Someone please make a play

Individual players not coming up big, and not making the plays they needed to make, is what cost us this game. Jackson's fumble is one instance. But off the top of my head, if any of the following plays are made, we probably win this game.

-Lindell's field goal

-Corner missing a point-blank sack on the final drive, Quinn didn't see it coming

-Ko Simpson fails to make an interception on the final drive

-Leodis McKelvin fails to make an interception on the final drive

Other than Corner's sack, none of these are particularly easy plays...but none of them are impossible plays! Any one of these guys could have won us this game, and the truth is that the players just didn't step up and get the job done with the game on the line.

The coaching wasn't perfect: the one obvious error imo was the absence of any further passes at the end to try to set up a shorter field goal. But don't talk to me about coaching this week. The running game came together, the pass rush stepped up (thanks in large part to schemes), but the players just didn't win the game when they had reasonable chances to do so.

This is a young team that let a huge win get away from them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Individual players not coming up big, and not making the plays they needed to make, is what cost us this game. Jackson's fumble is one instance. But off the top of my head, if any of the following plays are made, we probably win this game.

-Lindell's field goal

-Corner missing a point-blank sack on the final drive, Quinn didn't see it coming

Other than Corner's sack, none of these are particularly easy plays...but none of them are impossible plays! Any one of these guys could have won us this game, and the truth is that the players just didn't step up and get the job done with the game on the line.

The coaching wasn't perfect: the one obvious error imo was the absence of any further passes at the end to try to set up a shorter field goal. But don't talk to me about coaching this week. The running game came together, the pass rush stepped up (thanks in large part to schemes), but the players just didn't win the game when they had reasonable chances to do so.

McKelvin almost made a great play on the interception. Can't blame him. He went for it. Plus he was awesome on returns. Roscoe redeemed himself on the last punt rturn, but his inability to catch the ball or not position himself properly cost the Bills almost 50 yards on 2 punts. Corner's miss on Quinn was pathetic.

agreed, a few big plays made by players get you wins. the ones you mentioned are perfect examples. Each week we're leaving plays on the field that could change the results - lack of plays on the ball in the air by Royal and Hardy stand out to me over the past month.

McKelvin did do his thing on special teams, and I was surprised at how well he held up when Greer left. He had a great night.

Still, he had both hands on the ball for what could have been a game-winning interception. He's just one of several guys who had chances to put a tick in the win column for us, and failed to step up with the game on the line.

It wasn't an easy play, but it certainly wasn't an impossible one either.

McKelvin did do his thing on special teams, and I was surprised at how well he held up when Greer left. He had a great night.

Still, he had both hands on the ball for what could have been a game-winning interception. He's just one of several guys who had chances to put a tick in the win column for us, and failed to step up with the game on the line.

It wasn't an easy play, but it certainly wasn't an impossible one either.

Look, I'm sorry, but you're being an idiot. OK. just an idiot. McKelvin had a kickoff return for a TD at exactly the time when we needed it the most to stay in the game. He made great plays as the CB when Greer got injured. Not to mention all the really good kick off returns to near mid field. And, this is the guy you chose to talk about needing to make a play??? Come on. There's plenty of idiots on this board. Don't be one.

We lost this game for one reason Trent played scared and the coaches became afraid of him in return. To suggest that someone else should have made a play is completely ignoring that huge elephant over there named Trent.

Look, I'm sorry, but you're being an idiot. OK. just an idiot. McKelvin had a kickoff return for a TD at exactly the time when we needed it the most to stay in the game. He made great plays as the CB when Greer got injured. Not to mention all the really good kick off returns to near mid field. And, this is the guy you chose to talk about needing to make a play??? Come on. There's plenty of idiots on this board. Don't be one.

We lost this game for one reason Trent played scared and the coaches became afraid of him in return. To suggest that someone else should have made a play is completely ignoring that huge elephant over there named Trent.

Yes...

:thumbsup:

I'm not commenting on his overall performance at all. And I'm not taking anything away from how miserable Trent was.

ALL I am saying is that McKelvin had a chance to make a big play that would have won us this game, and did not make it. Is that in any way untrue?

My point is that several players had chances to win this game for us, and did not do it, so I don't want to hear about coaching this week.

My point is that several players had chances to win this game for us, and did not do it, so I don't want to hear about coaching this week.

It's a good point. Yes, Edwards was miserable. But if you're going to be a good TEAM someone needs to step up at times an make a play. Did we sack Quinn tonight? The defense did not have a takeaway against a bad team with a QB getting his second start in a road Monday night game. This bunch clearly is not ready for prime time. When TE was playing well, he covered up a lot of flaws. Now when he is struggling , those flaws are magnified. Playoff teams find ways to win games, even if the QB has a bad day. There were many opportunities to win this game, and plays were not made. But TE must play better for the team to have a chance. He didn't make it easy tonight.

It's a good point. Yes, Edwards was miserable. But if you're going to be a good TEAM someone needs to step up at times an make a play. Did we sack Quinn tonight? The defense did not have a takeaway against a bad team with a QB getting his second start in a road Monday night game. This bunch clearly is not ready for prime time. When TE was playing well, he covered up a lot of flaws. Now when he is struggling , those flaws are magnified. Playoff teams find ways to win games, even if the QB has a bad day. There were many opportunities to win this game, and plays were not made. But TE must play better for the team to have a chance. He didn't make it easy tonight.

Trent's loofah called. Tomorrow's appointment has been changed until 7 AM so Trent can sleep in a little.

Seriously Boone, are you Jauron's PR agent or something? Can you not see what everyone else does and realize that we're always "in a position to win" because Dick plays conservative, nutless football and if he took some freakin' chances then we wouldn't need last second field goals to win games against teams with much less talent than us like Denver last year, Oakland and now Cleveland?

I respect your opinion but regardless of those players not making plays at those points in the game, they still had a chance to win at the end. And Jauron BLEW IT but playing against the odds and trying a 47 yard field goal IN THE WIND when a couple of gutsy play calls could have made that a 32 yard chip shot.

I'm telling you Boone, my friend played for Jauron and he warned me at the time of hire that this is how he coaches. He warned me that Jauron cannot win the big game. Tonight further proved his point.

-Lindell's field goal

I got admit, you are consistent.

For the past few weeks, people have been complaining about the lack of a pass rush, no blitzing, and crappy o-line play.

And you blamed the players for the losses.

Now, when the team does generate a pass rush, the team does blitz, and the -o-line did play better, you still blame the players for the loss.

It's not Jauron's / coaching staff's fault the play calling was wretched at the end.

It's not Jauron's / coaching staff's fault the team wasted 4 time outs because the coaching staff could not figure out what to do in time.

Good luck in your fantasy world where Jauron the GM is an idiot, but Jauron the coach is the greatest coach alive.

-Lindell's field goal

Corner's miss on that sack was the biggest play of the game.

Seriously Boone, are you Jauron's PR agent or something? Can you not see what everyone else does and realize that we're always "in a position to win" because Dick plays conservative, nutless football and if he took some freakin' chances then we wouldn't need last second field goals to win games against teams with much less talent than us like Denver last year, Oakland and now Cleveland?

I respect your opinion but regardless of those players not making plays at those points in the game, they still had a chance to win at the end. And Jauron BLEW IT but playing against the odds and trying a 47 yard field goal IN THE WIND when a couple of gutsy play calls could have made that a 32 yard chip shot.

I'm telling you Boone, my friend played for Jauron and he warned me at the time of hire that this is how he coaches. He warned me that Jauron cannot win the big game. Tonight further proved his point.

I admit readily that the playcalling at the end was the one major error from the coaching staff. Why in the world would you rely on a 45-yarder, against a wind that was a major factor in special teams play all night long? They had plenty of time and two timeouts, and Edwards finally looked confident on the pass to Royal. There's no defending their decision to set up a tough kick from Lindell, rather than trying to make it a chip shot.

Still, that call never would have existed if Trent played better, or Jackson didn't fumble, or McKelvin or Simpson stepped up, or Corner connected on the sack. This team was put in a position to win the football game, and the players repeatedly allowed this game to slip through their fingers.

And ya know what? Yes, the field goal may have been shorter, and the outcome of the game may have been different, if the playcalling at the end was more aggressive. But that doesn't change the fact that Lindell is perfectly capable of making that kick. One more example of players failing to make the plays this team needed to win.

I got admit, you are consistent.

For the past few weeks, people have been complaining about the lack of a pass rush, no blitzing, and crappy o-line play.

And you blamed the players for the losses.

Now, when the team does generate a pass rush, the team does blitz, and the -o-line did play better, you still blame the players for the loss.

It's not Jauron's / coaching staff's fault the play calling was wretched at the end.

It's not Jauron's / coaching staff's fault the team wasted 4 time outs because the coaching staff could not figure out what to do in time.

Good luck in your fantasy world where Jauron the GM is an idiot, but Jauron the coach is the greatest coach alive.

First of all, are you under the impression that the players decided to blitz? Are you actually unwilling to credit the coaching staff for their own schemes?

Secondly, I don't think Jauron is the greatest coach in the world. I think we don't know what he is yet, and we won't until he has the personnel he needs to run his system. He needs quality interior offensive linemen, and the Cover 2 must have a defensive line that can generate rush on its own. Indy had Freeney, Mathis and Booger when they won it all. When Tampa was dominant, they had Booger, Simeon Rice and Warren Sapp. Jauron's 13-3 Bears got 19.5 sacks combined between two players. The Bills d-line just doesn't match up, and thats why their record doesn't match up either.