Michael Huff on a short lease

ganesh

New Raiders era: Tom Cable's first major decision in Oakland as interim coach was putting safety Michael Huff on notice that he could lose his starting job. Huff, the seventh pick in the 2006 draft, is now sharing the safety position with Hiram Elam. Huff is still the starter, but Cable said Elam will now challenge Huff for more playing time. It may not make Al Davis happy to see the seventh pick in a draft heading to the bench, but Huff has clearly struggled in coverage.

The Whitner pick is looking better and better.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Rotoworld:

Raiders FS Michael Huff has been benched. Hiram Eugene will be Oakland's starting free safety moving forward.

The free safety in Oakland's scheme sits back in the deep middle, leading to few tackle chances. However, Huff didn't take advantage of what opportunities he had there and his coverage of tight ends has fallen off markedly since 2007. The No. 7 overall pick in '06 is looking like a bust. Oct. 16 - 6:00 pm et

Source: Oakland Tribune

New Raiders era: Tom Cable's first major decision in Oakland as interim coach was putting safety Michael Huff on notice that he could lose his starting job. Huff, the seventh pick in the 2006 draft, is now sharing the safety position with Hiram Elam. Huff is still the starter, but Cable said Elam will now challenge Huff for more playing time. It may not make Al Davis happy to see the seventh pick in a draft heading to the bench, but Huff has clearly struggled in coverage.

What a reach!

Wait, wasn't there some guy claiming Huff was better than Whitner before the oakland game? I think he had like 250+ posts.

LOL

Yes. Huff has struggled mightly as a first round pick, but he still has some talent and is young enough that I think he could flourish in the right defensive system. I don't expect him to be a Pro Bowler or a top 10 FS in the league, but I think he has the potential to still be an above average player at his position and a starter in this league.

Would you give up a 5th round pick in next year's draft to get him? I would. I like Ko Simpson, but he has so far been injury prone. And, I like George Wilson's hustle/effort, but I think Huff would be an upgrade over Wilson.

Thoughts? a 5th rounder or 6th rounder for Huff?

Michael Huff on a short lease, as per John Clayton

That's a good idea because on those long leases the interest will kill ya. :lol:

Wait, wasn't there some guy claiming Huff was better than Whitner before the oakland game? I think he had like 250+ posts.

Thank God these guys don't run the FO even though they KNOW they could run it better. The obvious coming posts will say. "It was still too early to take him they could have dropped down and taken him."

Huff was so good in college too. A big hit/big play machine. All over the field.

Oakland should try and move him to Strong Safety and see what kind of results they get. Their season is a wash, might as well tinker. Besides, they might get lucky and nut-job Davis will be happier with him not riding the pine.

Again, some fans are really coming up with ridiculous reasons to justify the Whitner pick. Team leader, character, and now the Michael Huff benching alert???? Come on already. I like Whitner but how many big plays has he really made? I can think of two- the big hit on Chad Johnson last year and the blocked two point conversion against Chris Chambers of Miami two years ago. That's it folks. It was a huge mistake passing Ngata and please don't try to pitifully justify it otherwise.

:lol:

Again, some fans are really coming up with ridiculous reasons to justify the Whitner pick. Team leader, character, and now the Michael Huff benching alert???? Come on already. I like Whitner but how many big plays has he really made? I can think of two- the big hit on Chad Johnson last year and the blocked two point conversion against Chris Chambers of Miami two years ago. That's it folks. It was a huge mistake passing Ngata and please don't try to pitifully justify it otherwise.

Just curious, how many big plays has Ngata made?

How many big plays has whitner allowed?

....It was a huge mistake passing Ngata and please don't try to pitifully justify it otherwise.....

So you're saying that after getting new coaches(including DC).....and deciding on a system that they would run......we should have drafted a player that didn't fit the system? Or perhaps we should have changed the system based upon one 'potential' player who may never have panned out?

So you're saying that after getting new coaches(including DC).....and deciding on a system that they would run......we should have drafted a player that didn't fit the system? Or perhaps we should have changed the system based upon one 'potential' player who may never have panned out?

By your logic Marcus Stroud doesn't fit "the system" either, yet the Bills traded a 3rd and 5th round pick to get him. Again, the illogical justification perpetuates. :lol::lol::lol:

By your logic Marcus Stroud doesn't fit "the system" either, yet the Bills traded a 3rd and 5th round pick to get him. Again, the illogical justification perpetuates. :lol::lol::lol:

How so?

A wonderful person would do a little research before shoving his foot in his mouth.....and highlighting it with 3 wallbashes no less....

N'gata......6'4" 345lbs.....Immovable object

Stroud.....6'6" 310lbs.....Penetrating attacker

How so?

A wonderful person would do a little research before shoving his foot in his mouth.....and highlighting it with 3 wallbashes no less....

N'gata......6'4" 345lbs.....Immovable object

Stroud.....6'6" 310lbs.....Penetrating attacker

Exactly. Get it jackoff??? They could have had Ngata with the 1st pick in the draft. Instead, they traded a 2nd and 3rd to get McCargo who's a bust, and then had to spend an additional 3rd and 5th rounder to get Stroud. With those extra picks I'm sure they could have found an average safety which Whitner is. Were you Matt Millen's assistant in Detroit?

:lol::lol::lol:

Ahh yes, the brilliant "big play" argument. Because that's how all defenders should be measured. Will you be attending Larry Brown's HOF induction ceremony?

B-) indeed.

Exactly. Get it jackoff??? They could have had Ngata with the 1st pick in the draft. Instead, they traded a 2nd and 3rd to get McCargo who's a bust, and then had to spend an additional 3rd and 5th rounder to get Stroud. With those extra picks I'm sure they could have found an average safety which Whitner is. Were you Matt Millen's assistant in Detroit?

:lol::lol::lol:

Again with the aggression....the wallbashing.....and the foot in the mouth.

My point was......

You refuted this with......

By your logic Marcus Stroud doesn't fit "the system" either

I point out that Stroud actually does fit the system & is a totally different style of player to N'Gata........and your response back is confusing to say the least.

LOL

Yes. Huff has struggled mightly as a first round pick, but he still has some talent and is young enough that I think he could flourish in the right defensive system. I don't expect him to be a Pro Bowler or a top 10 FS in the league, but I think he has the potential to still be an above average player at his position and a starter in this league.

Would you give up a 5th round pick in next year's draft to get him? I would. I like Ko Simpson, but he has so far been injury prone. And, I like George Wilson's hustle/effort, but I think Huff would be an upgrade over Wilson.

Thoughts? a 5th rounder or 6th rounder for Huff?

I see a Dallas making a play for him....What else is new.....Dallas, Washington, and NE the teams with the big money always go after these players and some how that talent clicks in those places....I see Roy Williams on the axe in Dallas, and this may work perfectly for them.

McCargo > Huff

It's funny 'cause it's true. :lol:

Dibs I love reading your posts because they are intelligently thought out and often times you are able to support them with stats. I just wonder how you don't go nuts arguing with these fools all the time.

B-);):wallbash:

Oh, now that you put it that way I see your point and your obviously the smarter one here. :worthy:

He did get penalyzed and i would hardly call a quck slant that the reciver broke away getting burned. I call it a very well executed play by the raiders

Yup, he was hit withan unsportsmanlike i believe, and he came out afterwards and said that he did it on purpose cause he did not like others disrespecting his team and team mates like the Raiders player did by showboating into the endzone

Huff was so good in college too. A big hit/big play machine. All over the field.

Oakland should try and move him to Strong Safety and see what kind of results they get. Their season is a wash, might as well tinker. Besides, they might get lucky and nut-job Davis will be happier with him not riding the pine.

he played strong his first two years, where he was counted on for run support (which he isn't strong at). the thinking was that moving him to free would let him be more of a playmaker, which seemingly has failed also.

Dibs I love reading your posts because they are intelligently thought out and often times you are able to support them with stats. I just wonder how you don't go nuts arguing with these fools all the time.

No doubt. I couldn't begin to count the number of times Dibs has completely ended an argument with well-thought, factually supported statements, only to get an "I know you are but what am I response" in return. It's kinda funny sometimes just to watch.

.....I just wonder how you don't go nuts arguing with these fools all the time......

I'm a sucker for the "I am soooo right" type post when there are many factors which have obviously been ignored.

They quite often open up conversations with other posters on the interesting intricacies of each subject......where good discussion can be had.

Being honest......I don't like the concept that a 'radical' ill-thought opinion goes unchecked as it could lead to the reinforcement of common misconceptions. Having a slew of posters backing each other up over irrational logic would really drive me nuts.......and IMO bring down the quality of this 1st class forum.

I'm a sucker for the "I am soooo right" type post when there are many factors which have obviously been ignored.

They quite often open up conversations with other posters on the interesting intricacies of each subject......where good discussion can be had.

Being honest......I don't like the concept that a 'radical' ill-thought opinion goes unchecked as it could lead to the reinforcement of common misconceptions. Having a slew of posters backing each other up over irrational logic would really drive me nuts.......and IMO bring down the quality of this 1st class forum.

Amen brutha, I'm glad somebody has the desire to do so. Whenever I can I like to help you out. I can't think of one time I've disagreed with you because your arguments are well thought out. Keep going. Somebody's gotta do it.

Who was it you were arguing with that kept moving the goalposts on you and couldn't admit they were wrong. That was B-) funny. ;)

Amen brutha, I'm glad somebody has the desire to do so. Whenever I can I like to help you out. I can't think of one time I've disagreed with you because your arguments are well thought out. Keep going. Somebody's gotta do it.

Who was it you were arguing with that kept moving the goalposts on you and couldn't admit they were wrong. That was B-) funny. ;)

I'm not going to name him......he seems like a good bloke apart from his fixations. (Also don't want to risk opening up the same can of worms again :wallbash:)

;)

:wallbash:

:worthy:

Wouldn't it be cool if you could just use the wallbashes as your SIG, that would save you some time. B-)

what happens to Huff now doesnt make Whitner look any better or worse...LET IT GO

comparing any player to someone that plays on the Raiders is a complete waste of time

It's funny 'cause it's true. B-)

Also, Huff was another one of those players like Benson, I thought was taken too high (although I did want the Bills to take him, just cause I'm a homer).

Perhaps something about UT causes players to be drafted too high?

Again, some fans are really coming up with ridiculous reasons to justify the Whitner pick.

B-)

;)

It's really amazing isn't it?

Whitner is a nice team leader, but my guess is that if the FO had to do it again, they'd take Ngata.

The only reason they passed on him was because they planned to get cute and trade back into the first round to nab McCargo. They felt that he would be adequate at the all-important DT position. Had they known at the time that they were dead wrong about McCargo, they would have passed on Whitner and taken the premium DT.

Unfortunately, they misjudged the situation badly and the defense has paid for it since.

It's really amazing isn't it?

Whitner is a nice team leader, but my guess is that if the FO had to do it again, they'd take Ngata.

The only reason they passed on him was because they planned to get cute and trade back into the first round to nab McCargo. They felt that he would be adequate at the all-important DT position. Had they known at the time that they were dead wrong about McCargo, they would have passed on Whitner and taken the premium DT.

Unfortunately, they misjudged the situation badly and the defense has paid for it since.

With Whitner's level of play and leadership you think they'd make a different pick with hindsight being 20/20?

With Whitner's level of play and leadership you think they'd make a different pick with hindsight being 20/20?

Would they have made the Whitner pick and passed on Ngata had they known that McCargo was not a starting-caliber NFL player? I doubt it.

B-)

;)

:wallbash:

So are we ignoring the fact that many people around the league consider Whitner a star?

Would they have made the Whitner pick and passed on Ngata had they known that McCargo was not a starting-caliber NFL player? I doubt it.

Why would we want Ngata? Don't get me wrong, he's a good player... but he can't penetrate gaps, and our system requires a Tommie Harris type DT and not Pat Williams.