Hey Buffalo, do whatever it takes to get Peppers

1billsfan

So far this season the total number of sacks we've got from the defensive end position is 5.

5 sacks TOTAL from Schobel (1), Kelsay (1), Denny (2) and Bryan (1). That's a simply pathetic output.

I think the Bills should trade Schobel, cut Kelsay and Denny. Then pool all of that extra money to go out and try to get Julius Peppers. 5 sacks from the defensive end position is never going to get the job done if you have any notions of being a contending team. Is this not the one player that fits our team like a glove? You can't take it with you Ralph.

So far this season the total number of sacks we've got from the defensive end position is 5.

5 sacks TOTAL from Schobel (1), Kelsay (1), Denny (2) and Bryan (1). That's a simply pathetic output.

I think the Bills should trade Schobel, cut Kelsay and Denny. Then pool all of that extra money to go out and try to get Julius Peppers. 5 sacks from the defensive end position is never going to get the job done if you have any notions of being a contending team. Is this not the one player that fits our team like a glove? You can't take it with you Ralph.

I've been saying the same things as well. Our DE's suck at pass rushing. If you give a good QB time to throw, he'll eat up your offense just like Brady did last year & Warner did this year.

P.S.- you have to remember to say you'll sign DE's before you cut anyone, otherwise you have some braindead posters giving you crap about cutting players before signing new one's.

I've been saying the same things as well. Our DE's suck at pass rushing. If you give a good QB time to throw, he'll eat up your offense just like Brady did last year & Warner did this year.

P.S.- you have to remember to say you'll sign DE's before you cut anyone, otherwise you have some braindead posters giving you crap about cutting players before signing new one's.

I agree with going after Peppers and eliminating Denny and other underachievers but not Schobel. If you compare

Peppers and Schobel's stats you will see that Schobel has more total tackles, forced fumbles and sacks! I am not saying that Schobel is better than Peppers but if Buffalo could get Peppers they might just have the best two-man rush in football.

Sign me up for Peppers, but I'd rather go into the season with Peppers, Schobel and Kelsey or Denny riding the pine. I can't see why, when you are not up against the cap, you cut players that can contribute. Vindiction for a poor contract by management or because you don't like the guy does not help the Bills win.

I agree with going after Peppers and eliminating Denny and other underachievers but not Schobel. If you compare

Peppers and Schobel's stats you will see that Schobel has more total tackles, forced fumbles and sacks! I am not saying that Schobel is better than Peppers but if Buffalo could get Peppers they might just have the best two-man rush in football.

Schobel's rarely had big games against the good teams. Yes he's had some success with regards to sacking Brady, but other than that I see little output against the better teams of the league. More often than not, he looks too slow and weak to proved the impact we're looking for. I think the Bills would be better served at getting his somewhat large contract off the books, use that money to help get Peppers and use the extra 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on a center, defensive end, defensive tackle or a linebacker.

Cut Schobel/Denney/Kelsay and sign Peppers and you'd have the exact same problem we have now. Or we can keep Schobel/Denney and bring in Peppers. The Bills cap situtation is nowhere near close enough to the cap that this couldn't be done. It's just a matter of, are the Bills willing to admit the Kelsay mistake, and the terrible pass rush, and do something major to improve it? Or will we be spoonfed the same crap yet again. You know "Well with a healthy Schobel, and Stroud Kelsay and The Stork will do such and such?". That people have bought into hook line and sinker? We shall see.

Schobel's rarely had big games against the good teams. Yes he's had some success with regards to sacking Brady, but other than that I see little output against the better teams of the league. More often than not, he looks too slow and weak to proved the impact we're looking for. I think the Bills would be better served at getting his somewhat large contract off the books, use that money to help get Peppers and use the extra 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on a center, defensive end, defensive tackle or a linebacker.

I disagree. He had sacks last year against the Steelers, Pats*, Jets, Skins, stinkin' fish, Browns and Giants. The year before, he registered sacks against the Pats* (3), Bears, Lions, Packers, Texans, Jags, Chargers, Jets (3), stinkin' fish, and Titans. Not too many bad teams there.

Cut Schobel/Denney/Kelsay and sign Peppers and you'd have the exact same problem we have now. Or we can keep Schobel/Denney and bring in Peppers. The Bills cap situtation is nowhere near close enough to the cap that this couldn't be done. It's just a matter of, are the Bills willing to admit the Kelsay mistake, and the terrible pass rush, and do something major to improve it? Or will we be spoonfed the same crap yet again. You know "Well with a healthy Schobel, and Stroud Kelsay and The Stork will do such and such?". That people have bought into hook line and sinker? We shall see.

Good plan. Move Schobel to RE if Peppers is engrained at LE. Above all, cut Kelsay ad his salary cap savings can help pay for a real NFL DE.

Get rid of 3 DEs and replace them with 1. Brilliant!

I assume with your final sentence that you're referring to the cheap contracts Ralph has given our current DEs? :thumbdown: It always amuses me that Ralph can be cheap because he won't sign some FA, but in the same post he's paying too much for our players.

I have no problem at all going after Peppers; I would just hope the FO does it more sensibly than you suggest.

Not true... Some of his best individual performances have come against the better tackles in the league at the time he played them including Pace and Ogden.

DE:

Job #1:

Contain the running backs. Pick up off-tackle outside cut RB action. String out wide RB play. Funnel plays back to the center and give your DL and LBs a chance to make stops, inside or outside. Elbow a WR in the chops if one presents himself.

Job #2:

Compress the QB's pocket. Harry the QB. Get sacks.

It's very unlikely Buffalo gets Peppers for a couple reasons.

1. He will be re-signed or at the least franchised by Carolina.

2. He'll seek a long term contract (5-7 yrs) of 10M+ per season if he hits the market. That sort of cap hit doesn't lend itself to Buffalo's overall strategy.

3. The Bills have spent a bunch of money already on DE's. Schobel's deal has 6 more seasons, and Kelsay has two more after this year. The total for those two alone is already 74M. I can't see the Bills, even with a huge need at DE, spending more at one position than what they already have.

4. I think Buffalo re-signs Fred Jackson (UFA after season) and then McGee and Reed (UFA after 09) before making big moves on the UFA market.

Reality says the Bills are hurting for a proven pass rusher, and Peppers would probably be the best one available if an UFA. We don't know what the cap will be in 09, but it'll probably be around 120M. Buffalo has about 20-22M in cap room right now, but we won't know for awhile how much for next season.

Get rid of 3 DEs and replace them with 1. Brilliant!

I assume with your final sentence that you're referring to the cheap contracts Ralph has given our current DEs? :D It always amuses me that Ralph can be cheap because he won't sign some FA, but in the same post he's paying too much for our players.

I have no problem at all going after Peppers; I would just hope the FO does it more sensibly than you suggest.

Yes, it's called upgrading a position on your team. Cardboard cutouts could replace both Kelsay and Denny. Eillis and Bryan could NOT be any worse than those two. Please tell me that you think Kelsay and Denny are that much better! :lol:

They could also draft another DE in the first round after getting Peppers making the team's pass rushing defense as fierce as the NY Giants. That would in fact be a very brilliant thing to do.

I think those numbers are inflated. For instance, Denney got a one-yard sack against the Chiefs, IIRC.

To compete for a Superbowl we need upgrades at DE, DT, OLB, C and TE, and more competition at guard. As well as continued improvement from Trent. (We should know more about him after the next 5 games) Anyone who we can bring in at these positions that makes us better, I am all for. The Kelsay contract and whether we cut him because of how much he is owed should not be part of the equation. He is nothing better than average AT BEST, and it is time to cut bait. If Russ Brandon wants to win, Kelsay will be cut.

Peppers was absolutely horrid last year - there was not-so subtle speculation within the Panthers fanbase that the correlation between his staggering output dropoff with a more 'focused' implementaion of NFL steroid policy was not coincidental :D

Sacks are overrated. The line on its own isn't getting enough of a push to produce many more incompletions or turnovers. I'd rather have 0 sacks and a billion 3 and outs any day from opposing offenses.