As a QB who does Edwards most remind you of

JimmyPage

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early in his career, but the Buffalo Bill he most reminds me of is probably more Ferguson. The bombers (La Monica, Bledsoe, Kelly et. al) don't seem the best comparison, and I think he has some qualities (but more talent) than Kemp (although Kemp threw the long ball better...he was referred to, as KRC might be able to verify, as having one of the strongest arms in football at the time.). I think Trent may be more talented than Ferguson but I think of the bunch I'd have to go with him as the most comparable.

In the entire NFL? I think he's in the Montana style, but that's a huge hall of fame comparison and TE had better play a full season or two and get us a superbowl ring before I'd go too far down that route.

I know this is a joke (HAS to be...Marino's deep ball?)...but...

I really hope Trent turns out to have many of those, but it is a little early to know exactly how tough he is. Kelly was one tough SOB. Trent has yet to have the opportunity to show that kind of toughness. But, I trust he is tough enough.

I was referring to the trajectory of his deep balls Trent doesnt lob bombs or at least he hasnt yet. He throws his deep balls on a line.

Kelly was tough. Trent took a huge pounding at stanford. He proved hes tough QB. But i agree that he hasnt had the opportunity to prove his toughness in the NFL.

In no way am I saying that trent edwards is already as good as those hall of famers. But the question was who does trent most remind you of. So I threw some of trents characteristics that remind of some HOF qbs.

Hopefully, he only gets better.

Montana seems to be the consensus, which would be fine with me. I think Edwards is a little bigger and possibly a little brighter (from hearing Joe talk).

Montana had football intelligence.Off the field it doesn't translate obviously.

Lets not quite put TE into the Montana category yet....lol...but yes TE does have the cool and the focus that Joe had.

As blasphemous as it may be, im gonna have to go with Tom Brady. Neither of them have the strongest arms in the world but both are very intelligent players, they both stay calm in the pocket, and most importantly-they both come in, in the clutch being able to lead scoring drives when it matters the most.

Edwards is able to do it all without cheating though which makes him even better

. :D

And, no infections in his knee! <knocking on wood>

Not really answering the question, however, I wanted to point out as a young qb Edwards is even better than his early stats would indicate. He's played in a few games where the weather was impossible to play in. Versus Cleveland and NY last year no qb could play in those games. Discounting those two he's basically played 13 games. In those games he is 234 -362 (65%) for 2,554 yards 10 tds and 7 ints. Really, that's as good as anyone. Probably like Montana (hopefully) as far as very accurate, quick reads, spreads the ball around and performs well under pressure. I hope he keeps it up against Miami because I can't believe how good he's been this year and I'm waiting for him to take a step back. As long as he gets protected pretty well maybe he'll keep it going.

Guest dog14787

To me its Joe Montana or Tom Brady with a quicker release and better wheels then both of them.

TE leads by example and what an example he makes. To be knocked out cold with the hit he took and then to come back showing zero fear and even more determination then ever is truly amazing. TE makes every player in the Bills locker room better just by his example, wow, what a warrior :D

By the end of preseason 2007, I was raving about the next great NFL quarterback to the people at work. After I got back from opening day I must have been pretty po'd that the Bills were still starting JP and let everyone at work know. One of my friends at work took my words and wrote them down & asked me to sign them. Here's what he wrote for me to sign:

"9/10/07

Trent Edwards is Joe Montana, Dan Marino & Tom Brady all in one player."

At that point I objected, since it didn't explain my opinion properly. I then wrote in why I felt that way:

"The coolness of Montana, The release of Marino, The mind of Brady."

I then signed it. It is sitting in a co-worker's desk & I have a photocopy hanging on my wall at work and have copies at home as evidence that I saw the greatness before he ever played in a regular season game.

13 days later I went to the game in New England and after Edwards entered the game & drove the Bills right down the field I told a Patriots fan that the moment Edwards entered the game was the Bills'equivalent of when Tom Brady replaced Drew Bledsoe for the Patriots in 2001. Ironically, it was September 23, 2001 in Foxboro when Brady entered the game to replace an injured Bledsoe and it was September 23, 2007 in Foxboro when Edwards entered the game to replace an injured Losman.