moulds of course isn't solely to blame, but every single player on the offense has made plently of mistakes to take credit for this horrible season so far, including Moulds. Just because he ran down the guy on the INT return doesn't make him immune to criticism.

Mularkey has not done well so far, but to put the 1-5 start on him and to not also single out Moulds and his untimely drops (dropped 2 TDs Sunday, but all I hear his how wonderful he is for tackling Demps) or Donahoe and his piss poor decisions, for the most part, on draft day (Williams, Denney, and the low round OL taken have not panned out so far) is not fair at all.  This entire team can embrace at least a portion of the 1-5 start.  No one is above it all.

87463[/snapback]

I said he's "one of the biggest" reasons. With a record like 1-5 you have took look at the head man first. This team was undisciplined the first snap of the season. Not using Evans and McGahee were also his decisions. Dreaming up exotic plays for a one trick pony like Drew was his decision. Starting Henry for the obvious reason he didn't want to hurt Travis's feelings was his decision. I have a big problem with how Malarkey has mismanaged this team. There are others to blame but Donahoe gave him Evans and McGahee but Mike choose not to use them much. Now who's the dummy between those two again?

" Oh poor Travis... he didn't get to hear about his demotion from the coach .. " He couldnt tell by his piss-poor play that he might get benched?

To quote howard stern:

"I suck at running back and some young kid took my job... Waaah, waaaah"..

As Shakespeare once said,

this is much ado over nothing.

After starting the season at 1-5, seeing how bad TH looks, & how good Willis looks,

I bet the vets on this team are secretly jumping for joy, knowing that Willis gives them a better chance to win. The only one really upset is TH.

Of course, this celebration pales in comparison to the private parties that TKO, Fletcher, et all will be throwing when Drew leaves town. <_<

I think it's good. We need a leader and for him to step up and show some freakin balls is huge. When is the last time we've seen some type of heart....I don't care if it is the rook. He has performed when Travis hasn't and should be the starter.

I think it's good. We need a leader and for him to step up and show some freakin balls is huge. When is the last time we've seen some type of heart....I don't care if it is the rook. He has performed when Travis hasn't and should be the starter.

87507[/snapback]

exactly.

i just want to know if anyone got on his ass for giving up on that interception return!  that was disgraceful.  i know he's young, but i lost a lot of respect for the kid on that play.  maybe the blocker would have held him off, but jesus h. christ mcgahee, you're 20 effing yards from the endzone...PRETEND LIKE YOU CARE, AND FINISH THE PLAY!

87379[/snapback]

I was kind of surprised how many people gave Willis a free pass on that one - it bothered me also - not as an incident by itself but as something combined with some of the other things that have been revealed this year regarding his maturity.

I posted this last week:

This is a quote from the Jets game

McGahee's run came after coach Mike Mularkey had gathered the offense on the sidelines and gave the players some choice words before sending them on the field.

"Some of us need to grow up and I felt like it was coming towards me," McGahee said of Mularkey's speech. "I felt like I had to go out and make a play after that speech. You have to grow up, like he says."

BN article from Jets game

Here's another quote from before this weekend:

"I'm going to go back even to the bye week, he's picked up his game," Mularkey said. "It's been addressed. I think he has had a greater focus in meetings and carried it out on the field. I think he understands that's how you get on the field . . . what coaches see you do in meetings and in practice to give you that chance."

BN 10/16

Recently I also saw a blurb somewhere (which I can't find now) which said in essence that McGahee has started to pay attention more in practice and meetings - now that he is becoming more involved in the offense.

Add in all the 'controversial' statements at the beginning of the year about playing time (regardless of whether he was spurred on by his agent) and it doesn't paint a very pretty picture of his maturity or professionalism up until recenty IMHO. It is even made worse in my mind that he has been around the game for a full year before this year - its not like he's a "trout mouthed" rookie being exposed to the professional game for the first time.

Hopefully he has seen the light and turned it around now - it is still amazing to me that his head seemed to be so far from the right place. Maybe Bobby Shaw was his bad influence.... 

I think he'll be OK - but it looks to me like he still has some growing up to do - and he needs to do it quick.

Back to the interception return - when Moulds made this statement I think Willis may have been partially on his mind:

“I don’t know if the other guys quit on the play, but I was always taught when I came here with Marv Levy that you don’t stop fighting.

“Guys like Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Bruce Smith always showed me that you don’t stop no matter what the score is because that uniform you’ve got on is bigger than your name.”

He added, “I don’t know if guys realize that. Maybe I did a poor job of letting them know that. I think I have to bring up the fact that there were great players here that played before (them) and (they)’ve got to respect those uniforms.”

Hopefully Moulds and some of the other veterans will really start riding the guys who aren't stepping up or taking their jobs seriously enough. In Willis' case Mularkey said it was taken care of after the off week but I'm not so sure it was totally. I think the message has much more weight coming from a respected veteran player - hopefully guys like Moulds will start doing a better job of getting to some of these guys and "letting them know" what is expected of them.