Buy American? Made in the USA?

SDS

what if the product is good, but expensive?

If the US product is good, and expensive (i.e. twice the price of the foreign product) but not appreciably any better than the same product made elsewhere, what would you realistically expect the general public to do? Especially in these economic times? I would love to buy things made in the US, but I'm certainly not going to spend double the money for well intentioned, patriotic reasons.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One major problem in US companies is, they only care about the short term anymore, it seems. It's all about shareholders and shareholders want return NOW, or they want to put their money elsewhere. If nobody gives a s#it about the actual "business", then the business is likely to go to s#it.

That's the problem with the entire US! In finance, autos or just about anything, people take the short term, feels good now approach instead of a long term, systematic approach. It's why our politicians are making things astronomically worse for our nation right now instead of letting the cycle run its course. There is no other solution.

In a USA run company, it likely would not be possible. US companies show us, all the time, that left to their own devices, they will abuse workers, not operate in the public interest, etc. (That's not to say that there aren't exceptions.) So, some might argue that the only way to deal with Big Business and Big Gov't is Big Labor. While I don't necessarily agree, I understand their point.

One major problem in US companies is, they only care about the short term anymore, it seems. It's all about shareholders and shareholders want return NOW, or they want to put their money elsewhere. If nobody gives a s#it about the actual "business", then the business is likely to go to s#it.

The reason non-union auto manufacturers offer good benefits and wages is because they don't want the UAW to come in. It's a lot better for them to offer close to what the union would force them to do.

I've got a three year lease on my BMW. All maintenance covered. As a matter of fact I had a guy come and tint my windows. He cut the rubber seal around two of the windows. I took it to the dealer to fix and told them to let me know if they could write a letter stating it looked like the window guy !@#$ed up. Obviously he did. I called to see if my car was ready and he said yes but the couldn't definitively determine whether or not with window tint guy did the damage. They picked up the cost under my warranty. THAT'S what you pay for.

Exactly. American cars used to be that way... True the Japanes made the domestics better in ways... But, not with these types of customer service issues. The domestics are getting just as bad as the Japanese with the "blame game" now.

The American car companies would always honor the warranty even slighty after the odometer reading was up... The Japanese cars I owned... If it was one mile over, forget about it. I guess the Japanese know good buisness? :rolleyes:

This whole reliability thing? I think is bunk... In the past 6 new cars I have owned, none has left me stranded under a 100 grand miles... And the one that did, was my 1994 Chrsyler (fuel pump)... That vehicle had 250,000 miles on it... And I didn't have it since new... And I blame myself for not heeding the warning signs a day before when it hicupped at a stop light.

The reason non-union auto manufacturers offer good benefits and wages is because they don't want the UAW to come in. It's a lot better for them to offer close to what the union would force them to do.

In America, the defector is king! What I mean is, the guy who uses the system to their advantage and defects form the mass norm.

The one's that get in and rides the crest of the bubble and gets out before it bursts leaving the masses are holding the bag.

Again... I harken back to the analogy of going out with a group of friends drinking... Some will let everyone buy a round and then when it is their turn... They book... The wife must surely be calling... Then they will preach another story.

Look how the western "red states" work this to perfection as they rail against big government, while states like New York, Illinois, California, Massachusetts, and others are left paying the bill.

Honda is working it the same way. They are not dumb.

This whole reliability thing? I think is bunk...

An entire generation of Consumer Reports and every other credible auto reviewing source disagrees.

Some brands like Ford have definitely started to get better and compete but American auto makers are digging out of a hole.

I'd be more sympathetic to the "buy American"/bailout GM-Chrysler-Ford if they closed all their plants in Mexico and Canada. While they're at it GM should drop the Buick and Pontiac lines, have only one line of light trucks and USV (urban shopping vehicles) and a single line of Muscle and Sports cars.

They should hire the firm of Hudson, Packard, Studebaker & Nash to help them face reality and reorganize.

No. Believe it or not... In the long run, no. Can't be a "consumer" if you have no job and make money so as to consume those goods.

We will see?

Are we finally seeing these chickens come home to roost?

Quantity doesn't always mean better.

So producing good quality cars at a resonable price is not good for the consumer? Ok, got it. :unsure:

So producing good quality cars at a resonable price is not good for the consumer? Ok, got it. :unsure:

But, if nobody is working... They won't even afford that. Unless you plan on giving the cars away free. This isn't like the computer industry... If they operated like that, vehicles would be stranding you 500 miles form home while you wait to buy a software upgrade... :unsure::unsure:

If the US product is good, and expensive (i.e. twice the price of the foreign product) but not appreciably any better than the same product made elsewhere, what would you realistically expect the general public to do? Especially in these economic times? I would love to buy things made in the US, but I'm certainly not going to spend double the money for well intentioned, patriotic reasons.

I take Anchor Porter to the Bills games when I tailgate...except in the warm summer games i drink Pilsner Urquell.

So I'm fifty fifty on the issue.

Though I always buy Generous Motors cars...call me a softy.

The sneeker thing is tuff because Chucks are all now made in Mexico....hence I no longer wear Converse.