Anatomy of a Play

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bdbf45

Great stuff! It's so cool to see it unfold exactly the way he describes it.

I wonder how Rivers feels about it now. In the post game press conference, he said that Mitchel made a great play, and he didn't see him, and wasn't sure if he should/could have. He kept saying that he would make that throw again...but, would wait until he looked at the tape to be sure.

I wonder how Rivers feels about it now. In the post game press conference, he said that Mitchel made a great play, and he didn't see him, and wasn't sure if he should/could have. He kept saying that he would make that throw again...but, would wait until he looked at the tape to be sure.

Yeah, I don't know what else his responsibility would be over there with just 1 WR on that side. It was just wild to see him run all the way across the field as if he knew right where the ball would be. I'd be interested to see if that was the only time all game they ran that formation.

Really cool. Great coverage all around on that play, there was no one open. McKelvin (I think it was him) had great coverage 1 on 1 in the corner of the endzone and everyone else was matched up with Mitchell free. If Rivers had looked at him, he wouldn'tve thrown it (obviously) but it didn't look like Mitchell would be moving across the field from Rivers's perspective. Mitchell had great instincts to check Gates and make a move, part of which comes from identifying the play. God I love football.

Really cool. Great coverage all around on that play, there was no one open.

Indeed. To rewatch the play with Kawika's explanation of the coverage scheme -- exactly who was supposed to be doing exactly what on the play -- is to see 11 guys doing everything exactly right. From each player's first step at the snap through the time Kawika snatched the ball out of the air, everything was as it was supposed to be. Wilson's coverage of the endzone, Pozlusny shadowing LT, Bryan creating pressure from the perimeter, the corners running stride for stride with the WRs...

Awesome. :ph34r:

Rivers made a horrible decision on 1st and goal; the safety was inside Gates and would've made that pass an incompletion at least. On that play he should've thrown it away.

IMO, Mitchell was supposed to play the slant but left his post early because the QB never took his eyes off the TE. Greer was supposed to play the fade or out? He wasn't when you look at that replay. If Jabari was 1 on 1 with his receiver, then he did have inside position on him but could've been exploited on the corner route for the TD. On the other side of the field, the WR should've run an out or corner fade and would've gotten a completion if not the 6. This was a badly drawn up play because Mitchell had both the WR and TE covered.

So, your opinion is that Mitchell is full of crap and he made things up as he went along?

Well, if you're bothered to pay attention, you would know that jarthru31 knows FAR more about what is going on, than the coaches, players or anyone, for that matter.

Looks like Scott had pretty good coverage on him as well.

I think it was Wilson wasn't it? #37?

Whoever it was, they did have decent coverage. It looked like the type of timing play where once Gates made his break, the ball should have been there, so I don't know if Wilson could have made a play on the ball or not. It looked like he was behind Gates a little bit.

Well, if you're bothered to pay attention, you would know that jarthru31 knows FAR more about what is going on, than the coaches, players or anyone, for that matter.

I assume you were joking about jarthru31's football acumen. It is impossible for Mitchell to have "left his post early because Rivers never took his eyes off of Gates." There isn't time to determine that and still leave your post early. I believe Mitchell, that he saw the formation and recognized it as the play they practiced defending. That's why he made the adjustment and the play.

I assume you were joking about jarthru31's football acumen. It is impossible for Mitchell to have "left his post early because Rivers never took his eyes off of Gates." There isn't time to determine that and still leave your post early. I believe Mitchell, that he saw the formation and recognized it as the play they practiced defending. That's why he made the adjustment and the play.

Uh...yeah.

And, there really isn't much to wonder about, as Mitchell spells out EXACTLY how, and why, it went down the way it went down.