Buy American? Made in the USA?

SDS

So, you have no basis for comparison, I guess.

I have owned US, Japanese, German and French cars (still not dumb enough to buy an Italian car...YET). The quality of cars, in general, is much better than it was even 15 or 20 years ago. Now Americans still make some crappy, poor value, vehicles, but they also do OK in quality/dollar in a few models, IMO. It all depends on what you are looking for, in a car.

My 85 year old Dad has a 2006 Malibu that he bought from a dealer with about 12,000 on it. He got an unbelievable price and a new car warranty ((or close to it, I forget the exact details). The car is perfect for him and my mother, and he probably wouldn't find a Japanese car, that had all the stuff he finds important in a car, for anywhere near what he paid for the Malibu. I find the car sluggish (doesn't matter to him, he never goes on the highway), but it is comfortable and drives pretty well.

that is because the resale value for that junk is next to nothing. The poor soul who 1st bought that car took it in the shorts.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is because the resale value for that junk is next to nothing. The poor soul who 1st bought that car took it in the shorts.

For sure.

Now, comparing that Malibu to the Accord my Sister bought recently, at their "new car" prices is a different story. The Malibu costs a bit less, actually, and would still be a better value for my Dad and his purposes. (I will assume this is his last car, and resale is not an issue.) For me, however, the decision is a no-brainer (if I had to choose between the two). The Accord is a much better car, and built in the USA, I believe. In fact, that Honda is probably as much an American car as the Chevy.

I look at the tags, and buy products from the best-run companies with the highest commitment to quality. Because generally, quality is a corporate value, not a national one.

If most of those products just happen to be of foreign manufacture...so be it. I believe it is my patriotic duty to NOT support American companies that don't provide value to the country.

I look at the tags, and buy products from the best-run companies with the highest commitment to quality. Because generally, quality is a corporate value, not a national one.

If most of those products just happen to be of foreign manufacture...so be it. I believe it is my patriotic duty to NOT support American companies that don't provide value to the country.

I almost spit out my drink on that one. Very funny. B-)

I almost spit out my drink on that one. Very funny. B-)

But it is true. When we support companies that make crap, simply because it is American crap, we do long term harm to the country.

My last American car was a 1998 Ford Explorer. I still have it - it's had some really STUPID expensive things go wrong, like a $2 part that cost $1000 to replace because the dashboard had to come off...the entire electrical system failing ... I will say that it's never stranded me, but I would not want to rely on it.

American workers know how to BUILD an excellent car, if they are given a good design and the proper tools to do so. So I will buy a Honda that's made in America without worry.

I rented a Focus sedan for the weekend while in Buffalo (#$@#$ wide right). I liked it and the Sirius radio/sound system was sweet. It handled pretty well in the snow on I90. I could almost - but not quite - consider buying one.

My last American car was a 1998 Ford Explorer. I still have it - it's had some really STUPID expensive things go wrong, like a $2 part that cost $1000 to replace because the dashboard had to come off...the entire electrical system failing ... I will say that it's never stranded me, but I would not want to rely on it.

American workers know how to BUILD an excellent car, if they are given a good design and the proper tools to do so. So I will buy a Honda that's made in America without worry.

I rented a Focus sedan for the weekend while in Buffalo (#$@#$ wide right). I liked it and the Sirius radio/sound system was sweet. It handled pretty well in the snow on I90. I could almost - but not quite - consider buying one.

I have owned nothing but GM. Never really had any major problems. Normal wear and tear. Just bought a Suburban. Love it!!

I drove a Mustang recently, and it's gotta be the Monster Cable of cars.

When I worked for a network in LA (mid-late 90's), I got a to lease a new car every year. It is a deal set up with some leasing company and the studio, for their executives. There selection of vehicles was decent, but nothing special, and all American cars. One of the better deals looked to be the Mustang Cobra convertible (V8). So, I rented one for a weekend to see what I thought...and I thought it SUCKED. I never liked driving that kind of format car, anyway, I guess. But, this one was simply a crappy car, that handled like crap.

I ended up getting a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited every year. Very comfortable, drove well, good stereo B-). For one year at a time, it was a good vehicle.

See: Marysville, OH.

How is it that AMERICAN workers are building what is considered the BEST car in terms of reliability and have been for some time?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

What's funny?

I just did a quick review of Consumer Reports recommended cars. While some are American (Ford Fusion, Chevy Malibu), most are Japanese: Nissan, Honda, Toyota.

In the luxury categories, there are hardly any American cars.

Basically, though a few models (mostly Fords) might be better, American cars are still perceived as crappy.

(BTW, German cars scored even worse than American cars but most people want German cars for the cache, not the reliability.)

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2008...eliability.html

What's funny?

I just did a quick review of Consumer Reports recommended cars. While some are American (Ford Fusion, Chevy Malibu), most are Japanese: Nissan, Honda, Toyota.

In the luxury categories, there are hardly any American cars.

Basically, though a few models (mostly Fords) might be better, American cars are still perceived as crappy.

(BTW, German cars scored even worse than American cars but most people want German cars for the cache, not the reliability.)

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2008...eliability.html

Don't bother - he's off in the corner arguing with himself. GM has reached the quality levels of Japanese cars, but Japanese cars don't have high quality levels... so says the guy who has never owned anything other than GM. B-)