Buy American? Made in the USA?

SDS

I used to think Buy America was important. Then I bought a German car.

I had never owned a badged American car before I bought my Ford Focus. It was built in Detroit. I know that because it was special ordered and the dealer had to have it shipped from Detroit. I never had a significant rattle in any of the foreign cars I owned and six months after I had my Focus I heard rattles.

The UAW is a part of the problems with the U.S. auto industry. It is near impossible for them to fire an employee. They have to document everything they do and in many cases the UAW will fight their firing anyway.

A friend's parents bought a Cadillac and it had a mysterious rattle that the dealership was having a hard time figuring out. Finally they narrowed it down to a front quarter panel and when they took it off a bottle fell out with a note saying "Annoying aint it"

Anyway there really isn't anything that can truly be called an American car with so many badges being owned by American companies (i.e. Ford owns Mazda and Volvo) and the making of parts overseas cars are really just international products.

If the big three go under, there will still be some cars made in the USA. The only difference is the ownership. And as far as that goes, you are free to buy stock in Toyota... so it's actually only about which government gets the corporate taxes.

If the USG wants companies to be headquartered here, it knows what to do - lower the corporate taxes.

Linkage

Diminishing Returns:

A Tax Maneuver

In Delaware Puts

Squeeze on States

---

Trademark-Holding Companies

Help Limited, Many Others

Save Millions of Dollars

---

One Address for 670 Firms

By Glenn R. Simpson

08/09/2002

The Wall Street Journal

Page A1

(Copyright © 2002, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

WILMINGTON, Del. -- Limited Brands Inc. takes in tens of millions of dollars each year

from its thousands of retail stores in 48 states. But when it comes to paying state taxes,

the Columbus, Ohio, retailer prefers to deal with Delaware, which collects no income

taxes on out-of-state holding companies and investment firms.

Limited bases seven subsidiaries in a drab office building in the heart of this city's

downtown. The subsidiaries, which don't produce anything tangible and don't employ

anyone from Limited, are big money-makers. Their primary function is to hold the

trademarks for famous Limited chains such as Bath & Body Works and Victoria's Secret,

and charge their retail siblings huge fees for use of the brand names. The arrangement

transfers hundreds of millions of dollars each year away from Limited's retail outlets in

high-tax states and into the Delaware subsidiaries, which don't pay a penny of state tax.

With tax dodges no corporation in America pays the actual tax rates.

Worker salaries (as opposed to total compensation) at Toyota and Honda in Japan average $26,000. Toyota's salaries for US employees (which includes management) is probably in the neighborhood of $57,000. But keep up the enlightened stereotypes.

http://www.finfacts.com/irishfinancenews/a...e_1012890.shtml

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search...or+Sales,+U.S.A.

Average Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A Salaries

The average salary for Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A jobs is $0,000. Average Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits.

This salary was calculated using the average salary for all jobs with the term "Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A" anywhere in the job listing.

I think that there is a problem with the data. :thumbdown:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've try to buy American when I can find it, even if it costs more. My last 3 vehicles have been Ford, Dodge, Chrysler. I'm going on 5 years of boycotting Walmart on principle for forcing vendors to lower costs to the point of them moving manufacturing overseas. And if I have no American option, I still look at the country of origin on similar products. If there's an option, I try not to buy a product from China.

20/20 or Dateline or one of those type shows had a piece about the people who make the products for American companies and it showed the squalor in which they live.

They brought a woman from that village over to America and took her to a Walmart and the shoppers there said they would pay more for products if she was paid a good wage. BS, most people don't look for labels they look for price and don't give a thought to the people making these things.

With all the problems with Chinese products lately it serves these companies right for not manufacturing products in a country with decent laws governing the manufacturing of products.

There are a number of clothing items that have a tag on them that says made in the USA . The only thing made in the USA is the tag :thumbdown: Between the taxes the unions and the corrupt CEO's , who can afford anything made in the USA?

Again those damn unions. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

In the mid 1980s I worked in BFE, North Carolina, where textile plants had once ruled and previously all was well. There was a huge "Made in the USA" push at the time, and since I worked as a journalist for the local three-day-a-week rag, I was constantly in and out of the textile plants doing stories on layoffs, etc. Despite what I was seeing, people just weren't going for the "Made in the USA" routine. One by one the plants closed down, and in time it dawned on me that the campaign would probably work better if it wasn't just dragged out of the closet every time an American market segment is getting its ass kicked by overseas firms.

In other words, instead of waiting until the shiiit hits the fan, promote it often and early. I think people respond better to "Buy American Because It's Great Quality" than they do to "Please Buy American Or We're All Going To Lose Our Jobs And The World Will Collapse If You Don't."

In the mid 1980s I worked in BFE, North Carolina, where textile plants had once ruled and previously all was well. There was a huge "Made in the USA" push at the time, and since I worked as a journalist for the local three-day-a-week rag, I was constantly in and out of the textile plants doing stories on layoffs, etc. Despite what I was seeing, people just weren't going for the "Made in the USA" routine. One by one the plants closed down, and in time it dawned on me that the campaign would probably work better if it wasn't just dragged out of the closet every time an American market segment is getting its ass kicked by overseas firms.

In other words, instead of waiting until the shiiit hits the fan, promote it often and early. I think people respond better to "Buy American Because It's Great Quality" than they do to "Please Buy American Or We're All Going To Lose Our Jobs And The World Will Collapse If You Don't."

Nice Post. :thumbdown:

It still comes down to price, especially now.

I remember many moons ago the "Buy American" type campaigns and the "Made in the USA" stickers. I guess with nearly all the manufacturing gone, trying to continue that philosophy is futile. Walmart used to feature and brag about the amount of products that were made here, but that quietly went away.

I was looking for shoes today and decided to see what my choices were. It appears Allen Edmonds may be one of the last manufacturers making quality men's shoes. New Balance still makes a portion of their line here.

Does anyone else even bother with such things anymore? Is it stupid to pay $250 for Allen Edmonds shoes when you can buy some other brand for $125?

I look to see where things are made. I will gladly pay a small premium to by something made in the USA, if it is of good quality. As has been mentioned, with autos, you get no increase in quality for the extra $$. Also, what does "American" mean, in American Car?

The regs for American content in cars from US manufacturers is (or at least was) horrendous.

But, I try to buy New Balance sneakers, but only on sale, of course. When possible I buy clothing made in the USA, food from the USA and wine from the USA. But, that's only if it delivers value and quality. Again, i will pay a little bit more for US made, but not a lot, and not if it isn't up to snuff.

If we want to keep jobs in America we need to push for minimum wages across the globe. The only reason jobs go overseas is because they can pay someone $2 a day. If they had a minimum wage of approx. $5 per hour it would become uneconomical for us to send jobs overseas. This would also give those people disposable income and in turn they could buy more things which would benefit the world economy and subsequently America. This will never happen though because American corporations wield too much power in foreign governments to ever let that happen.

You can say otherwise until you are blue in the face - it doesn't make it a reality. Quite frankly, I think you should look at your avatar and see if you see any similarities.

I have always bought GM vehicles... always liked them.

But, I try to buy New Balance sneakers, but only on sale, of course.

Need to start checking the labels, new balance will advertise made in america but a growing percentage of the line is going to china. Usually the high end sneakers are still all USA however the 60$ pairs are becoming more and more made in china. I never had a pair fall apart till last cross trainer I bought that finally realized no made in USA label inside.

I have always bought GM vehicles... always liked them.

So, you have no basis for comparison, I guess.

I have owned US, Japanese, German and French cars (still not dumb enough to buy an Italian car...YET). The quality of cars, in general, is much better than it was even 15 or 20 years ago. Now Americans still make some crappy, poor value, vehicles, but they also do OK in quality/dollar in a few models, IMO. It all depends on what you are looking for, in a car.

My 85 year old Dad has a 2006 Malibu that he bought from a dealer with about 12,000 on it. He got an unbelievable price and a new car warranty ((or close to it, I forget the exact details). The car is perfect for him and my mother, and he probably wouldn't find a Japanese car, that had all the stuff he finds important in a car, for anywhere near what he paid for the Malibu. I find the car sluggish (doesn't matter to him, he never goes on the highway), but it is comfortable and drives pretty well.