Favorite 80's or early 90's Pro Wrestler?

EndZoneCrew

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... I never knew the whole story about Yukon Eric... My father would always hint that he (my father) would make the rounds in BFLO watching wrestling during the his "single days"... Sometimes my father said the promoters would recruit him to be thrown into the crowds and get the chicks all "stirred up." :thumbsup::wallbash: He probably knew Yukon Eric! :wallbash::wallbash:

Now I know why dad didn't say too much of his "single days" around mom! :w00t::w00t:

Yukon Eric grew up in Aberdeen, near Seattle, Washington, with three sisters. He attended Washington State University (then known as Washington State College) and played football, lettering with the varsity team in 1938 as a sophomore.

During the his heyday in the 1950s, he lived in a trailer in Ridgeway, Ontario. Joseph Lazar, who owned the Maroon Grill in downtown Buffalo, was Eric's business manager, mentor and friend. His family adopted Eric, and Yuke was in many family afairs. Lazar's son, Spencer Lazar, contacted SLAM! Wrestling, and shared these delightful memories of what he remembers of Yukon Eric:

Great thread!

I'm older than yall.

Dominic Dinucci

Pampero Firpo (reincarnated as The Dean)

Bobo Brazil

Ernie Ladd

Abdullah the Butcher

Oh yeah?

Tarzan Tyler

The Medics

Haystack Calhoun

Dick the Bruiser

Ivan Putski

The Great Malenko (one of my favorites....SO over the top)

Arn Anderson

Nick Bockwinkle

Lou Thez

Bruno Samartino

1. Bret "Hitman" Hart. - From the Hart foundation days. To the 1st ladder matches with Shawn Michales. To being the guy who was responsible for making Stone Cold Steve Austin's career. to the Montreal Screw Job. To the disgrace of his wcw run. The Best there is. The Best there was, and the best there ever will be. PERIOD!

2. Jake "The Snake" Roberts.- It's a true shame what happened to this guy's personell life. Nobody in the history of wrestling was better at promos. Awesome face and heel

3. Mr. Perfect. Also great on the mic. was fun to watch in the ring as well. The mr. perfect montage still reamins a classic. Simply Perfect.

4. Macho Man Randy Savage- the guy that got me into watching wrestling as a kid. Followed his career from the early 90's- thru his final wcw run.

5. The Undertaker- He's the friggen Undertaker and he owned.

I always liked George "The Animal" Steele, whose big move was to chew the turnbuckle and then ram his opponent's head into it.

A couple of others:

Bruiser Brody

Big Daddy Bundy, who turned into King Kong Bundy when he hit the WWF

my 10 year old is enthralled by WWE, so much so that he started growing his hair long in the summer to be ready for his Jeff Hardy costume on Halloween. kids are eating up this WWE thing, its amazing, maybe they have decided to go after that demographic, whatever the case, the matches are sold out or near sell outs everywhere, maybe its just a sign you need to watch grown up tv now

<_<

I was flipping through the channels yesterday and I came across some repeat of a modern WWE wrestling match. I watched it for about 2 minutes, and I decided that I wish I would have had the last 2 minutes of my life back. I remember growing up and LOVING the WWF back in the day. Is it that the characters were funnier, better actors, or was it because I was young and did not know any better? Anyways there are clips that still show many of the old matches on MSG and I have to admit I love seeing some of these old guys on there.....My favorites have to be:

Announcer: Jesse "The Body" and Gorilla Monsoon.....wow they make me laugh

Wrestlers: So many to choose from but I loved Andre the Giant and Roddy Piper

Managers: Jimmy Hart and Bobby Heenan

Anyone else?

Growing up in Buffalo, two wrestling memories. Saturday afternoon wrestling on TV with "classical gas" as the theme song for the show and then the sometimes lame wrestling show that aired on canadian TV also on Saturday....I have vivid memories of Billy Red Lyons(who always looked like he was 70) and a deaf wrestler(whose name escapes me) who was always the punching bag for his opponent.

Favorite wrestling name of all time...The Unpredictable Johnny Rodz. <_<